BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Those are great. I would be better at checking my tire pressure with those. Where did ya get em?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Great job....Have you tried them on the front wheel? I was wondering if they clear the rotors on the front properly?

Thanks,

Ron

·
IBR# 366
16,534 Posts
Now that's funny. I went to look up the company that makes these valve stems, and they're 2.2 miles from my house. Who knew? :)

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Honda !

I bought two from the local Honda shop for about 4-5$ each and will get them installed as soon as it's time for new tires. They seem to be rugged enough and are quite small.

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
tmgs said:
I finally got around to installing the angle vale stem I bought, here's some pics
Hey, Tom - question for ya. Did any of the paperwork with the angled valve stem say anythang about only using 'em to fill the tire?? That they aren't for road use??

Reason I ax is; 4 or 5 years ago, I wuz looking for some of those and found two sets by 2 manufacturers, both of which said 'only use for airing up the tires'. I thought that wuz weird, cuz I know several Wing/Valkyrie riders that have 'em on their scoots and they didn't understand why the disclaimer. Then after we got to looking at their units, we noticed that the horizontal portion of the stem wuz in line with the rim; not pointing to the side. AND, that portion of the stem wuz supported by a yoke affair (like a wee leetle slingshot). All we could figger out wuz, that it wuz designed to overcome the centrifugal force generated by the wheel rotation at speed and the yoke took the strain off of the horizontal portion of the stem. Have no idea if we were right or wrong, butt those guyz are still using those stems.

Just wonderin' if maybe there have been upgrades that have eliminated that disclaimer? Thanks, Tom - enjoy checking tire pressures now!! ;)

·
Registered
412 Posts
I haven't used the stems......I decided against it after reading about incidents where the stems would eventually break the valve stem base because of the centrifugal force over time. I could understand why someone would use a support with them. That's the only way to make them safe that I can see. I'm surprised to see so many LT owners using them. I'd be interested to see a long term results survey on failure rates....????

·
Registered
63 Posts
Angled valve stems

My Valkyrie came with the angled valve stems as a stock item. Never had a problem with them. Never even heard of anyone having a problem with them either.

·
Registered
684 Posts
tmgs said:
I finally got around to installing the angle vale stem I bought, here's some pics
Tom,
Did you have to cut some of the ridge in the rear rim away to get them to fit. It doesnt look like you did. I have been looking for some (straight ones) that would fit without cutting the rim.
Thanks,

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
WPNorton said:
I haven't used the stems......I decided against it after reading about incidents where the stems would eventually break the valve stem base because of the centrifugal force over time. I could understand why someone would use a support with them. That's the only way to make them safe that I can see. I'm surprised to see so many LT owners using them. I'd be interested to see a long term results survey on failure rates....????
I tend to agree. I use an angled pressure gauge instead.

The brass angled stems that BMW makes specifically say that they are not to be left on, they are only an aid for filling the tires. The design is different though, since they are a true 90 degree bend, much longer and don't have any support at the base - they simply screw on to the existing stems.

I think the one's Tom came up with are safe and the bonus is they are all metal...and made in the USA, NOT the People's Republic... ;)

I'm putting some on at my next tire change, the known failures of the BMW OEM rubber stems are spooky.

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
McAllister said:
I know this thread is about the valve stem but what's with all the wheel weights? I've never needed that much to balance a wheel/tire.
Are those really wheel weights? :confused: Expecially at that location!! :eek: Maybe Tom has a SmarTire system installed - although even that seems unlikely to need that much off-setting weight. Or maybe it's for one of those bicycle-type speedo thangies? :confused:

Anyway, you guyz in the bidness may see these types of wheel weights normally, butt Toad never has; we've alwayz had the flat bar-stock type of weights that resemble pewter or lead.

--- I notice that the opposing ?weights? don't have the same profile, fwiw. Also, I looked at MCenterprisesusa. com's website and couldn't find the angled valve stems listed - thought they might have the disclaimer covered there, butt not. However, with Tom's wrenching experience, I'm assuming everythang is a-ok with this item.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My Valkyrie had angled valve stems as well. It also had plastic
valve stem "hold"(Honda's word) retainer clips.

I replaced them at 12,000 miles with new tires. The plastic clips had shown
wear from the stem throwing out against them.

I have heard of people having failures with the clips missing. (Gold Wing Magazine)

You had to support the stem or you could break the clip especially getting
brittle over time.

Don't mean to be an alarmist just be aware. Here's a link showing
Hondas part.

http://www.hondaonlineparts.com/showView.asp?pid=1987&prd=Valkyrie|GL1500CT-Valkyrie%20Tourer|1998

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sanjaun2 said:
Those are great. I would be better at checking my tire pressure with those. Where did ya get em?
I picked them up at my local indy V-twin shop my friend owns, the website is on the package in the pics though

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kellenbenz said:
Great job....Have you tried them on the front wheel? I was wondering if they clear the rotors on the front properly?

Thanks,

Ron

no I havn;t done the front yet as I don;t need a front tire right now, but it looks like it will clear I'll know in a month or so <g>

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
meese said:
Now that's funny. I went to look up the company that makes these valve stems, and they're 2.2 miles from my house. Who knew? :)
HAHAHAHAHa, havn't put it on the front yet, I don't need a front tire for about a month

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dick said:
Hey, Tom - question for ya. Did any of the paperwork with the angled valve stem say anythang about only using 'em to fill the tire?? That they aren't for road use??
No, and I sure hope not as they bolt to the wheel from inside the rim, these are not add on angled valve stems, they are actually the complete valve stem the nut just happens to be inside the tire, i cut off the extra red lock tighted the nut and pin punched the edges to be sure they don't loosen

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts