BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having my bike apart for two weeks (had the ohlins rebuilt, replaced the throttle cables, installed Speigler brake lines, and lots of other things), I got everything back together with no screws or parts left over. Now I smell gas vapors when I first start out from a stop. I think that I forgot to re-install the hose on top of the fuel tank that goes into the safety relief valve. It looks like I will be pulling off the panels this Saturday to verify. I just wonder why I did not see a loose hose, or where the hose can be hiding? I am hoping that I can just pull off the right side and see under the stingray(?). I do not have the quick disconnects, so I know the vapors are not coming from that area. When I shut the bike off, I can smell the vapors by the gas lid.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Check your quick connects. Mine deteriorated over time and I had to replace them. My 05 came with plastic disconnects and BMW at some point went to metal ones. I was in the middle of a ride when this happened and by the time I got home, on the right side, my boots and pants were soaked in gasoline. Not good.

Ultra LT

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
You might luck out and have it right there under the stingray. Stranger things have happened. Good luck........... :)

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Have you tried pulling the rubber splash gaurd from around the filler to see if the hose is visible. I forgot one once and was able to use long needle nose pliers and some patience to get the hose back on.

Roy

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bigbear said:
Have you tried pulling the rubber splash gaurd from around the filler to see if the hose is visible. I forgot one once and was able to use long needle nose pliers and some patience to get the hose back on. Roy
Thanks for the suggestion Roy. I will be sure to check that first before pulling the panel(s) off. I have had the panels off plenty of times and just dread doing it again. I think it has to do more with popping the mirrors off and on.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Confirmed that the hose was off. It took me approximately 40 minutes to take the side panel off, put the hose back on, and button it back up. For half the time that I was working on this, I got to listen to the entire 19 minute Alice's restaurant song by Arlo Guthrie.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts