BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Mr. LT Rider who was rudely flashing his lights and upsetting cagers.

I hope you didn't piss off the wrong person and you made it home ok. Your riding technique this morning is going to eventually kill you. Not only were you unnecessarily trying to force traffic over, you were pissing off a lot of people flashing your high beams like that. I could understand if we had a "No undertaking" law, or if you were seriously violating the speed limit. (the 65 I was traveling should have been plenty, considering the area) The only reason I got over was the fact that you were riding extremely too close to my rear bumper, and being in my high clearance vehicle, if I straddled a board, box, or carcass, you'd be in deep poo, as you had no room to maneuver.

The really slick part was how when you got traffic to move out of your way, you simply slid in front of them and slowed down. Nice. Great way to bridge the gap and make motorists respect you. I personally was deciding if I should flick you off or not, but since your nose was so high in the air, I’m sure you wouldn’t have seen it.

I proudly display a BMW MOA sticker and tag frame on my vehicle, so it's pretty damn clear that not only am I a rider, I also ride a BMW, and am not so impressed by your "fine piece of machinery" that I must submit to you. This attitude of yours needs to cease, as it gives motorcyclists a bad reputation in the eyes of John Q. Public and Johnny Law. What you were doing, if witnessed by a Law Enforcement officer would have gained you a citation for illegal lane usage. And since you seemed to be such a nice guy, I’m sure the officer would have been nice with his 2-6 point leeway with that violation.

I'll admit, I am an extremely aggressive street rider. I speed, but I am also in the state of mind that I need to respect my surroundings. I try to be courteous and not scare or upset people in vehicles that weigh 4x what my GVWR is. I also know that vehicles can cause a lot of trouble for you quickly, and I simply hope you will improve your behavior, I'm a rider, I understand, and you had me upset too. I can imagine what the 65 or so year old lady you overtook then slowed up on was really impressed with your riding skills.

Also those Jpegs look like they belong in a gynecologist office. If you're not going to use them, fold them in.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
not a chance...he/she isn't the type to be on THIS forum

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Thing to remember...

99% of us are riders... AND cagers! The remaining 1% includes Brett!;)

I hate it too when a rider acts like a jerk who owns the whole darn road!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Gosh, and my wife told me she was sick that day. Wondering why the bike was all dirty! ;)

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Let's turn it up..

OK,,, I AM NOT DEFENDING THIS RIDER............

Having said that.. The left lane is for passing not for camping...

One of my pet peeves is some fat head who drives the same speed in the left lane as the cars in the right...And has a half mile of clearance in front of him...

Use the left lane to pass ... Then get over till it's time to pass again...

So if you are one of those jerks who thinks it's your right to drive in whatever lane at whatever speed you choose, Then you deserve to see some brights in your mirror....

If you have a half mile of clearance in front of you and cars on your bumper...
You're driving too slow in the wrong lane.....Just get over and get over yourself....

How's that....

John

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
jpspen said:

One of my pet peeves is some fat head who drives the same speed in the left lane as the cars in the right...And has a half mile of clearance in front of him...

So if you are one of those jerks who thinks it's your right to drive in whatever lane at whatever speed you choose, Then you deserve to see some brights in your mirror....

You're driving too slow in the wrong lane.....Just get over and get over yourself....

How's that....

John

:) :) :) In the UK, it costs about £1m to turn 200 yards of 2 lane motorway(freeway) to 3 lane freeway - it gets my goat(if I had one) that people in old, shagged cages turn it back to 2 lane, by just sittingin the middle lane for a cost of £400 quid.

thats one of the reasons that I keep off motorways.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
jpspen said:

How's that....

John
Hear, Hear!! I am in complete agreement on the idiots who insist on lollygagging along in the left lane. Pass and get over, unless there is absolutely no one behind you.

Nuff said!

John

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
AlaskaFish said:
Hear, Hear!! I am in complete agreement on the idiots who insist on lollygagging along in the left lane. Pass and get over, unless there is absolutely no one behind you.

Nuff said!

John
No ego to it in my book. Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way. Simple?

What really burns my butt is when there is beeeeeeg signs saying, "Left lane for passing only" and you get some knucklehead who thinks it doesn't apply to him. Sheesh.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
grifscoots said:

What really burns my butt is when there is beeeeeeg signs saying, "Left lane for passing only" and you get some knucklehead who thinks it doesn't apply to him. Sheesh.

Better watch them seeegars if they burn ya butt!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
64 Posts
grifscoots said:

I think your taking for granted that people can read.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I really see 2 issues here: The first being cars occupying the left lane; the other being motorcycle driving style and attitude.

Occupying the left lane sometimes is not a choice. Bumper to bumper traffic at 65mph, all lanes full leaves no place for cars to pull over into the middle or right lanes. So I can understand in heavy traffic that cagers will occupy the left lane regardless of the traveling speed. If the traffic is light just leave me some room to get around and I'll be happy; shouldn't admit this, but even pass on the shoulder (left of right) after about 15 miles of folks traveling side-by-side and no other vehicles around. Not upset, no road rage, just getting by.

As far as motorcycle driving style goes; I like to ride fast and spirited 2 lane, 4 lane 6 lane, it really dosen't matter. However, attitude has a lot to do with treating others with respect regardless of how they treat me. Don't have to flip 'em off; don't have to flash my lights; don't have to ride their bumper; just find an opening, downshift and hit the hole like a running back cutting for the goal line!

Ride safe; be cool.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
You must have missed this:
"The really slick part was how when you got traffic to move out of your way, you simply slid in front of them and slowed down. "

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
ksailor said:
just find an opening, downshift and hit the hole like a running back cutting for the goal line!
and that's why we ride motorcycles!!!:D

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
ksailor said:
Occupying the left lane sometimes is not a choice. Bumper to bumper traffic at 65mph, all lanes full leaves no place for cars to pull over into the middle or right lanes. So I can understand in heavy traffic that cagers will occupy the left lane regardless of the traveling speed.
And now you're talking about a whole other problem.:) The "gappers" who will be content to leave many car lengths between them and the car they are following. It really upsets people behind them and causes all the other lanes to be used as a possible overtaking lanes, even when full. And around here and in the San Francisco bay area, I'm routinely in 75-80 mph bumper to bumper traffic. With a mere 1/2 second intervals between cars.:eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was in the left lane to pass "lap traffic" myself.... I guess I wasn't passing them fast enough at 10mph over the limit, nor the rest of the string of vehicles I was in.

This guy comes up behind us blinking his lights, gets all of us to hunt spaces in the slower right lane, then gets in front of the lead car and cuts to about 50 until he turns about 4 miles up the road.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
GTAdam said:
I was in the left lane to pass "lap traffic" myself.... I guess I wasn't passing them fast enough at 10mph over the limit, nor the rest of the string of vehicles I was in.

This guy comes up behind us blinking his lights, gets all of us to hunt spaces in the slower right lane, then gets in front of the lead car and cuts to about 50 until he turns about 4 miles up the road.
Yep he's a dork.

I hate to be stodgy, but I have this rule that if I'm passing traffic at a decent clip, I'm not movin over for someone zoomin up behind. I feel if I could find a hole in his shoes, he can too.

Besides, when I do move over they inevitably slow down a bit and then I'm boxed in. Then I'm upset:mad:

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
grifscoots said:
Yeah! And those big signs with the funny numbers on them like "65" and "70". Those don't apply to me either! Oh, wait . . . ;)

A good friend of mine who is the mellowest, most easy-going guy I know will sit in the left lane, right on someone's butt if they're not going fast enough for him. Even if there's room on the right, he just stays left and grumbles. He lived in the UK for a while, and is convinced the "no undertaking" rule applies, but I keep telling him there is no such rule here. The only rule that matters in SoCal traffic is "don't let anyone hit you."

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Adam,
Where did this take place?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts