BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally test rode one of these beauties, an 05 model.

Im 6'02'' tall with a 35 inch inseam. I weigh about 195.

I had the seat up high, it had 1 1/2 inch peg drops, stock seat, but I felt like I was really crammed into the cockpit. I couldnt seem to get my legs comfortable. My thighs were just too high. Other than that, loved the bike, loved the power, loved the smoothness, loved the handling.

Any body have this problem, and how was it fixed? Besides a custom seat!

On my current bike, I used a thin dense foam under my seat beads, which gives a very firm and flat seat. Perhaps the same on the big K?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am about your height, but with a 30" inseam, and my 09 LT fits me fine. The leg length is probably the issue. Are you aware the seat has two positions? Higher might be better for you. Swing it forward and you'll see the adjuster bar. I use both on long rides for some variety. PastorGene

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I am NOT too tall for an LT, but some have put on peg lowering kits..

My new to me '09 have JPEGS vs my old '09 did not have JPEGS

I really like the JPEGS for stretching my legs..

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm about the same size - 36" inseam and 205 - same height. I have the peg extenders and the seat in the high position and I feel great on it! If you have a stock seat, I'd suggest getting it re-padded at the least anyway; you can add more padding, be more comfortable and you can go the distance. Check out: www.kontourseat.com (member herein), or www.astechseats.com. There's plenty of others out there, too!

·
Registered
335 Posts
You get what you get with an LT or at least it seems that way to me. The options for modifying fit and rider position are pretty few compared to other makes. I am pretty similar in size to you at 6' 2" and a 34" inseam. I rode an '00 LT for 40K miles with the seat in the lower position, rider pegs mounted in the factory position and no J-Pegs. My legs would always feel cramped after an or so but my upper body liked the upright rider position. A backrest helped a lot.

I have added rider peg extenders on my '05 model and the leg cramps are not a problem any more. I have XL J-Pegs and they are nice for a change of position but they are really not as comfortable as I thought they might be.

It sounds like you have tried all the usual comfort fixes so if it still isn't working for you, maybe you are too tall for the LT or maybe you don't love it enough.

·
Registered
241 Posts
tips727 said:
I have added rider peg extenders on my '05 model and the leg cramps are not a problem any more. I have XL J-Pegs and they are nice for a change of position but they are really not as comfortable as I thought they might be.
Tips, have you tried the ****-O-Pegs? They look like they drop down under the tip over bars, and have a more comfortable position for us with long legs.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
oldnslow said:
So I finally test rode one of these beauties, an 05 model.

Im 6'02'' tall with a 35 inch inseam. I weigh about 195.

I had the seat up high, it had 1 1/2 inch peg drops, stock seat, but I felt like I was really crammed into the cockpit. I couldnt seem to get my legs comfortable. My thighs were just too high. Other than that, loved the bike, loved the power, loved the smoothness, loved the handling.

Any body have this problem, and how was it fixed? Besides a custom seat!

On my current bike, I used a thin dense foam under my seat beads, which gives a very firm and flat seat. Perhaps the same on the big K?
I am 6'2" with 33" inseam. I cannot stand the high position as it pitches me too far forward. I much prefer the low setting and am considering lowering the footpegs. I tried the Mic-O-Pegs on a friends bike and did not care for them at all. I MUST be able to stand on the pegs for relief. Robert

·
Registered
335 Posts
L_Rudy said:
Tips, have you tried the ****-O-Pegs? They look like they drop down under the tip over bars, and have a more comfortable position for us with long legs.
No Rudy, I haven't tried the ****-O-Pegs. I used to think they were so ugly that I wouldn't want them but after my disappointment with the J-Pegs, I have reconsidered my previous opinion and they are starting to look better all the time. I would like to try some out and see if function wins over beauty.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
6'5, 240lbs.. No f'in clue what my inseam is. Maybe the wife does thought... :histerica

Jpegs, peg lowering kit and long, long.... long enjoyable rides...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am 6'4" and 220 with a 36 in inseam. I had the same problem but I installed lower floor boards by Darius and made all the difference. I am raising my already high seat with a sheep skin. It is worth the effort. there is not another bike that can compare.

2006 LT
Fremont Ca.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yep, I've got a 34" inseam and crook hips. Mine canes the hell out of me, even with the seat right up and SM footpeg relocators. Copious amounts of asprin for me tends to help, though I can't recommend it for anyone else of course. I've placed a 20 mm thick spacer between the front pivotting seat bracket and seat pan, this tends to help slightly with creating a bucket effect, which I actually believe is the problem with the LT. Those Germans can build a bike, but they have no clue about ergonomics on the LT ! Early next year I will be immobilised for quite some time after corrective leg surgery, during that tim Mr. Ron K Miller will be receiving my seat to create a "bucket" with wings for me. I'm hoping that will improve the situation. Such a large bike with a crammed seating position, makes no sense to me, but then I'm just one of those loose Ozzies. ;)

·
Registered
835 Posts
6'-10" 36" inseam.
Russell saddle, XL J Pegs
Love my LT (and GSA)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
kk610lt said:
6'-10" 36" inseam.
Russell saddle, XL J Pegs
Love my LT (and GSA)
:eek: I think we can officially close/lock this thread. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
5' 19" here. 125k miles on the LT, standard seat. On long trips, for me it was about moving into different positions... standing, sitting on the back seat, feet on back footpegs. ****'O's were very good on the straights, JP's were kinda OK for variety, I used to sit my calves on them.

Best thing for comfort was the backrest, that made a huge difference.

Upper or lower seat position didn't seem to make much difference, generally higher. Had a bead seat on for most of the 10 years.

Overall, I spent lots $'s on the LT over the years, but never bothered to get another seat.

I now have a Russell day-long seat on a K12GT and this is excellent, I would have liked one on my LT.

·
Registered
114 Posts
6'6", 36" inseam, J-pegs XL, lowered foot pegs, Rick Mayer saddle. Perfect bike, getting ready to go 5k miles with the wifey this week, the bike is close to perfection on the road. The seat mod is a must though, I don't know how anybody can ride on that stock seat, it's too low and makes you miserable in a couple hours.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
rmg08057 said:
5' 19" here. 125k miles on the LT, standard seat. On long trips, for me it was about moving into different positions... standing, sitting on the back seat, feet on back footpegs. ****'O's were very good on the straights, JP's were kinda OK for variety, I used to sit my calves on them.

Best thing for comfort was the backrest, that made a huge difference.

Upper or lower seat position didn't seem to make much difference, generally higher. Had a bead seat on for most of the 10 years.

Overall, I spent lots $'s on the LT over the years, but never bothered to get another seat.

I now have a Russell day-long seat on a K12GT and this is excellent, I would have liked one on my LT.
... something I wanted to add. It may seem as if I wasn't answering your question on cramped leg position... but I was saying that the sitting comfort contributes a significant proportion to the leg comfort.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm 230 lbs, 6'3" and 34" inseam (according to my 38/34 jeans). I'm comfortable with Darius forward and lowered floorboards, seat in the high position and Alaskan Leathers sheepskin cover. Most comfortable arrangement I've found so far and I've tried the Suburban Machinery peg lowerers as well as an AirHawk seat cushion. The Darius floorboards give me a little more room to move my feet around on hour+ rides at a time to help keep my legs from bothering me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am 6'2" and it is interesting because I had to lower the foot pegs as my legs were too cramped but I barely reach the ground if I add any padding to the seat. I also have both the J-Pegs and the ****-O-Pegs installed. ****-O-Peg can provide the bolts to allow both. I personally do not like the J-Pegs as they spread my legs out too far to be comfortable and while you can't stand on the ****-O-pegs they do let me stretch out nicely.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am also 6'2" tall on a 2005 K1200LT and I find the ****-O-Pegs to be worthless to me. They do not allow me to stretch out for my shins hit the BMW front tip over bars. I would like to sell the ****-O-Pegs and try the J-Pegs XL. Does anyone have more info how the J-Pegs XL work out for a person with 34" inseam?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ilium Works has a footboard kit that lowers The leg position by 1 3/4". This may be enough to suit you. They are Pricey ($445), but they are another option. I have not tried them, but I have the passenger peg kit and the boss really likes them!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.