BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,177 Posts
Wait until AMSOIL makes them un-painted!

graydude said:
Has anyone ever heard of paint coming off a filter?? I've been using Amsoil in all my vehicles ( no, I'm not a dealer ) for over 15 years and have never seen any paint. I think this comes from the same ole wives tale (I know I'm gonna piss off David S. ) but has anyone ever heard of a Cee-Bailey windshield turning into shards upon impact? Remember, Cee Baily got their start manufacturing windshields for aircraft flying substantially faster than an LT. Just my $.02 worth.
I LOVE Amsoil product and have a commercial account, but,

I just now checked 3 filters in my garage (For my auto's), two are perfect, one has paint bubbles around the crimped beading at the gasket and loose paint.

If you completely trust placing them IN THE OIL I would STRONGLY suggest using a plastic wrench or something to prevent scratching the flats.

My mechanical knowledge is my nemesis, I personally I would always be worried about paint flaking and playing havoc in the engines lubrication system. With my luck it will happen to me!:(

Tim,

I thought I read (on their web site) that Amsoil allows you to double the change interval using their oil. (12,000 mile vs. 6,000) (Harley 10,000 vs. 5,000)

Am I correct?

· Registered
1,177 Posts
TimVipond said:
Tim,

I thought I read (on their web site) that Amsoil allows you to double the change interval using their oil. (12,000 mile vs. 6,000) (Harley 10,000 vs. 5,000)

Am I correct?
Correct, up to double the OEM oil change interval for the oil and the AMSOIL filter or 1 year whichever comes first. They've got car oils up to 35,000 miles normal driving or one year, whichever is first. I wish they had that for motorcycles![/QUOTE]
Thanks Tim,
BTW, I just got off the phone w/ my Amsoil jobber. He said they have the filter in chrome (EAOM 122 C (chrome). Not enough demand to make the unpainted filter.
This may help resolve the possible paint failure scare.

· Registered
1,177 Posts
chrome version oil filter, EaOM122C

TimVipond said:
Even though I am not concerned about paint coming off the AMSOIL filter and causing problems, I sent AMSOIL the following request.

Name TIM & TERESA VIPOND
ZO or Acct Number 1181889
Email [email protected]
Comments Please make a version of the EaOM122 unpainted. These are used in BMW motorcycles that have the oil filter sitting inside the oil pan with the engine oil. There is alot of concern that the paint could come off the filter and into the oil and cause problems in the engine. Many potential customers refuse to use any painted filter submersed in oil and we could probably sell more of these than the painted filter. Plus it would likely cost less.

I suggest others contact AMSOIL at www.amsoil.com and make the same request. Maybe if enough potential customers act, we will get the best filter made for our bikes, unpainted, and maybe for a buck less.
This is the response from AMSOIL;

Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 2:28 PM
To: Mail TechService
Subject: RE: Technical Service Contact Form

Dear Sir:

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concerns.

In response to your inquiry, AMSOIL also offers a chrome version, EaOM122C, has a little or no chance of the coating coming off.

Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely

Richard Holappa, Jr.

Technical Product Manager: Filtration

The accuracy of this e-mail response is dependent upon the information provided. AMSOIL INC. is not responsible for wrong recommendations that were based on inaccurate or incomplete information

· Registered
1,177 Posts
BMW recommends CASROL!

dshealey said:
The Castrol oil does have SH in the rating. And, nowhere does BMW state that one should use "Motorcycle" SH rated oil in the LT. The one email you had was useless, and did not state any BMW engineering mandated specification, just one misguided persons opinion. Later oils can still use the earlier designations if the oil has not changed in such a way as to no longer meet that standard. BMW stated no SJ rated oil when it first came out, and if I remember correctly SJ was the first API rating ever that was not fully backward compatible. Newer ratings on SOME oils however have re-instated the SH rating, which means that they now fulfill ALL requirements of SH, or they could not put it in the specification. So, using it FULLY and COMPLETELY fulfills BMW's stated oil specification for use in the LT.

Yes, I can and will use what oil I please, as will you. No problem with that at all. I do have an issue with your scare tactics trying to get people to use whatever brand you are pushing, when there is absolutely NO historical record whatsoever for the past 3 decades on the "K" engine that supports any need, or even any noticeable gain due to the "advantages" you state. Basically, if it ain't broke, there is no gain in "fixing" it. It is like someone to whom a size 9 shoe is perfectly comfortable thinking that a size 10 would be fantastic.

As I said, if I get a bike with the new K configuration, then I may consider Amsoil, IF it is available on a moments notice local to me, other wise I will use a high grade brand that meets the specs needed and more readily available, and have absolutely no qualms about it being good enough.

Now if there were actual INDEPENDENT tests (not sponsored by or run by any one oil company) that showed any significant measurable gains in any area that actually improved end performance of or lengthened the service life of the LT style engine due to oil used, then that would be more acceptable as a possible reason someone may wish to use it. Otherwise, it is all just wishful thinking and hot air overkill. Yes, a 30-06 will kill a squirrel, but why? Does it kill it any "better"? How many here will actually ever wear out an LT engine? Don Arthur had well over 300,000 miles on his, and it was still running just fine. Several have gone over 200,000 with no issues, mine looked and measured like it would have easily topped 200,000 if not for the detonation damaged pistons. What will Amsoil, or any other oil do to improve that, and how many riders here really care? I imagine out of the thousands of LTs on the road, only a handful will ever see much over 200,000 on them. Maybe the second, third, etc. owners will in a few years. Not many first owners will spend extra money to help out the later owners though.
[/QUOTE]TimVipondDavid, so did you really put 60,000 miles on a K1200LT with an API SM rated oil like you said you did? This is the issue. I don't know anyone that has. Nobody recommends an API SM rated car oil for a K1200LT except for you. I prefer to follow the recommendations of the engineers that built the engine and those that formulate the oil specifically for its use. The 2006 BMW manual does not recommend any car oil with the API SJ, SL or SM designation, even if it is SH. The new designation are formulation changes that BMW is not recommending. I don't see how you can say it is a "scare tactic" to recommend following what the manufacturer says.

I'm glad you brought up Don Arthur's bike. He used the BMW motorcycle oil at 15,000 mile oil changes. No API SJ, SL, SM. Just the manual specified API SF, SG, SH.[/QUOTE]

Gentlemen,

I have attached a scan of my BMW maintenance oil spec. pages for my 2006 LT.

Interesting enough it states at the bottom lower right “BMW recommends Castrol”.

Additionally it clearly states that “Proprietary HD oil, API classification SF, SG, OR (emphasis added) SH………..The word OR is important, as is “classification G4, OR G-5; suffix PD2 is allowable”.

We sure have veered from the original question from “Caper11I am also thinking about using an Amsoil oil filter. This filter is painted so it makes me a little apprehensive about using it. Should I use the BMW stock filter or would it be OK to use the Amsoil filter?”

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.