BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was cruising through St. Louis when I started to feel a rhythmic vibration in the front end. I thought it was just the rough road at first, but then hit some smooth road and it continued. And it was worse in right lean then left. So, I found a place to stop and found a large bulge where the tread has separated from the casing. Much like the last 888 I ran which failed with a bulge (though smaller than this one) and was returned under warranty.

It is holding air so I can ride it, but I don’t want to go too far as it will likely shed a chunk of tread at some point. Now to try to find a place that can swap my front tire. Crap!

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
At least you were not in Alaska!

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Call Gateway BMW 314-427-9090. Ask for Shannon or Ryan. Hopefully they can help you. Good people
That was my second choice, but there were on the wrong side of the site as I was on 64 east of town already. I found Metroeast Motorsports a Victor, Kawasaki, Honda and Polaris dealership and they had a tire of the right size (didn’t check load rating, but it is better than what I have now), were only 6 miles away, and got us right in the shop. The owner came out and talked with us and is a super friendly man as is his wife. They are mounting the tire now. I admit to having a hard time watch someone else ride my bike into their shop, but hopefully they are familiar enough to do the tire OK. I offered to remove the wheel for them as I did at Russellville Honda (they asked me to do that there), but they said they could handle it.

I am glad I was close as the tire was really starting to vibrate and sound like a semi getting ready to shed a retread by the time we got here.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I am done with 888s after I use up the last new one I have at home. I don’t know if they just had a bad batch and I happened to get two tires from that batch or if they have a serious design flaw, but two consecutive failures of the same type on the same model tire at almost the exact same mileage (9,000) is just too much to ignore.

Reactions: Goose11

·
Registered
565 Posts
WOW. I just mounted a new 888 on my LT. I'll set the odometer to begin looking at 9000 miles!

And be very thankful you were so close to help. The remote ride you just did could have had much different consequences.

I was on a 48 state/12 day ride with a friend, and started with a new set of tires. Near the end of the ride in Washington, just getting ready to cross into Montana on Rt 12, I 'happened' to look at my rear tire, and saw the threads. I'm pretty careful about checking the condition of the bike and thought I had plenty of time before i needed a change. Wrong. I was in Lewiston Idaho, typed in 'BMW Metzler tire dealer' and searched. Called the first dealer that came up. I asked if he had a tire that fit my bike, realizing that all the other options were hundreds of miles away. He said yes. I asked that he read the sidewall to be sure it was reinforced, and it was. I said 'how far away am I from you?' He said 'one mile.' Drove there, and took the rear tire off in the parking lot, and less than one hour later we were enjoying the great curves of Route 12.

Grateful for your pictures and daily updates. I've been on many of the same roads, not Alaska yet, and enjoyed the journey with you. Thanks for taking the time

Now, keep us posted to the next rear tire.

Dave

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have Michelin Road 4's on my bike. They were on it when I bought it. I know that you will say that they aren't rated for the LT but they have never been a problem.
I have been noticing for quite some time that our Queensland motorcycle cops use the Road 4 on their bikes and as luck would have it I was pulled over by one the other day for driving in a transit lane. I was in my car. After he wrote my ticket he asked if I had any questions. I asked how he liked his Yamaha. I think the question took him by surprise and we spent the next 20 minutes talking about bikes. He said that after the police force add all the equipment they use to the FJR it comes up pretty close in weight to the LT. I asked how he liked the Road 4 and he said it was the best tyre he has had on a bike. I would tend to think that the Queensland police force would not put a grossly underrated tyre on all their bikes so for now I'm sticking with it.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have Michelin Road 4's on my bike. They were on it when I bought it. I know that you will say that they aren't rated for the LT but they have never been a problem.
I have been noticing for quite some time that our Queensland motorcycle cops use the Road 4 on their bikes and as luck would have it I was pulled over by one the other day for driving in a transit lane. I was in my car. After he wrote my ticket he asked if I had any questions. I asked how he liked his Yamaha. I think the question took him by surprise and we spent the next 20 minutes talking about bikes. He said that after the police force add all the equipment they use to the FJR it comes up pretty close in weight to the LT. I asked how he liked the Road 4 and he said it was the best tyre he has had on a bike. I would tend to think that the Queensland police force would not put a grossly underrated tyre on all their bikes so for now I'm sticking with it.
An FJR has much less weight on the rear than does an LT at their respective maximum weight ratings. Probably 30-40% less.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well he told me that the police bikes weighed in at around 340 kg which is close to the LT.
It isn’t the weight of the bike that matters, it is the weight of the bike, passengers and luggage that matters. My LT is probably right at the 600 kg MGVWR when my wife and I are touring. Most police bikes are ridding solo and they have police equipment, but I doubt that weighs more than the luggage/tools that my wife and I carry when touring. I would be surprised if those FJRs reach even 500 kg in their fully loaded state. And the weight bias is likely more towards the front than on the LT which carries the vast majority of the load on the rear wheel when ridden two up and cases loaded.

There is simply no comparison in the stress the LT puts on the rear tire compared to any other bike save many the Gold Wing.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm still using the ME 880 on my front tire.
I never had trouble with the 880, just the 888. I will probably just buy Bridgestones and earl with the faster wear. Given they are a fair bit cheaper and given that the 888s are only actually lasting 9,000 miles, not the 16-18 of the 880, the BT020s may not be that bad a deal and I will have matched tires on the bike then.

·
Registered
601 Posts
It isn’t the weight of the bike that matters, it is the weight of the bike, passengers and luggage that matters. My LT is probably right at the 600 kg MGVWR when my wife and I are touring. Most police bikes are ridding solo and they have police equipment, but I doubt that weighs more than the luggage/tools that my wife and I carry when touring. I would be surprised if those FJRs reach even 500 kg in their fully loaded state. And the weight bias is likely more towards the front than on the LT which carries the vast majority of the load on the rear wheel when ridden two up and cases loaded.

There is simply no comparison in the stress the LT puts on the rear tire compared to any other bike save many the Gold Wing.
Yes I hear what you are saying and agree but I am mostly a solo rider and have removed the top box and also the six stacker from the right pannier. I guess I really ride it like a big sports bike with room for groceries. :grin:

·
Registered
215 Posts
The only metlers i had bulged also

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
I have run a total 9 ME 880's on the front so far and only one of those ever showed a small bulge and that was noticed as I was taking it off to replace anyway. Guess I won't even try an 888.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts