BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of a day ride this Saturday leaving Kalkaska heading up to Grand Marais, riding the newly paved H58 to Munising then back to Kalkaska. That would be quite a day ride!! :D

Either that or down to the blessing of the bikes in Baldwin with 40,000+ other riders!! :confused:

The wife gave me the green light for whatever I want to do!! (within reason of course)

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,068 Posts
I can't help you with this ride David. How about meeting me in Frankenmuth September 22nd for lunch around 11:00 am. I'll post the restaurant later.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
saddleman said:
I can't help you with this ride David. How about meeting me in Frankenmuth September 22nd for lunch around 11:00 am. I'll post the restaurant later.

Sounds good now. Not sure what's going on that far out!!

Is this your reunion trip??

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
dthogey said:
I'm thinking of a day ride this Saturday leaving Kalkaska heading up to Grand Marais, riding the newly paved H58 to Munising then back to Kalkaska. That would be quite a day ride!! :D

Either that or down to the blessing of the bikes in Baldwin with 40,000+ other riders!! :confused:

The wife gave me the green light for whatever I want to do!! (within reason of course)
I'm quite envious of your route selection. My only thrill for now is a planned ride to the Keewanee Peninsula after CCR.

Have fun,
Jer

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Hey Dave,
Do the H58 ride. The Blessings in Baldwin is crazy nuts. I've stopped going to it because of the crowds and a concentration of idiots on bikes and frustrated cagers.

I plan on riding H58 then spending the night in Munising on my way to CCR this year. Should only be about 8 hours for me. I would think you could do it in a day It would be a long day but doable. Be sure to post a ride report.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whew!!!

That was a long, hot, fun, day!!!

485 miles on the LT today. I did the ride from Kalkaska to Grand Marais H58 (also known as the hurricane highway) almost to Munising, back track to Shingleton grab lunch then back to Kalkaska.

I meet a local guy in epoufette for breakfast. He then took me on a grand tour of some back roads up to Grand Marais along H58 stopping at a few great photo stops. Thanks Scott!!

When I left Kalkaska the temp was in the high 50's. When I got up to Alba the temp was 64. I thought I had too many clothes on. Ten miles later headed toward Gaylord the temp was down to 47. Then I was glad I had warm clothes on!! Eventually the temp got up to 90deg. It was hot. Going across the Mighty Mac on the way home, the temp fell to 68, aahhh that felt good but it didn't last long.

I had a little bit of a scare in the morning 10 miles north of Gaylord on I75. An elk was on the freeway side of the fence right next to the road. I was on it before I really saw it. Thank goodness it wasn't in the road.

The roads in the UP are in great shape and I don't think I saw one cop the whole day. Those of you heading this way to CCR have some nice options.

Thanks again Scott!!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Great ride report Dave. It gives me a great idea for a ride for our annual camping trip. What route did you take to get to Grand Maris? When you travel to the U.P. if you like burgers, Clyde's just west of 75 on 2 is a great place to eat. We have for the last couple year done a day ride up there from Holland just to get a burger. They are just that good.

Marty

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MartyBlok said:
Great ride report Dave. It gives me a great idea for a ride for our annual camping trip. What route did you take to get to Grand Maris? When you travel to the U.P. if you like burgers, Clyde's just west of 75 on 2 is a great place to eat. We have for the last couple year done a day ride up there from Holland just to get a burger. They are just that good.

Marty

Marty,

I took US2 to Epoufette. From there I followed my buddy north on a road almost across from the bayview inn, I'm sorry I can't tell you the name of the road, hopefully he will chime in and tell you. The road went north for a ways then paralleled US2 then back to the north to 28. We took 28 west to Seney then 77 north to Grand Marais. Make sure that when you check out H58 you take time to pull off and see the sights. The log slide, the hurricane river, the miners castle rock formation and I'm sure there are more. I know that there is a water fall somewhere along the way.

I will keep Clyde's in mind and compare it to Don's drive inn over in Acme. That is my wife's favorite place for burgers and her first choice for a mothers day dinner!!

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Hey Scott,

What's a good motel in Munising to spend the night at in August. Needs to be within walking distance of beer and food. In that order. :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
David, Glad you had a good time on the ride. I truley enjoy showing folks around....like the fall color photos tours we talked about.

The Epoufette Bayview Inn where we met is about 15 miles east of Naubinway along US-2. From there we headed north on Hiawatha Trail which eventually heads west. Followed to Borgstrom Rd north to M-28. M-28 west to M-77 at Seney, then north to Grand Marais and the start of the Hurricane Highway (H-58) west to Miners Castle Road north to Lake Superior and Miners Castle. Backtracked to the east on H58 for 5 miles to H-15 south to Shingleton and M-28.

Matt...I would suggest Days Inn in Munising. Glens Market is straight across and Sydney's Restaurant, home of the Shark Bay Bar are right next door. Check www.upcruising.com for other rides and services.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MartyBlok said:
Hey Dave, Where is Don's Drivein at in Acme? It sounds like a good day ride for me sometime?

Marty :bmw:

Don's drive inn is located at the corner of 4mile road and US31 (the main drag thru Acme) It is a pink building, can't miss it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.