BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...thus far, in an ownership experience measured in hours, I've gotta go with the fuel-door latch. $26! for 30 cents worth of plastic!

Thankfully, when I got home and went to take out the old one, I realized that it wasn't broken...just stuck. A few spritzes of WD-40 and voila! Looks like I'm getting a refund on my $26 of plastic tomorrow :dance:

What's your vote for the most over-priced piece on the LT?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Not the most over-price but certainly the most costly would be the pillion rider!! :rotf:

Dave

·
Registered
510 Posts
Power center stand. Dealer cost $995 dollars. Had 05 about two 1/2 years and was on my third centerstand. All failures covered by warranty but let get real. I have hydraulic jacks, less then $100 a piece, that are at least 30 years old and they still work fine. Even if they are manual jacks. And for almost a thousand dollars per powerstand I experienced an average lifespan of about 10 months. The supplier of this part must be on a beach somewhere living the good life, hoping no one at BMW wakes up.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm.
azpilot06 said:
...thus far, in an ownership experience measured in hours, I've gotta go with the fuel-door latch. $26! for 30 cents worth of plastic!

Thankfully, when I got home and went to take out the old one, I realized that it wasn't broken...just stuck. A few spritzes of WD-40 and voila! Looks like I'm getting a refund on my $26 of plastic tomorrow :dance:

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
It's got to be the dealer-performed service if one is inclined to succumb to it instead of learning how to do it yourself!

Terry

·
Registered
171 Posts
azpilot06 said:

Over priced or not, if you still have it I will buy it! Mine is broke and parts missing.

If you want to sell it let me know, or could you post where you got it from?

Thanks
SCC

·
Registered
794 Posts
Brake/clutch mirco switch. 28.00

I build arcade games and get micro switches for .15
Never seen one broken like the LT had.

·
Registered
832 Posts
What about the cup holder? $130.00 or so..........

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Spark Plugs, @ $11.00 each

·
Registered
415 Posts
do you be any chance have a schematic diagram of how all the fuel latch pieces fit together that you could post. Mine came apart last month and I have 4 pieces including a little spring but no idea of how to assemble.

I was considering converting to magnets to keep latched.

thx

Ron

·
Registered
171 Posts
That is what happened to mine, Pain isn't it?

I have velcro holding it down now, it works but I want to fix it the right way if I can.

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thanks Adam, hard to tell how they all go together though.

Ron

·
Registered
178 Posts
Repair kit for rear brake is 85€. About $120. Not bad for 4 pistons and 8 seals...
I like their bikes, but I just HATE everything else about BMW !

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
The trunk lide tether knurled bolt. $4.50 for a small plastic screw! Not the most costly item, but has to come close to being he most overpriced and worst value!

·
Registered
461 Posts
The dollar is really sucking wind ,I thought $15 two years ago for a fuel door latch was a sick joke , my friends latch started acting up today ! will tell him to oil it and be gentle . now at $26 for a .25 latch

Bob G
99LT

·
Super Moderator
1,410 Posts
$1.87 for an allen socket cap screw :wow: for windshield!!!

$1.12 for each torx socket cap screws :eek: on most all tupperware!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The fuel-door latch is now in-stock at Victory BMW in Chandler, AZ. I know this because I returned it and got my $28.01 (with tax) back.

As far as configuration, there's little plastic piece to the outside that gets pushed down by the door stud, and the spring should go under that (I'm inferring). The plastic piece with the hook on it goes on the inboard part of the latch, so the hook part opposes the hooked part on the door stud.

In my case, it was just the little part that gets pushed down, that was stuck in the downward position. When I popped the assembly out to change it, it sprang back up, and I'd remembered reading another thread on someone who had to lube theirs.

My wife was just about the rip open the package for the new one, but I stopped her in time :D

·
Registered
706 Posts
The front turn signal screws: $4.87,(each)!

GB

1 - 20 of 54 Posts