BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So did all my winter things and was buttoning the 2000 lt up and now I am getting a fast brake failure light. Also the third brake light and brakes are showing on in back. Any hints or clues all? It sounds like under tank that it is ticking to go along with brake failure light.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,358 Posts
No way to tell unless you know the fault code. Go here for how to test with out a trip to the dealer or a GS-911 unit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I am an idiot. On the connection by the fuel pump I didn’t seat the connector right. I reseated and the world is better. Sorry for the newbie question.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The point to focus on is you found your problem yourself. That is one step away from being a newbie and one step closer to wrencher extraordinaire!!!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,358 Posts
Ok, I am an idiot. On the connection by the fuel pump I didn’t seat the connector right. I reseated and the world is better. Sorry for the newbie question.
Now here is why that caused your trouble. The brake light switch is a normally closed switch, so that loose connector made the ABS think you were applying the brakes. This "locks" the ABS self test in the first phase mode which is a fast flash. Once you "released" the brakes (seated the connector) the ABS could complete the internal self check.

Now you are just a bit smarter on the operation of the LT. Before 2004 I didn't even know they existed.

Reactions: DRONE

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Now here is why that caused your trouble. The brake light switch is a normally closed switch, so that loose connector made the ABS think you were applying the brakes. This "locks" the ABS self test in the first phase mode which is a fast flash. Once you "released" the brakes (seated the connector) the ABS could complete the internal self check.

Now you are just a bit smarter on the operation of the LT. Before 2004 I didn't even know they existed.
John,
Something is not right in this whole scenario - I am well aware of the reverse-logic on these brake switches for iABS models (with servos), HOWEVER his first post above began with this sentence: "So did all my winter things and was buttoning the 2000 lt ..."
As you know a 2000 models has ABS2 and regular brake switches (open circuit at rest - closed circuit when brake are applied) AND has not the same logic / concerns for applied brake during internal self-check. Something else is going on here -OR- he got the year of his K1200LT wrong in his 1st post.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I am running a 2000lt. After putting everything except for the tupperware on, I turned on and was getting the fast brake blinking. The brakes worked, but not well when I took it for a quick ride while the error was flashing. After I came back, started looking at everything and started with my connections, low and behold there was one down by the fuel pump connector that was fully in. Plugged that in fully, and all is right again. Not sure how, when or why, but I just know that worked.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,358 Posts
John is correct. I am scratching my head trying to think of what else in that area could affect the ABS. But glad it is working OK now.

·
Registered
722 Posts
It could have been a harness heading to the rear brake master cylinder. Brake switch or reservoir level.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts