BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got lucky last night and had my rear tire go flat right as I was pulling into the garage, seems I had worn down through the cords.

Now I've got new 880's coming and figured I would have the OEM valve stems replaced with angled stems I have two questions:

Anyone know where to find or can recommend good angled stems to replace the oem ones, I remember seeing brass ones awhile back but can't seem to find them now.

And are the Stems 8mm or 10mm?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Lucky is right. Hopefully you will start checking tire condition and pressure before every ride from now on.

I may be mistaken, but the general recommendation around here was to use straight stems and not angled. Someone else please chime in and correct me if I am incorrect and refresh me on why/why not.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Centrifugal force created when the tire is spinning puts a tremendous amount of stress on an angled valve stem. At one time, Gold Wing wheels were engineered with a special bracket to accommodate and support an angled stem. Not sure if they still have that, but it certainly proves you would not want an angled stem without something to support the end of the stem.

I would not recommend using them on an LT.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
deputy5211 said:
Lucky is right. Hopefully you will start checking tire condition and pressure before every ride from now on.

I may be mistaken, but the general recommendation around here was to use straight stems and not angled. Someone else please chime in and correct me if I am incorrect and refresh me on why/why not.
Ya I knew the rear was getting a little iffy was really hoping to make it to the end of the season, I wasn't sure about the stems its either that or spend the money on a TPMS.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I have used metal angled stems for many years with no issues.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sheldan2 said:
I have used metal angled stems for many years with no issues.

Sheldan you don't happen to remember where you found them or what the specs are?

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
There are some real short stubby ones that are angled and work fine. I too had them for 5-8 years or so. A Google search will pull up many and there were at one time several different ones pictured and discussed on this forum.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DanDiver said:
There are some real short stubby ones that are angled and work fine. I too had them for 5-8 years or so. A Google search will pull up many and there were at one time several different ones pictured and discussed on this forum.

I found those Dan and there is three sizes for them 8mm 10mm and 11.5mm as well as smooth or ribbed . The problem isn't finding them the problem is finding which one fit's.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,903 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,903 Posts
One of those I posted lists a size it fits in inches but these both worked fine. .339-.327" which looks like 8mm to me.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gerhard said:
I don't know if there is any reason to worry about the different types of valve stems available if you ride you tires down to the cords. Motorcycle tires are costly but the alternative can cost your life.

Gerhard

Living life on the edge gerhard, but for some strange reason I'd like to change out the rubber stems with something a bit easier to get air into. Insane I know but that's just me :dance:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I bought a right angle adapter that I carry in the "glovebox". Screw it on to the straight stem, air it up, take off the adapter.

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
Kra961 said:
I found those Dan and there is three sizes for them 8mm 10mm and 11.5mm as well as smooth or ribbed . The problem isn't finding them the problem is finding which one fit's.
It was quite a while ago that I replaced the valve stems on my K1200LT and I don't remember there being a hole size concern. I went with the shortest ones I could find in order to keep it as close to the wheel as possible. A short straight metal valve is a lot easier to fill then the longer rubber ones that come with the bike. Adding an angle also made it easier. If you go with the shortest ones that you can find, I'm sure you will like the result.

The K1600 wheel has the valve stem built into side of the wheel.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
The 85 degree stems I keep in stock I get from Meyers Tire supply. Part # 24131 hole size .453. I sell them for $4.89 ea. when I install a tire.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
saddleman said:
The 85 degree stems I keep in stock I get from Meyers Tire supply. Part # 24131 hole size .453. I sell them for $4.89 ea. when I install a tire.

Thank you Dave

Email inbound

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
You mentioned TPMS, if you are thinking the kind that screws on the valve stems, straight stems would be best. Having the extra mass of the sensors on an angled stem would put even more pressure on the stems.

Jim H.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I made it on a rear wheel. See Pic's.
Is a lot of work because the OD size of the stem is larger then the size of the hole in the rim. Not the hole through the rim, just the diameter where the valve sit on the rim and you have to grind this to the OD of the stem. Is a very precise job you have to do there.
There is no valve on the market here in Germany with the right fit to the rim. I used the 11,5 mm Aluminum Valve.
Is more ease to use a flex hose on the fill line.

Opened to the size of the stem Diameter.

After fiting

Inside, there is a rubber seal between this nut and the stem.

Manfred

1 - 20 of 22 Posts