BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all....
Here’s an RT question...why BMW does certain things is a mystery....so when I had my GS my Nav V had a key lock, but my new RT simply anyone can push the side button and boom, got your self a garmin...I realize one could simply remove and store every time you stop, just one more thing to do....I see there is some Wunderlich products, but gets bad reviews...someone must have designed something to cover the release button...just a U shaped piece of metal screwed into the cowling or something....any thoughts appreciated...

·
Registered
103 Posts
While it's good to see that Oldtimers has kit to address this issue I would still ask, why didn't BMW have the locking system that controls the panniers include the same function for the nav unit?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stooie,
You’re correct! Same goes with wonder wheel for the Nav unit.. now you need to use the menu button.. make a number of inputs, where before just needed to roll the wheel... just need to get use to it.. probably just keep the nav in the cubby around town...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yeah .... frustrating for sure but honestly I never worry about my GPS and if I am worried I just pop it out and put it in the top case. Have 27K on my 2016 RT and have ridden to Des Moines, Salt Lake, Nova Scotia, around Superior and most recently 10 days out to the midwest. Never removed the GPS when we stopped., only at night when bike was parked at the hotel under cover. I guess I figure most folks won't mess with a motorcycle or my gear. Leave my jacket and helmet on the seat too.

Reactions: James F. Carlisle

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish I had your public trust...guess I’ve seen too many thefts....I guess I’ll do the same...thanks..safe riding...love the RT!

·
Cat Herder
1,445 Posts

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
I considered the high-tech integrated central locking option but instead went for the manual security kit from Wunderlich.
Wunderlich Nav lock.png

Once locked with the key the Nav security is in place whenever I am off the bike and without the need to use central locking - at home, parked in town, while paying for petrol. The Nav has been on the bike permanently ever since I fitted the security kit.

Ian

·
Registered
893 Posts
I wish I had your public trust...guess I’ve seen too many thefts....I guess I’ll do the same...thanks..safe riding...love the RT!
Honestly if I lived in a big city or commuted on my bike or parked on the street in urban areas for hours on end I might feel differently. But my bike is usually not out of my sight for more than a lunch or breakfast stop and usually in a "safe" location. Me and my buddies have been riding for 30+ years each and I've ridden all across the US and never had any issues. The only issue was on buddy was with another guy in Canada I believe back in the 70's and ht other guy had his helmet stolen. That is the only story I've ever heard of any sort of theft. But I am pretty careful about where I park and for how long. It really is easy to just pop out the NAV and stick it in my top box or just out or sight.

Back BMW doing stuff that makes no sense ... have no clue why they just did not make the RT NAV/windshield work like the K1600 whereby when the bike if off and the shield is down the NAV cannot be removed. But that would make sense and hey we ARE talking about BMW.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Appreciate all the advice....switching gears...even though I have not amassed many miles yet...I am really impressed with the reports on line of the Werks quiet ride windshield....just wondering if anyone has it on their RT? OEM ok, but I’m 6-3 and need to have it all the way up to create any kind of bubble...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Have a Werks on my 2016 R1200RT and it is fine. It is marketed as "quiet ride" and it does seem much quieter than the stock but the buffeting is only partially improved. I too am 6'3" and am running the 26" I believe. I did not want to go with a 28" barn door.

Also had a Ztechnik V-stream on my 2006 RT and really liked it a lot. The V-stream in my opinion (and I am sure not everyone) is more scratch resistant. When I sold my '06 RT after 10 years the V-stream looked almost like new with only a few road "dings" but no scratches.

What I liked about the Werks is that it's available in a light gray tint which I preferred on my Platinum Bronze RT.

So in my opinion both are good products it's just a matter of what works best for you and what is most important. For me both are much better than stock.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great...so, now I need to decide on the size...hmmmm? Guess I’m Going to call them this week...it’s all about reducing the wind noise and finding the perfect bubble...
Thanks!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Have a Werks on my 2016 R1200RT and it is fine. It is marketed as "quiet ride" and it does seem much quieter than the stock but the buffeting is only partially improved. I too am 6'3" and am running the 26" I believe. I did not want to go with a 28" barn door.
I am 5'11" and ride with my sargent seat in the high position.

I've had my 26" Werks for about 6 months now. It does not need to be raised as high as the stock windscreen to provide less buffeting and, in my experience, a much quieter ride. For me it is quieter enough for me to turn down the volume on my in helmet music a couple of notches and still get better sound, and even take/make the occasional phone call when necessary.

I used to use a BMW Sport windscreen in the summer because of the extra airflow, but I've kept on my Werks this season because the quiet trumps the increased airflow of the shorter screen IMO.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great thanks... I did pull the trigger on the Areoflow tall touring... a number of reviews/videos convinced me... was hard decision... I’ll do a follow up..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all....
Here’s an RT question...why BMW does certain things is a mystery....so when I had my GS my Nav V had a key lock, but my new RT simply anyone can push the side button and boom, got your self a garmin...I realize one could simply remove and store every time you stop, just one more thing to do....I see there is some Wunderlich products, but gets bad reviews...someone must have designed something to cover the release button...just a U shaped piece of metal screwed into the cowling or something....any thoughts appreciated...
When you press the Burton it lifts a hook above the GPS. If you simply put a wedge where the hook lifts, one can’t remove the GPS. I used a piece of wood painted black so it blends in. Anyone who knows the RT can figure this out, but if you are trying to stop the marginally honest, this works. I don’t leave my GPS on the bike overnight, but don’t remove it when I stop for lunch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You’re right....so what I did was construct out of 1” wide thin metal a upside down U with wings that I fitted over the button and using small screws secured to the cowling, painted black and done. With the windshield down virtually impossible to remove without a lot of effort...in a perfect world we wouldn’t have to worry about such things..and why Bmw engineers didn’t key lock is surprising...
Thanks for your response...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Like TJ Rider noted ... someone would have to know how to remove the GPS to begin with ... heck they'd have to know it even comes out. So based on that and my positive experience of never ever having any of my stuff touched what is on the bike ... I never worry about it. There have only been maybe 2 or 3 time in my 25+ years riding that I locked stuff up when parked. Overnight at a hotel I always take it in with me but that is usually because I am mapping out routes for the following day.

Reactions: James F. Carlisle

·
Registered
24 Posts
Like Ed said. It looks built in. Not that there aren't smart thieves out there or ones who would just push the button to see what happens. I don't tempt fate and usually stow or lock my helmet but leave the GPS in place in most situations.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts