BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any body else hits the starter button when trying to lower the center stand. I have on three times now (without thinking, which is the problem here) hit the starter button instead of the CS button. It usually happens when the bike is running and just curious if that can cause damage? Causes a whining noise when doing so. I feel like an idiot since I have not heard anyone else talking about the 2 buttons being so close to each other.
I think I will from now on turn the bike off first.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,924 Posts
You are not the only one that has done that. I thought my stand had failed until I realised I was pressing the starter button.

It won't hurt anything as you press the starter button also to operate reverse and that is all driven from the rear of the starter, its the stuff at the front that starts the engine.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
You don't ever get your front brakes and the throttle mixed up, do ya? :eek: They're mighty close together as well. :p

(Everybody's a comedian!) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
jzeiler said:
You are not the only one that has done that. I thought my stand had failed until I realised I was pressing the starter button.

It won't hurt anything as you press the starter button also to operate reverse and that is all driven from the rear of the starter, its the stuff at the front that starts the engine.
Hey John,
:p :D

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY BE THAT STUPID, hey wait a minute I've done that as well.

It is EXTREMELY SMART of you to "Pre Start" your bike as I have done ;)

No worries Mate

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Many times!!!

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
I am guilty of this a few times :eek: .................

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
hifiman said:
Just wondering if any body else hits the starter button when trying to lower the center stand. I have on three times now (without thinking, which is the problem here) hit the starter button instead of the CS button. It usually happens when the bike is running and just curious if that can cause damage?
I, am reluctant taking the stage with these fine comedians.. It will not hurt the bike. The LT uses a sprag (one way) clutch to couple the starter, so there is no solenoid or engagement of gears when the starter operates. The motor simply spins and since the engine is still running faster than the starter would turn it, the clutch doesn't even engage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts