BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
IBR# 366
16,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just noticing that this K1600GT/GTL forum here on BMWLT.com is quite busy, with new threads every day and new posts almost every hour. The general consensus here seems to be "I want one, but where is my power center stand and reverse?"

In contrast, the K1600GT/GTL forum over at K-bikes.com stays pretty quiet, with new posts only every few days and new threads sometimes separated by a few weeks. And the general consensus there seems to be "Nice bike, but way too big for me."

I just thought it interesting . . .

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I think it makes perfect sense. This forum's foundation is based on LT owners who are looking for the next LT ... aka the GTL. K-Bikes.com is more focused on sport-touring.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Thoughts ?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

John

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
JPSpen said:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

John
Not YOUR thoughts John. You're a drummer. Your thoughts are fairly simple.
  1. lift stick
  2. drop stick
  3. drum goes 'boom'
  4. go back to step 1
:p

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
meese said:
The general consensus here seems to be "I want one, but where is my power center stand and reverse?"
I just thought it interesting . . .
Good point. I got into a heated argument with a guy the other night as I stated that the reverser would really be missed (comparing the GTL to my LT).

He thought my point to be ludicrous. Of course he has never even ridden an LT much less a heavy bike with a passenger and 100 lbs. of luggage aboard.

I've probably only used the reverser in my LT two or three times, but it can be a valuable feature in the right circumstances.

I still want a GTL, so the missing reverser is not necessarily a deal breaker.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Just adding content for sake of one community members take on said subject ....
I do ride my LT 2 up in the Rural mountains off the beaten path roads having had the REVERSER save my ass more than a half dozen times and its use in general fairly often. NOT HAVING ONE on the new 1600 would very much be a deal breaker for us :(

wardenross said:
Good point. I got into a heated argument with a guy the other night as I stated that the reverser would really be missed (comparing the GTL to my LT).

He thought my point to be ludicrous. Of course he has never even ridden an LT much less a heavy bike with a passenger and 100 lbs. of luggage aboard.

I've probably only used the reverser in my LT two or three times, but it can be a valuable feature in the right circumstances.

·
Registered
205 Posts
As a non-BMW owner, I can only say "we'll see" on the reverse. I would have a hard time without a reverse on my Goldwing, but I have no need for it on my Concours. We'll just have to see how hard the 1600 is to push backwards.

As to the electric centerstand, I've never wished any of my bikes had it - even my Goldwing. I have no problem getting it up ;)

As to the forums, this forum just doesn't draw the traffic the other one does. This forum is much more North American and the other is much more International. The BMW has a stronger European base, so I'd guess that's why this site has so much less traffic and postings - along with the fact that the bikes are being sold first in Europe.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
wardenross said:

I use the reverse gear everytime I ride my LT. It's how I easily get it out of the garage. I tried to simply back it out the last time I rode and it was very difficult to navigate around my car and down the slope at the tip of the driveway.

Likewise, I use the electric centerstand everytime I ride. I will give that the centerstand is a bit of a luxury convenience (I love everyone's reaction and I don't have to think about where I park so much in regards to centered ground).

With that said, I will miss both dearly. If I knew there was a new LT around the corner (2-3 years) I would hold off on any GTL purchase. But, according to the BMW management, that is not the case. Thus, I have to move to the latest and greatest. (Gosh, I make that sound as if it's bad! LOL! That's certainly not the case - but I would love to have a true LT replacement)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ken, I think that you may be reading too much into the small number of posts on K-bikes.com. I've been a member there and followed that forum for years (K1200GT) but I migrated here and to K1600forum.com simply because I found more information on the K1600GT which I've preordered. Unfortunately, I've possibly upset the moderator at the latter forum and I'm keeping a low profile but there's a lot of great info there!

·
IBR# 366
16,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah, I think it just shows differing perceptions and expectations based on previous experiences.

The Luxury-Tourers think it's a bit too Sport-Tourer. And the Sport-Tourers think it's a bit too Luxury.

I'm thinking it might be just right . . . :D

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Travis said:
With that said, I will miss both dearly. If I knew there was a new LT around the corner (2-3 years) I would hold off on any GTL purchase. But, according to the BMW management, that is not the case. Thus, I have to move to the latest and greatest. (Gosh, I make that sound as if it's bad! LOL! That's certainly not the case - but I would love to have a true LT replacement)
They would say that wouldn´t they ?. Sell as many of the GTL´s as they can and then introduce a "new and improved" version.

·
Registered
186 Posts
meese said:
Nah, I think it just shows differing perceptions and expectations based on previous experiences.

The Luxury-Tourers think it's a bit too Sport-Tourer. And the Sport-Tourers think it's a bit too Luxury.

I'm thinking it might be just right . . . :D
I'm with Meese. The light and quick (relatively speaking) of the old model GTs were what appealed to me. I don't see what I would gain with the heavier and slower 1600. I know for sure what I'd lose, $$$$.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts