BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice Winter in New England

snow just won't go away and another ice storm tomorrow

I saw some maintenance schedules on line that showed a difference between the anual service and the 6000 mile service so I called a dealer to see what price was for doing both at same time he said around 500.00 total.

Another dealer said they don't do it that way anymore they just do the one service price=around 500.00

I'd like to do as much of the service work as possible but the dealer said that they need to update the computer and so I would have to bring it in anyway.
Does the computer need to be updated every time?
I plan on getting the gs911 and with that I can reset service sched etc.

any thoughts on any of this?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Your soon to arrive GS-911 can up date the bike computer with the service date and miles. So don't worry about that. Wise idea to get one. You will be able to do most all your own maintenance. Brake bleeding is simple now that there is no servo system, just like the old days again. Tune ups for the newer 1200's consist of keeping the throttle cables to each throttle body with a little slack and even. The bike does an idle air servo set with each start up sequence so that takes care of the "throttle body sync". You are left with fluids. Larger maintenance can be shared with your dealer or if you purchase a factory DVD you will find it very helpful. Valve clearance is easy also. There is the new system of cam finger followers and the hemispherical shims. See this great little photo sequence donated by San Jose BMW.
http://sanjosebmw.smugmug.com/Other/Tech-pictures/10976964_bHf66/1#P-1-10
Keep a log of all work, your receipts for materials consumed. Stick close to the BMW intervals and you will have few issues. The dual cam valves hold their adjustment much longer than the tappet bikes. Your set to burn tires.
You did not mention the year of your bike which changes some of this post possibly.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Not sure what the dealer means by "update the computer every service" other then to reset the service reminder. They can flash an ECU to correct an issue but that should be a few and far between type issue.

Things change but as far as I know the 6k and annual are different. The annual just adds a specific service to the norm such as brake fluid service, trans service, alt belt, etc.
Sometimes they will work out to fall in the same time period. You can do a 6k, annual, or 6k plus annual

The stepper motors do not sync the throttle bodies off idle. Their weight is carried at idle, off idle the TB's are syncd by the cable adjustment. You should still check the sync as recommended and adjust if required.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
As near as I can tell the only major difference between the 6K and annual service is that brake fluid changes are scheduled on a time basis (as time dictates the water absorption), whereas other fluids are changed on a mileage basis. And you can do everything in the 6K service yourself, with or without a GS911 (although it's handy). You will need to make or purchase a throttle body sync gauge as that's done at speed, not idle. And an oil filter wrench and maybe some feeler gauges.

I have 27K on my bike and two years. I had the dealer do the 600 mile and 6000 mile, and then purchased a Twin Max (~$100) and a GS-911 (~$300) to do the 12K, 18K and 24K services. The GS911 isn't necessary but it's nice to have, and if changing the service reminder is a vital thing then you do need it. So I've had the opportunity for three 6000 mile services (12K, 18K, 24K) at around $500 each = $1500, which I've avoided by spending $400 for tools plus maybe $150 more for parts (oil, oil filter etc.). I've already paid myself back for the tools three times over. I did have the dealer do the brake fluid change as ABS brakes and I seem to have a love-hate relationship that I don't like to test. But the brake fluid change is considered an add-on to the 6K to make it the annual.

So, to sum up: if you don't mind getting your hands dirty, and have the tools, doing the work yourself is very gratifying. And you will definitely do a better job than the shop does just because you care. After paying the dealer for the 6K service, which included throttle body sync, I put the Twin Max on myself. I found that the throttle bodies were off-sync 2 units at 4000 rpm, which is big. I adjusted the cables and got them to within 0.25 unit, and it smoothed out the bike tremendously.

Jim VonBaden has some excellent DVDs for sale, as well as very valuable pictorials on how to do some of the basic maintenance yourself.

JayJay

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the great comments my bike is 2011 rt.

I've only found one place on-line to buy gs-911 and that wasn't in u.s. does anyone know of any other places to buy the gs-911?

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
twincruise said:
thanks for the great comments my bike is 2011 rt.

I've only found one place on-line to buy gs-911 and that wasn't in u.s. does anyone know of any other places to buy the gs-911?
I didn't google it, butt just happened to be reading the BMW ON mag and Ted Porter's BeemerShop out in Scotts Valley, CA has both versions. They are an Authorized Distributor USA. Try beemershop.com and see what comes up. Good luck.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Here's the Annual:

Read fault memory
Engine-oil change, with filter
Gearbox-oil change every two years or every 40,000 km
Replace belt for generator every six years or every 40,000 km
Changing brake fluid in Integral ABS wheel circuit, front initially after one year, then every two years
Changing brake fluid in Integral ABS wheel circuit, rear initially after one year, then every two years
Change brake fluid in entire ABS control circuit every four years
Check freedom of movement of throttle cable and checking for kinks and chafing
Check tyre pressures and tread depth
Check lights and signalling equipment
Brake check for Integral ABS
Checking battery charge state
ZFE remains on, because of the deactivation delay. What? ZFE controls socket, not CANbus!!!

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I just had Iron Horse perform the 6000 service on my 2010RT. There is also a recall out on the 2010 which they performed at the same time. It is noted as "CAMPAIGN REPLACING CAMSHAFT SENSOR RING". This of course was covered under warranty.

The 6000 service included:
Engine oil and filter change
Gear oil changed
Brake Fluid flushed front and rear
Battery tested
Valve clearances checked
Throttle bodies synced within 4mbar

The service including the recall work took around 5 hours and the cost was $438. This doesn't seem out of line to me.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I suspect that your hourly shop rate may be a bit more reasonable than we pay here in Califor-nye-ay. It's been a while since I've had any shop work done but my recollection is that it's in the 80's or 90's per hour, so your 5 hours in labor would eat up a chunk of change.

The 5 hours sounds about right, though.

JayJay

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
FYI, when the dealer said update the computer he was not referring to resetting the service indicator.

He means to ensure that the bike computer has the latest version. They have fairly frequent updates. For example my '05 is on version 6 and I think they are up to 20 or better by now. I do not plan to let them update.

The GS911 will not do a computer update.

and... an "Annual" is basically the same as the 6k service* If you are not riding 6k miles in 12 months the system is telling you to ride more... :p

*the exception to this is the "annual/6k" that falls on the ones that call for brake system maintenance...IIRC that is 18k, 36k etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts