BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
King of the Castle
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is with great sadness that I have to make the announcement that CCR 2016 in Monterey has been cancelled. This decision was made by the board after much agonizing discussion, as we all have much invested in the organization. Despite herculean marketing efforts including a hangtag program in many dealerships around the country and a new CCR ambassador program we only had one new participant and very few overall attendees. We were up against a deadline to meet some metrics set by the hotel and we also just didn't feel like we could put on an event worthy of the CCR name with so few participants. It was the board consensus that this is due to a combination of factors including cost, location , and simply put, the LT doesn't exist anymore and we've maybe done a poor job trying to rebrand ourselves. All registrants will be receiving a refund check to be mailed in the first two weeks of May. With the check will be a letter from me including the information being posted here. Unfortunately, with no event it is unlikely the hotel will honor the rates if one wanted to travel to Monterey on their own.

It is important to remember this doesn't mean the end to CCR just a cancellation of this years event. The board will reconvene in June to elect new officers and have lively discussion about CCR's future. Please email me or post on the forum if you have suggestions or ideas and if you want to be involved please speak up. Its been a pleasure meeting all of you and I look forward to seeing you on the road.

Respectfully yours,

R.Bruce White M.D.
Charman Curve Cowboy Reunion

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
It feels like Christmas just go cancelled...:frown:

·
IBR# 366
16,568 Posts
Bummer.

That can't have been an easy decision. I know how hard y'all have worked on this, for so many years.

Many of us have enjoyed seeing old friends and exploring new parts of the country, but have a hard time swinging the time off of work to make this happen. Dayle and I were looking at going to CCR this year, but with the new job it's harder to plan for time away that far out. It would've had to have been a last-minute decision for us, but I know that y'all can't plan and move forward without enough firm commitments to make it worthwhile.

Let's hope that we can move forward next year, or maybe even split CCR into several smaller gatherings located around the country. I know that there are already some established weekend-away rides already happening around the country that were born out of the friendship and camaraderie of this group. Leaner just might be the way to move forward here.

Thanks so much for all y'all have done for the group, and especially for all the good you've done for local charites along the way.

I'm gonna take this as a temporary hiatus and regrouping, rather than an ending . . .

·
Registered
423 Posts
Very sad indeed. I really wanted to go to this destination and I already booked my room. Event or not, if the hotel will honor my existing reservation, I'm still going.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I am sad to hear this set back for CCR this year. I do believe it is only a set back because I have spoken to many folks that attended in the past who would not be able to go this year but do plan to go again.
I would like to express my appreciation to the board members and all the others who have made CCR possible. I know that they have dedicated a lot of time and effort to make it happen.
There is a smaller group from CCR that meets twice a year at the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge in North Carolina for Spring Training Camp and Smoky Mountain Fall Reunion. These are great "regional" gatherings but I hope we will continue to have CCR so our group from all across the country and abroad can get together once a year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Most of the initial members of CCR and those who kept it going are probably the reason why I so thoroughly enjoyed my LT and they gave me the knowledge and education to get so much out of her. They were on the bleeding edge in the beginning and a debt of thanks is definitely due. I never got to attend, but I think that anyone owning an LT benefited.

Thanks for all that you did to make my ride so much better and lead me to my GTL. Like a lot of thinks in life, change is the only constant and I'm sure that what comes next with be supported....

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Even though Sammie & I would not have gone this year we still hold out hope that CCR will not go away. My thought is to forget about the charities and all the other non motorcycle related things from the past & focus only on the place and the riding it may offer. As stated by Ken there are already smaller spin off groups of friends who originally connected at CCR that get together a few times a year in different parts of the USA.
John Z & David Taylor both have done a great jobs putting together smaller get togethers on each coast that only focus on the people & the riding around the place it is held. In fact this year there were as many new people from the K1600forum show up at Spring Training Camp as there were BMWLT members. The two groups mixed together great & all had a grand time.

For CCR to go forward it will need to change drastically. Forget about raising money, forget about the fancy hotel and just concentrate on the people and a great place to ride. When Sammie & I first started going to CCR in 2007 it was for the people & the ride but over the years like a lot of CCR attendees we got away from that and migrated to all the other things like the silent auction and who can pay the most for a piece of half eaten cake. I too was caught up it all the other things. This is one of the main reasons we stopped going to CCR. We don't need 20 seminars to go to or 15 vendors selling cook wear or greeting cards. We don't need any big expensive banquets, everyone can pay as we go. We need a place that makes us excited to go because the riding is great and the other people are like minded as we are.

If need be then close the 501C charity part of CCR.
Close the bank account.
Turn off the lights at CCR headquarters. :rolleyes:
Forget about everything else but Keep the name.
The Curve Cowboy Reunion like The Spring Training Camp & Cambria Ride 20?? are all part of the BMWLT community born & grown out of the love of the bikes we ride & the friends we've made over the last 16 plus years. (Damn!! has it been that long?)

If the location can only hold 75 people then so be it. If you wait to sign up & rooms sell out then sorry for you, try again next year.

Here are the steps that the CCR BOD should focus on.
1) Find us a great place to ride.
2) find us a place to sleep and gather to tell lies.
3) if no restaurant is at the hotel find a few places to eat.
4) put together some routes for people to use to get around.
5) invite everyone from BMWLT & K1600Forum.
6) set back and enjoy the rest of the time before you leave for the
"New Improved Curve Cowboy Reunion"

For those of you who went to or remember the very first CCR in Broken Box Ok. What made it great? What made you want to do it again the next year? This is what needs to happen to keep CCR alive.

This is only my opinion from going to 8 CCR's in a row, seeing how it had changed (not for the good to my) over the years.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well this is a bummer, as i posted before, we look forward to CCR, and trust that something good will happen for future years, thanks to all those who work hard on this event every year.

As far as this year, I was able to change our Amtrak trip to the following week, make a few motel changes, and we will still enjoy our trip to California, Napa, the Bay area, and we know we'll enjoy our time in San Antonio on our way home, no long bike trip this year, no CCR, but we are looking forward to another adventure in travel. Life is to short to fret over the little things.

Ride safe my friends, and enjoy the trip.

Larry

PS will somebody remind me how to change my map that shows up.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I feel disheartened over the news. Though I hadn't registered for this one, I certainly hadn't ruled it out. I'm still pretty new on the LT circuit and have only witnessed the CDA, Idaho CCR, but it's been a comfort knowing that the LT "herd" has been there as an annual gathering.
I had hoped that the CCR would continue to be an option in the future. Let us hope that it will continue on if possible.
Bob

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Makes me sad, that we couldn't go way out west again and CCR was canceled. Hopefully it will be reborn. In the mean time on the K1600 sister site, nothing about CCR. I think that's half the problem.

·
IBR# 366
16,568 Posts
Several of us have tried to promote CCR on the K1600 site and other Beemer sites, with little success. It just doesn't seem to sink in to those riders, and it's kinda hard to explain overall in a manner that makes it appealing to a newcomer with limited vacation time and funds.

CCR was originally a small gathering of like-minded friends when the flagship K12LT was the newest and shiniest. And I think the personalities had a lot to do with the overall draw, regardless of location.

It grew into more people, larger sites, more luxury, and a whole host of extra activities, but was always still based around great riding areas. It became the Luxury Rally, with top-notch facilities and high-end activities that matched the Luxurious LT. Still, kudos to the CCR Board for getting us into some great locations at relatively affordable prices.

These days, the LT is "obsolete." It's still righfully beloved by many owners, but it's no longer the new and shiny flagship. Current LT owners are just as passionate, but by definition they're riding "used" bikes that have been around for a while. The LT demographic has changed, with the focus more on maintenance and rideability, and the number of LT owners has dropped, as has overall participation on this board.

Some LT riders have moved to the K16, or to the water-cooled RT & GS models. Generally speaking, those riders seem to be more about the riding rather than the whole Luxury aspect.

If CCR is to continue on, it needs to focus more on the riding aspects, and less on the Luxury Vacation model as in years past. Maybe that means several smaller regional gatherings throughout the summer, or maybe it means just stepping back and letting the existing regional groups take up the mantle of camaraderie.

Even the Iron Butt Association is having similar participation pains. They still get lots of newer riders doing their first SS1000, but that can be done at the rider's timing and pace with little advanced coordination. The IBA was holding larger National Meets on off-IBR years, similar to CCR (expect with a focus on remaining profitable overall). Upscale centrally-located hotel, lots of seminars, tech sessions, and activities, interesting and informative guest speakers, and great local riding (including the chance to get instant verification on SaddleSore rides). I've been to several of those and enjoyed each one.

But the IBA has also put their National Meet on hiatus, due to rising hotel costs and declining participation, leading to declining revenue. Many riders claim the same as we're hearing: limited vacation time and funds even if the concept remains appealing. The IBA is now exploring holding several smaller Regional Meets, to keep costs and travel times down and encourage more participation, with some limited success.

But it still remains to be seen if that will be a viable way forward for them . . .

Reactions: pkpr1998

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
It might even be the "Baby Boomer Syndrome."

I've had this discussion with others and it's the same with SCUBA and skydiving. The largest segment of the population, at the time, has moved through time with notables like Mike Nelson, Ripcord and Easy Rider and with their buying power, driven industries. That demographics was/is powerful. I was born in 1951 and starting riding at 16, SCUBA diving at 14 and waited while to jump out of an airplane. At the age of 65, I have slowed down a little and my interests have changed.

The "industries" of SCUBA, skydiving and motorcycles and how they are used and approached is changing. The Millennial Generation are becoming the new largest segment of the population and they will do to business and recreation what the Boomers did.

When the LT came out, there were issues that the dealers were not addressing and a few very smart and focused individuals led the rest of us into fixing, adjusting and getting the most out of the LT. That, to a degree, led to the CCR, but many have moved on and the same problems did not plague the GTL. There was not a common enemy !

Anyway, it's off to the fish tank on my motorcycle for some SCUBA..... My life is not virtual.....

·
Registered
610 Posts
With no CCR this year, is anyone interested in making the Smoky Mountain Fall Reunion a week long event? It's probably still early enough that we can get cabins / bunkhouse / campsites at Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
With no CCR this year, is anyone interested in making the Smoky Mountain Fall Reunion a week long event? It's probably still early enough that we can get cabins / bunkhouse / campsites at Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge.

I would be in favor of that. Sammie & I are planning a week in that area already.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I would be in favor of that. Sammie & I are planning a week in that area already.
Can we make it a little earlier so riders from the north can join? Say late September? Or add a summer sizzle event with the CCR dates?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Can we make it a little earlier so riders from the north can join? Say late September? Or add a summer sizzle event with the CCR dates?
A lot of us already have reservations at Iron Horse for October this year but I think moving it to an earlier date is something we could discuss before next year.

We have high jacked this thread so we need to continue this discussion in a new thread. I will start one called SMFR 2016 under Rides, Rallies, and Get-togethers.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts

Quite a haul for us (says the left coast guy...:grin:)
What kind of accommodations?
How large of a gathering?
There is interest here.:wink:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Quite a haul for us (says the left coast guy...:grin:)
What kind of accommodations?
How large of a gathering?
There is interest here.:wink:
John Zeiler is in charge of organizing the STC and SMFR. John will you provide everyone with a explanation of what they are in the SMFR 2016 thread I started under Rides, Rallies, and Get-togethers ?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Later this spring, once all 2016 business has been completed and the dust settles, a BoD Skype meeting will be convened. The main item of business will be the election of officers for 2017. We will be looking within the current BoD for officers and committee heads. In addition, depending on the reaction we get on the LT forum, we may find individuals outside of the BoD interested in assuming CCR leadership responsibility. Immediately after they are elected, the new leadership team will be empowered to begin work on 2017 options . If there are insufficient candidates for a new team, the fate of CCR may be sealed at which time we will begin discussion about how the reserve funds will be handled.

All current members of the BoD and other interested parties should give careful consideration to their part in the organization going forward and we should consider others who might join the leadership team. Board of Director members are proposed by the chairman and are elected by the BoD for three years terms. Persons who want to be an officer must be nominated and will be elected by the BoD for a one year term of office. Anyone interested is becoming a BoD member and/or an officer should contact Bruce White, 2016 CCR Chairman. Officers include:
  • Chairman
  • Vice Chairman
  • Secretary
  • Treasurer
The chairman appoints committee heads as needed and depending on the program/structure of the next event. Examples might include some or all of the following:

1. Web coordinator
  2. Merchandise chair
  3. <acronym title="Google Page Ranking">PR</acronym> and outreach chair
  4. Seminar coordinator
  5. Entertainment chair
  6. Chair of special or optional events
  7. Tech master
  8. Dealer services
  9. Vendor chair
  10. Charity selection
  11. Fundraising efforts/silent auction
  12. Site coordinator
  13. Others. . .
Committee heads need not be members of the Board of Directors. Ideally, however, every BoD member heads up one or more committees and would be expected to report to the full BoD on a regular basis.

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
I am very sad to read this, albeit not totally surprised. As one who was dedicated to developing the unique format of the nations first and only "Luxury Touring" gathering from the beginning and who spent the better part of 13 years devoted to its success. We crossed some mighty hurdles as the organization was in its infancy. I am sorry to see our child struggling. Hopefully there will be sufficient interest in the new board to try to bring together an event for 2017.

I am certain that interest in the next reunion will increase if the Reunion can get back to the fundamentals that made it great. The reunion is about community, friendship and sharing. We were adamant from the beginning that it was not about the machine, it is all about the people. It is not abut the LT, or even BMW, it was about the uniqueness of this community where we were brought together by our passion for riding long and often. It was about the unique camaraderie we developed within this virtual community and fostering virtual friendships to becoming actual friendships in real life.

It was always about value, getting real bang for your hard earned dollars. Charity is a natural offshoot of the very giving personalities that provided the foundation for the Reunion, but it was not even in the top three elements of the mission as we saw it.

There were some really special venues over my term on the board. Believe it or not some of my favorites were some that I had chairman's responsibilities for. I just loved Gatlinburg and Grand Tetons - Rapid City and Santa Fe were very close seconds. Those locations had some of the most beautiful riding and Jackson Lake not withstanding, they offered very good value. While Jackson Lake was a little more expensive,it was home base to Yellowstone, one of the greatest national parks in this country. CCR was the first and only motorcycle "rally" to be invited to a national park. They may regret inviting us after issuing a handful of stratospheric federal speeding tickets. Joking aside, they were very pleased with the generally great courtesy, friendliness and maturity of our members.

That was the number two goal of the organization - being good ambassadors for the motorcycling community. It is amazing to recall the compliments that were heaped on our group by each and every venue during the first ten years. Those venues tried desperately to get us to plan on coming back and I would like to go back to any of them

It is my sincerest belief that CCR can thrive by adhering to just a handful of priorities.
  • Find a location that provides a good value, not just in the rooms, but in food and other elements.
  • Consider revisiting one of the prior venues, making it a real reunion.
  • Find a venue that has natural beauty for stellar riding and is reasonably removed from big city traffic
  • Provide a program that mixes the attendees, providing opportunities for members to make new friends and rekindle old relationships. Gatlinburg gave us three solid opportunities to create great mixers.
  • Lower the priority of charity and entertainment and elevate the priority of getting friends together
  • Uncomplicate the program and make every effort to provide a fundamental structure that encourages members to get together for impromptu rides, meals or other excuses to get together with friends - old and new
  • "It's the bike that brought us together, but it's the people who keep us together" & "Just Ride It!". Those are not merely slogans, they are at the very heart of the genesis of Curve Cowboy Reunion.

I still look forward to getting back to a reunion.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts