BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Human Behaviour Analyst
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been persuaded to give AMSOIL Synthetic a try with my next engine oil change.

AMSOIL offers incredible guarantees for extended mileage use but they are subject to using their oil filters.

Does anyone know if they make an oil filter to fit a K1200 engine? If so, part number or where to get one would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Keir

·
Registered
13,451 Posts

·
Human Behaviour Analyst
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Grif.
Not sure about New Braunfels TX, but here in Fredericton, saying you won't comment is definitely a comment ..... ;)
BTW -- Can you but the AMSOIL Filter (to fit an LT) pretty much anywhere they sell the oil?

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
grifscoots said:
The Amsoil oil filter # is SMF122. They are painted black. We've run a whole bunch of them in many LT's for a buttload of miles without any problems or paint flaking.

I'm not gonna comment on extended oil changes as that's too much like an oil thread.

Is saying you're not gonna comment constitute a comment?
Is that like when Joe says he's NOT gay and it's really code for "I'm GAY"! ?? :rotf:

Whoops - hijacked another thread but its been way too long since anyone has picked on him... :D

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
grifscoots said:
The Amsoil oil filter # is SMF122. They are painted black. We've run a whole bunch of them in many LT's for a buttload of miles without any problems or paint flaking.

I'm not gonna comment on extended oil changes as that's too much like an oil thread.

Is saying you're not gonna comment constitute a comment?
Not too long ago, they changed their filter line up for the BMWs. What used to be SMF122 for the K1200LT, is now EaOM122. Looks identical to me. I've got one of each in the gearage. So I guess it's what is inside that makes the difference - somethang about nanofiber material?!?! Still painted on the outside.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The new filters supposedly allow you go longer between filter changes and trap more bad stuff.

Any dealer that sells the oil can sell you a filter.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I'm using both the amsoil synthoil and the severe gear oil. I have been using it with the BMW filters. Have a couple of the Amsoil filter that I will start using on the next change.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
grifscoots said:
... We've run a whole bunch of them in many LT's for a buttload of miles ....
Now, clarify for me if you can.

Is a buttload more or less than a crap-ton? Or am I mixing my fruit here. Maybe I should be asking about a boat-load?? I'm pretty sure that a hella-bunch is less than a boat-load, but not quite sure where buttload fits in. I'm thinking crap-ton is more than any of 'em combined - but I could wrong. :bmw:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Zotter said:

Is a buttload more or less than a crap-ton? Or am I mixing my fruit here. Maybe I should be asking about a boat-load?? I'm pretty sure that a hella-bunch is less than a boat-load, but not quite sure where buttload fits in. I'm thinking crap-ton is more than any of 'em combined - but I could wrong. :bmw:

How does one :histerica :histerica who lives inland know how much is in a boat-load? :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica

·
Registered
255 Posts
I used the chrome plated one. As far as I know I have not had any problems. I will be doing my oil change soon. I will post the results.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
For what it's worth, I was running MOBIL 1 15-50w extended performance synthetic in my '01 LT and decided to try the Amsoil 15-50w synthetic (motorcycle oil) just to see if I could tell any difference.

The difference was instantly noticable, but in a NEGATIVE way. I could hear a LOT more engine noise. Switched back to the Mobil 1 and it stopped. It was amazing. Very noticeable. (Plus the snake oil...er...I mean AMSoil, was a good bit more expensive). :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
+1 Pastor Jack.

In my 2004 GL1800 I used Mobil 1 for 15,000 miles then tried Amsoil. I could hear much more internal engine/gearbox noise with the Amsoil and the bike seemed a bit sluggish - almost like there was a greater amount of friction.

That's my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Zotter said:

I believe a buttload is a measure of distance as opposed to weight. Somewhat similar to a lightyear which some (hopefully few) believe is a measure of time...a buttload refers to the number of miles one can ride an LT with a standard seat. :rolleyes: A crap-ton is definitely a measure of weight and I believe the National Bureau of Standards maintains a weight with this name as a standard.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Friction: Mobil 1 vs. Amsoil

Did you use motorcycle specific Amsoil and Mobil 1? Were the viscosities the same on both oils? What viscosity was it? Just curious.

Fred

·
Registered
269 Posts
Reid said:
I believe a buttload is a measure of distance as opposed to weight. Somewhat similar to a lightyear which some (hopefully few) believe is a measure of time...a buttload refers to the number of miles one can ride an LT with a standard seat. :rolleyes: A crap-ton is definitely a measure of weight and I believe the National Bureau of Standards maintains a weight with this name as a standard.
Similarly from the suthern vernackular, a "fer piece" is also a measure of distance, while a "hankerin" is a measure of potential energy.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
WildwoodDreamer said:
Did you use motorcycle specific Amsoil and Mobil 1? Were the viscosities the same on both oils? What viscosity was it? Just curious.

Fred

In my case, the viscosities were the same. Both were (15 -50w)
The MOBIL 1 was not motorcycle specific (just fine in the LT) and the AMSOIL was motorcycle specific.

·
Registered
42 Posts
First Timer

OK... I'm lazy. I know I could look up the info in my owner's manual, but it's much more interesting hearing it from all of you.

I've been doing my own service on my Harleys for years, being a big fan of AMSOIL more recently, so you'll have to bear with my "newbie-ish-ness" (is that a real word???) on the LT. On the Harley, I used AMSOIL for the tranny, motor, and primary every 5K. My understanding with the LT is that fluids need changed at 6K intervals. I'm now at 18K on my used '05 LT and would like to do this myself. What fluids need changed and can the same lubricant be used in all of these? It's interesting that Mobil 1 users noticed more "noise" when switching to AMSOIL. On the Harley, AMSOIL made things much more quiet and smoother. Also, for those of you using Mobil 1, where can I get a filter besides the BMW dealer? Consider me a lemming... if y'all are doing it, then I will too! Thanks much!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I used Mobil 1 that was recommended for wet clutch motorcycle applications (red cap?) and Amsoil MC oil.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
My experience exactly with Amsoil.

05 Road Glide, 98", 615/585 sticks, duel 50mm throttle body, 10.8:1, roughly 110/115 HP/Torque, and Amsoil ran it quiet. Mobil was noisy, Amsoil not. I am using Sever Gear Amsoil in my FD and Trany on the LT, 600, 3000, and the upcoming 6000 service.

Guess there is a difference on the LT, and I wont know for another 6000 until my most EXCELLENT Service Manger tells me it is OK, he said 12,000 for a minimum on Synth in the motor.

GeezerBeemer66 said:
OK... I'm lazy. I know I could look up the info in my owner's manual, but it's much more interesting hearing it from all of you.

I've been doing my own service on my Harleys for years, being a big fan of AMSOIL more recently, so you'll have to bear with my "newbie-ish-ness" (is that a real word???) on the LT. On the Harley, I used AMSOIL for the tranny, motor, and primary every 5K. My understanding with the LT is that fluids need changed at 6K intervals. I'm now at 18K on my used '05 LT and would like to do this myself. What fluids need changed and can the same lubricant be used in all of these? It's interesting that Mobil 1 users noticed more "noise" when switching to AMSOIL. On the Harley, AMSOIL made things much more quiet and smoother. Also, for those of you using Mobil 1, where can I get a filter besides the BMW dealer? Consider me a lemming... if y'all are doing it, then I will too! Thanks much!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts