BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used Amsoil in the past I went to the dealer today and they had stated that I need to use the 15W50. Amsoil does not make this wt. The question I have is the 15w50 ok to use

Thanks
Kevin Morgan

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
The 15W50 is ok. Depending on the season, I use either 20W50 or 10W40. With these liquid cooled motors, engine temperatures are more stable than with the boxers, so oil viscosity is less critical.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Amsoil does make a 20-50 motorcycle oil which I have used in my 2005 LT for 50,000 miles with no problems. If you go to www.amsoil.com and look at the motorcycle oils page it is the MCV oil

·
Registered
704 Posts
We had an Amsoil salesman at our BMW riders club meeting on Monday night. They make a 20w50 all synth motorcycle oil. Retails for about $8.95/qt.

·
Banned
588 Posts
Kevin,

I had the same question so I asked the AMSOIL Tech Service for some help. Since AMSOIL recommends it for this application, they will warranty if a part fails due to their recommendation. The AMSOIL MCV oil has the following cold weather typical properties:

CCS Viscosity (ASTM D2602)
5609 @ -15°C
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-97)
-39 (-38)

AMSOIL 10W40 MCF motorcycle oil has these values:
CCS Viscosity (ASTM D2602)
6794 @ -25°C
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-97)
-46 (-51)

Probably not an issue unless you start your BMW with an oil temperature below -15C, or if the engine turns over too slow. Might just be a BMW marketing ploy to buy their oil?

I'd be interested in the BMW 15W50 numbers if anyone has them. I don't think I've seen any of their typical property data.

Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 2:17 PM
To: Mail TechService
Subject: RE: Technical Service Contact Form

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concerns.

In response to your inquiry, we would highly recommend the use of the AMSOIL 20W-50 MCV motorcycle oil in the new BMW models K1200S and K1200ST.

Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely.

David Anderson

Technical Product Manager

AMSOIL Inc.

Every attempt has been made to ensure that the information provided in this e-mail correspondence is accurate and reliable. However, AMSOIL INC. makes no warranty guarantee or promise (expressed or implied) concerning the accuracy of our e-mail response, as it is based solely on the information provided to us by the e-mail originator.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 11:41 AM
To: Anderson, Dave
Subject: FW: Technical Service Contact Form

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2005 6:43 AM
To: Mail TechService
Subject: Technical Service Contact Form

Below are the results of your feedback form.
Date: Saturday, August 13, 2005 at 06:42:49
Sponsor ZO: none

Field Name
Value

feedback.setup

required
Name

Name
Tim Vipond

Email
[email protected]

Comments
My BMW dealer says that BMW has issued a service bulletin saying only a 10W50 oil is to be used in the new K1200S and K1200ST motorcycles. Has AMSOIL 10W40 or 20W50 been approved for this application?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've been using ****** 20/50 for 2 years and can attest to working as advertised. I change it about every 4000 miles and it comes out nice and relatively clean. Check out their 80/90 gear lube for the final and tranny, works very well

Tim Reed
02 Toscana Green (The Toad)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: ****** 20W50

<sorry to reopen an old topic with a common question>

For a 2005 K12LT, what does the documentation (owners and/or service manual) specify for oil weight (in particular, 20W50 vs 10W40)?

Thanks!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,139 Posts

20W50 is what is specified. I have been using 15W50 Mobil1 as it is available locally. The top number is the most critical. That is the viscosity of the oil at temperature, the other is the viscosity at cold.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

I have been told that ****** Motorcycle oil is formulated for WET clutch applications and of course we have dry clutches(or at least they should be). I do not understand all the technical stuff on the constituents of the various oils, very complicated. I used ****** 20/50 standard oil for a long time in my RT and last year switched to the ****** MC oil because that was what my local store had in stock. Put it in the LT as well and have experienced no problems. I will probably switch to Mobil 1 next time due to availability. I understand that Mobil 1 does not come in 20/50, only 15/50. I also see that Wally World brand synthetic oil is much cheaper than Mobil 1 , wonder if it is any good ???

·
Registered
530 Posts

Really...... another ******* Oil page...aren't there enough ****** Oil threads already!! :rotf:
Personally, I use ****** synthetic oil and am very happy with it so far.....I went to ****** synthetic oil after reading all the ******* oil threads and decided to take the plunge since my bike was "mature" enough to use it in its belly! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

Howdy, Folks.
Oil? You mean it has oil inside it?

Pokin' and Proddin' Karl

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts

So if I want to do a search for *****, do I type in ***** ?

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts

DanDiver said:
So if I want to do a search for *****, do I type in ***** ?

***** :corn: *****

·
Registered
375 Posts

oil thread...G I don't know...let me go ask the wife...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts