BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After an entertaining afternoon removing the exhaust from my 1999 bike, which had very corroded fasteners at the manifold, (in order to get a patch welded over a hole) I'm left with it dangling on the O2 sensor lead as that is also well and truly rusted into place!

Question...how much tupperware needs to be removed to get access to the connectors to unplug the lead? If I have to dismantle half the bike I'm tempted just to cut the leads and re-attach afterwards!

With thanks in advance.....

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
Just the left side battery cover. Circled in red.

Attachments

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What i did was......

Got the holes welded up with a couple of bits of flat metal, painted it with Hammerite to slow down the corrosion from the outside and jobs a good 'un!
Four of the original manifold studs stayed put in the head and I cleaned up the threads with a die, they came up nice, the other four came out and were beyond salvation. I had some allthread of the correct size and pitch in stock so cut it to length and used that to make new studs.
Used standard nuts to fix the manifold in place, doubling them up for extra security, and all is now well again after a brief test-ride.
The old girl is now ready for the annual MOT test (a compulsory roadworthiness test for all vehicles over 3 years old in the UK).

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts