BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did I demo one with some one pulling the tail of a cat every time I pushed the horn button?

After riding a K1200LT for 7 years, that had a really loud one, the horn on the K1600GTL is the pits. I can shout louder and will either use the button for something else or have to wait for the real brains of this forum to come up with a replacement and How to Do it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not having any experience (yet) with the BMW - GTL, is this not something that can "simply" be replaced i.e. remove the current horn and pop in the "newer" one. PLUG and PLAY???
Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!!!
That said, maybe I'm lucky that my GTL won't arrive until June / July so I can have the dealer do the install prior to pick up????

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
While I have installed a Stebel horn on my last two bike (the GT and C14), I'm still of the opinion that the higher-pitched horns are probably louder than people give them credit for. Most Amarikan males want every horn to sound like it came off of a '42 Buick. :confused:

But Dave's right ... installing a Stebel is the solution.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lowflyer2000 said:
Not having any experience (yet) with the BMW - GTL, is this not something that can "simply" be replaced i.e. remove the current horn and pop in the "newer" one. PLUG and PLAY???
Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!!!
That said, maybe I'm lucky that my GTL won't arrive until June / July so I can have the dealer do the install prior to pick up????
I think you have to be extra careful when you change out the horn. Seems like I remember something about the voltages matching up and blowing fuses etc... and the K1600GTL uses a cannabis power supply (not sure if I stated it correctly!) that is different from the K1200LT.

I'm definitely going to wait for those who know more about it before I make a change. Most likely BMW put in the lightest horn available to save on weight.

But really, when you hear that horn, you are going to laugh. Weakest possible sound.

I like Dave's air horn!!!! Hard to beat for $30.00, if it will work. Maybe a little too much though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The Stebel draws too much current for direct replacement. It requires a relay wired directly to bike power through a separate fuse. There are good how-to's on K-bikes.com and K1600forum.com. Almost the first K1600 delivered in the world (a grey GT in the UK) had this mod done before it left the dealer.

I had always planned to do this to my K1200GT but just never got to it. In all my years of riding bikes I can't remember using the horn many times. My survival instincts usually kick in with counter-steering and/or braking before I even remember where the button is. Not claiming that's a good thing.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cbdane said:
The Stebel draws too much current for direct replacement. It requires a relay wired directly to bike power through a separate fuse. There are good how-to's on K-bikes.com and K1600forum.com. Almost the first K1600 delivered in the world (a grey GT in the UK) had this mod done before it left the dealer.

I had always planned to do this to my K1200GT but just never got to it. In all my years of riding bikes I can't remember using the horn many times. My survival instincts usually kick in with counter-steering and/or braking before I even remember where the button is. Not claiming that's a good thing.
You are correct, as far as I'm concerned, about using the horn vs. acting before/reacting and making the horn unnecessary, but there are a few occasions where it is good to have as an alert. I do find that if I am using the horn, because I'm mad at someones behavior, it generally is something that I can avoid, which is the better action.

Horn is generally an afterthought, after I have maneuvered to safety.

and Dave, I'll blame my inner instinct and spell check! Cannabis powered machines would have everyone sucking on our exhaust... and you'd know them by their burnt lips.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
I use my horn to toot at blondes, redheads & brunettes! :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
PMitchell said:
I use my horn to toot at blondes, redheads & brunettes! :D

I hope gender matters.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Has anyone thought of fitting some LT horns to the new 6 cylinder?

BMW lists them for about $70 each.

If I were shelling out twenty-large, I would ask for the LT horns to be installed.

·
Registered
588 Posts
DanDiver said:
Did I demo one with some one pulling the tail of a cat every time I pushed the horn button?

After riding a K1200LT for 7 years, that had a really loud one, the horn on the K1600GTL is the pits. I can shout louder and will either use the button for something else or have to wait for the real brains of this forum to come up with a replacement and How to Do it.
I test road a 1600GT at Gina's BMW yesterday. The BMW demo truck was there. The stock horn on the 1600GT does suck but it is no worse than the stock horn on my '06 RT or '09 GSA. Meep Meep.

I haven't had good stock horns on a BMW since my '05 LT and '05 RT. Good news is that it is cheap and easy to add dual hi low fiamms. A relay will probably be needed but no big deal to add one.

I have a good writeup on here for added dual Fiamms to a GSA. The RT is prewired for dual horns so no relay is needed but I suspect the GT and GTL won't be wired for two.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Still my favorite cartoon... :D

Chuck Jones, the creator of the Road Runner, has stated that this sound, the only way the Road Runner can harm the Coyote, was inspired by hearing a Doppler-like effect as background artist Paul Julian carrying set backgrounds beep-beeped when he could not see where he was going. Although commonly quoted as "meep meep", Warner Brothers, the current owner of all trademarks relating to the duo, lists "beep, beep" as the Road Runner's sound.

·
Registered
193 Posts
wardenross said:

If I were shelling out twenty-large, I would ask for the LT horns to be installed.
I've never heard an LT horn, but I've read a lot of comments like yours that talk about how it really commands attention. I was wondering if you could just buy the LT horn and replace the stock GTL horn with it? I'm going to check it out with my dealer to see what he says. Does the LT have a single horn or dual horns?

·
Registered
19 Posts
My '06 RT has horns like a freight train. But other late model RT's sound like a moped.
They obviously change horn vendors as often as they do tire manufactures.
So don't be surprised if the 1600's horns differ too.

But, if the OEM horns on my 1600 suck, I'll be switching them out with my RT's.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wardenross said:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I don't think that any dealer will be cutting deals for quite a while on the K1600's as the demand has way out-stripped the supply, today!

The only thing a buyer has to work with is the fact that if an ordered bike is refused, the dealer must send it back, it cannot be re-sold to someone else, at least that is what they are saying... but blowing the horn is a waste of time.... Not as effective as when I would miss the horn on my K1200LT and hit the left turn indicator. THAT really got their attention..

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Raaze12 said:
I've never heard an LT horn, but I've read a lot of comments like yours that talk about how it really commands attention. I was wondering if you could just buy the LT horn and replace the stock GTL horn with it? I'm going to check it out with my dealer to see what he says. Does the LT have a single horn or dual horns?

The LT uses two horns that are made by Bosch (I believe). A 420 and a 520 Hz tone. Based on the info that I can find.

A low and and a high tone. They have a very loud and commanding sound. Really fits a BMW class bike.

I wasn't suggesting that the dealer throw a horn install for free. I'm just saying that if I were spending twenty-large, I would order a set of BMW LT horns and perhaps have the dealer install them on the GTL. That or install them me self!

This MAY be the same as one of the LT horns....

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/d...33-1799831.html

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
onmyrt said:
They obviously change horn vendors as often as they do tire manufactures.
Nope, not a vendor change, a cost elimination move -- they eliminated one of the dual horns. At least before the camhead models in 2010, for $35, you could purchase the second horn and install it on the RT (they even left the original plug in the harness) and regain the truck horns -- 1st mod to my '09 RT.

onmyrt said:
But, if the OEM horns on my 1600 suck, I'll be switching them out with my RT's.
It does, you will -- as will I!

·
IBR# 366
16,549 Posts
The Slant/4 bikes just have one horn, not two like the LT. I imagine the Slant/6 bikes are the same. Most of us take care of that pretty quickly.

wardenross said:
Almost forgot to check ebay…
For that price, you're better off going with the Stebel air horn. MUCH more sound . . .

·
IBR# 366
16,549 Posts
STEBS said:
I hope gender matters.
To some, yes. To others, not so much. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts