BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I decided to give the Amsoil products a try. I purchased the Amsoil oil filter, EAOM-122

I noticed the filter is slightly smaller in diameter than the OEM BMW filter.

I have the BMW filter wrench. Well, since the Amsoil filter is smaller, the wrench will not work. It fits losely inside the wrench.

Anyone else have this issue?

One would think an filter replacement would be identical. Go figure.

Erick

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
--------- INCOMING -------------

Just kidding and waiting for all of the flack! Might not be the same? I'd hesitate to use it simply because it is so critical to the engines performance and if it isn't the correct size, maybe there are other negative differences.

Lots of other good reasons (search) to not use it. I just don't see the cost vs risk reward!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I thought we weren't allowed to say *MS*OI* on this site any more?? :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have the same issue with the Amsoil filter.It is a little smaller but does work. I went back to a BMW filter because I could not find a filter wrench that fit the Amsoil filter well enough.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Re: ****** Oil Filter - Issue

If I am not mistaken, the ****** filter is a WIX with the ****** brand on it. You do not need to use that filter just because you use ******! I am sure that BMW does not make filters just as they do not make oil, but their filters fit and work well no matter what oil one uses. The small cost difference for the BMW filter is moot compared to the peace of mind it gives. MHO :bmw:

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts

Boatzo said:
If I am not mistaken, the ****** filter is a WIX with the ****** brand on it. You do not need to use that filter just because you use ******! I am sure that BMW does not make filters just as they do not make oil, but their filters fit and work well no matter what oil one uses. The small cost difference for the BMW filter is moot compared to the peace of mind it gives. MHO :bmw:
I've been using ****** engine oil, tranny and FD lube for over 100,000 miles on ole Toad. Been using an *Oil Filter "A" Cap Wrench* that I bought at either O'Reilly or Advance Auto. Marketed by OEM Company out of Mineola, NY. Fits perfect, with ample flutes. (Also fits a plethora of Fram, Motorcraft and AC filters too). Thin wall, metallic using a 3/8" wrench extension. Less than 5 bucks. I bought several for some buds of mine who were using ****** products.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts

Correction:
You don't have an "oil filter" issue
you have an oil filter wrench issue.
find one that fits it, problem solved.

Wallmart sells set of three (sizes) cheap
if you're not sure take the filter with you.

If it filters oil it will work.

Don't listen to all the bs about bypass valve pressure etc.

if you ever get enough dirt in your oil for the filter to plug
and go into bypass mode,
you're motor has already disintegrated to the point
where a filter isn't going to help.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts

ehaughn said:
Did I miss something here with *MS*IL?

Bad press or something?
Few years back an *AMS*OI* dealer joined the board, and spammed relentlessly. Got pretty heated, so for a while the rule was, "No ****** Posts"! To get around it, guys would get creative in spelling A*M*OI*.. :D

Which is why if you try to spell ******, you get nothing legible...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I wanted to provide you all an update on the A****L oil filter.

I found a perfect Cap Oil Filter Wrench, carried at NAPA.

I think it cost me $5.00.

Made by Evercraft Service Tools, part number is 776-9124.

Fits nice and snug.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts