BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 1978 Goldwing GL1000 w/fairing and hard bags....just paid $1200. for it.....a motorcycle mechanic friend had owned it for years and sold it to a guy near 70yo that can't ride any more who is now selling it to me. It has 62k miles and looks pretty good. I'll pick it up Friday after it gets all checked out. It has a big old honking cassette deck just under the shield but at least I can hook up my satrad or ipod easily now with the cassette adapter. I bought a new jacket and extra helmet yesterday and my motorcycle mechanic friend can order me a heated jacket liner for cost. What a guy.:)

I'll take pics later. I've already bought a ME/NH/VT motorycle tour map. I plan on staying a little close to central Maine for awhile untill I get comfortable with it. I see many bikes out now as the roads are clear and the sun has melted most of the snow. It's been in the forties many days lately. Although we can still get much more snow, the main roads get dry pretty quickly as the sun stays out longer.

I'm still working on getting a business started here. A cabin and a garage/workspace with rental unit above. Planning on renting atv's, sleds and maybe motorcycles later. I've talked to a rep at the Harley dealer and he may be looking for a satellite location for rentals where all paperwork is done on the internet and I would just hand out keys and check in bikes when they are returned. My mechanic friend of the family wants to set up a satellite shop himself and take care of all my rental servicing. He's an expert atv, sled and motorcycle mechanic. I originally thought of just having rentals for guests only but he thinks we can rent to anyone that CAN rent and could have 40-60 different things in our fleet sooner than I would want. Insurance and liability is a big concern but I've found out a lot talking to the Harley rep.

I already know lot's of atv'ing trails around here. But as I put 1400 miles on my sled in about 6 weeks, I've learned that the available trails are about 10 times that of atv'ing. Now with the bike, I can now think about touring the state and coming up with a route to go to a couple Canadian provinces, NH, VT and perhaps MA, CT and RI too, all in a couple days route.

I had always thought of making cabins that are motorcycle friendly but not until I came here for a winter did I realize that snowmobiling is really huge here in central ME. Along with atving there is fall colors, hunting season and the holidays. There just isn't enough cabin rentals around the Dover/Dexter area. Everyone thinks the business plan is sound.

Anyways, I'M BACK BABY.:D I'm still looking for another bike too but not as old.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
We need pics;)

:worthless

Congrats Rog, I new you couldn't stay off two wheels.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Awesome! Congrats on the bike, and welcome back to the dark side!

·
Some guy on the Interwebs
3,324 Posts
Welcome back Roger, well done!!! :D

Now you have no excuse for attending an HDDC dinner... :D :D

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Roger............
That's really a good score.............so, what was the question again.........?

:worthless :cool:

Just put your pututy in the saddle and ride it like ya' stole it.................. :cool:

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, keep in mind it's not cleaned up yet. After looking it over, I couldn't find any places that looked damaged due to dropping it. The seat looks recently done and is in excellent shape. Tires are good too. Guess it's been cared for and ridden. We'll see. Don't care. I can still use it as decor on my lawn.:) Better than a pink flamingo.:p

Look at all the lights.Guess he liked to be seen and not heard. I might have to do something about this airport look.

Some '78 crome too. I can't wait to clean it up. A 31 year old Vintage Wing. Whooda thought.:)

I'm happy with the cassette and radio w/ 2 speakers.

And there she is, in all it's dusty garaged beauty.

I will probably take off the hard bags, trunk and fairing at some point as I like the naked look too. I've been reading much the last couple days on the Honda forums about the early GL1000's. Lot's about this bike. And old reviews too.

I'll take more pictures this weekend. I have a luncheon planned near Calais on Saturday.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeah. I noticed several Goldwing rides this spring and summer around New England. Will they let me in with this bike? Do I need a stuffed animal? Am I too old for this group?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Great deal Roger! And some of us can remember those famous Vetter bags and fairing. Had them on my Yamaha XS-1100 way back when. Welcome back to the land of two wheels!

John

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chuck Presnail said:
Nice Bike Roger

Now that Doug will have someone to ride with out there I would expect him .

Chuck
Exactly what I was thinking.:thumb: I have specific routes in mind for the likes of Doug. He'd better get his iron derriere out here by at least the start of the next decade.:)

AF...Vetter bags? Cool. I'm very retro you know.:D And it's been 21 months since my last motorcycle departure. I'm thinking it might be fun again. As long as I, you know, PAY ATTENTION.:p It's about damn time I rode again, if I say so myself.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
tlash said:
I think it's stuffed animal OR satin jacket. You might want to check.
Satin jacket.:bike::histerica

Speaking of satin jacket, I stoped in the Yamaha dealer where all their new motorcycle gear was out. Then I went to the clearance rack and found one 2xl Power-Trip transition jacket which was half off the original $314.95. They went to First Gear I think and gave up on this line. It is part leather with armor and lined with zip off waterproofing and mesh underneath. A 3 in 1 jacket for $157. thankyouverymuch.

I already brought some gear with me on my November trip. Two pair of cycle boots, helmet and gloves. I have a wardrobe box filled with jackets and riding pants left at my business in Carmichael. Never can have too many jackets though. Am I right?

·
Some guy on the Interwebs
3,324 Posts
RMoore007 said:
Satin jacket.:bike::histerica
Never can have to many jackets though. Am I right?
Yep, just like having too much money or sex... :D

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
RMoore007 said:
Just what I was thinking.:p What was the point? To scare people into thinking it's a low flying ufo maybe?:histerica:
Roger - Ya can't have too much reflection! Take it from one who knows... :(

Congrats on the new ride. You're never too old.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ltcommuter said:
Roger - Ya can't have too much reflection! Take it from one who knows... :(

Congrats on the new ride. You're never too old.

Cheers!
Point taken.:thumb: I know. Maybe they'll work just fine.

And just like Doug, I don't see any New England in red yet in your map below.:D

·
Registered
217 Posts
RMoore007 said:
I will probably take off the hard bags, trunk and fairing at some point as I like the naked look too. I've been reading much the last couple days on the Honda forums about the early GL1000's. Lot's about this bike. And old reviews too.
When the fairing goes on, the original headlight bucket needs to come off. Its not the same bucket as is used on the fairing. Also, sometimes the headlight mounting ears get taken off, as well as the turn signals. These pieces are not needed, and get in the way of the fairing.

Was it in running condition? I have one that I don't ride any more, and would like to clean out space in the garage. Have a couple of extra fairings, additional hard bags and a few of the battery and tank panels. Any suggestion on where I might sell it?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've finally had the GL1000 out the last couple of days. It's been fun getting back on two wheels. I've taken the three Vetter storage boxes off and soon the front fairing. Plus I have to take off the framing for the rear boxes also. Just too old and rickety and outdated for my tastes. I really like the look of the naked Goldwing. I just ordered a new windscreen and my friend has a new headlight that will work. Here's a couple pics.:)

The seat is very comfortable. I don't know who made it. Here's a picture of the rear with a patch.

It rides quite ok for an old bike. The seating position is perfect for me. I rarely get it out of third around here. Maybe fourth gear once or twice over 55mph. I'm in first and second most of the time. The roads around here right now are a work of art. Sometimes like riding off road, on the road.:p So staying on the main roads is the best for now.

I should be able to keep up with the cruiser's out here. I ccould NEVER keep up with the LT crowd.:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts