BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given it's a 100 mile round trip to the dealers, assuming the work is done while I wait. If I have to have a loaner bike and ride home it's a 200 mile day out :)

So this constant recall stuff is a bit tedious really ... got a letter regarding the rear torque arm having poss "locking" issues.

I REALLY hope they find all the probs before the warranty runs out :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that, you're right it looks a real mess. Glad I've had mine done now :)

It was a lovely (!) -7C (19.4F) when I left the house to ride the 60 miles to the dealers, the heated seat n grips sure paid for themselves!

The job was done quite quickly at the dealers, just sat and warmed with a couple of mugs of good hot chocolate :)

In fact it took me longer to wash off the salt once I got home :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I too have just had the recall installed on my bike. Weather about the same as you - snow on the way to the dealership followed by icy patches on the way home. Intesting!

I also had the 18K service done at the same time with valves checked and found to be well within spec. Only shock was the bill £278! Still - mustn't grumble.

According to my dealer (North Oxford Garages) this is only a recall in the UK and was initiated by the MD of NOG by placing pressure on BMW in Bracknell after his dealership had two customer failures within a very short space of time and both could have been VERY serious as the whole rear suspension collapsed on the riders. Luckily they were both riding in a straight line when it occurred and not aggressively attacking a bend!

I wonder what the rest of the "world" is doing about this?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Anyone know if this is a RECALL in the US?

My dealer always rolls his eyes when I know something I read on BMW forums....like "damn they know more than me or why do they believe the internet"

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
kbmwgt said:
Anyone know if this is a RECALL in the US?

My dealer always rolls his eyes when I know something I read on BMW forums....like "damn they know more than me or why do they believe the internet"
No. Only the U.K.

According to BMW North America (BMWNA), as long as you keep your bike out of the U.K., the failure won't happen. :histerica

(Okay, okay, I just made that up...)

·
IBR# 366
16,532 Posts
BMKrider said:
I wonder what the rest of the "world" is doing about this?
Don't ask, don't tell. ;)

I wonder what the root cause is? If it's a problem with the overall strength of the link, I expect we'd be seeing more failures. If it has something to do with winter salt corroding the bearings and stressing the link, then maybe it's worse for guys who ride year-round. Either way, we should be seeing cases occur in other countries.

I think I'll pop out to the garage and look under the bike . . .

·
Registered
160 Posts
Since its only happening in the UK maybe its because they ride on the wrong side of the road and that part wasn't designed (to precision by German right side of the road driving) take such non-sense riding. :histerica :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts