BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, I had a J&M CB2003-DU installed alst week, and was fortunate enough to have a friend adjust the antenna for me. It worked fine until tonight, when for no reason at all, it became stuck in transmit mode, as though one of the PTT buttons was pressed. Upon switching it on, it bleeps as it always does and then plays the radio or CD for an instant, before beginning to transmit. It will not respond to pressing the PTT buttons, nor any of the buttons on the unit itself. It's stuck on channel 5, the last channel I used. I looked at the wiring that was visible, but nothing seems disconnected or out of place. The only thing I noticed was that when turning the bars full right (pulling the throttle side toward me) it squeaks like two pieces of rubber going past each other. No cables seem to be overly taught, but that's the only anomaly I see. Any ideas, oh wise ones?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Joe,

Try unhooking the power, not just turning it off. If a processor got locked it may still see some current and not reset itself. Look for the inline fuse holder, a red lump and remove the cover and fuse for a minute, then reinstall and see if it still does it. Should be under the seat, likely near the battery.

If you can't find that, disconnect a battery wire for a moment (ensure alarm is off) to do the same thing. May lose radio presets...

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
The problem is...

... an undocumented mode that can lock the setup. You should see a lock symbol on the display. Hold the HI/LOW power switch down for about 3-5 seconds and the lock symbol will disappear and you can control again. Whatever mode you are in when you engage the lock will stick. IN your case this is transmit.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to those who responded. I checked the unit and the lock function is not engaged. I tried to find the fuse, but the installer must have buried it somewhere in the tupperware, and I don't want to loosen the battery cable because of all the other farkles attached to it. I called the guys at Sierra Communications where I bought the equipment and they suspect a shorted PTT. Which one? Well that requires a dismantling of the tupperware to find it. After paying $600 for this installation, you bet I'm NOT going to take it apart. I'm going to get my money's worth by having the dealer do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts