BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...says it all. ;-)

been getting maintenence supplies from beemer boneyard, and they can't second source the gasket for the screw cap on the bottom of the tank to support a fuel filter change.

anyone here reused the tank gasket without being immolated?

(of course, if you HAD been incinerated.. you likely wouldn't answer...) ;-)

given what happens when the joint goes bad, this doesn't seem like a bet i'd like to gamble on.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
I have reused mine twice now with no problems. The trick is to remove it and clean it really well. Inspect it and if it is torn anywhere obviously replace it. If it is in good shape then reinstall it on the tank, insert the fuel pump assy (you cleaned it up as well on both sides?). Then I smear a little (and I mean a little) light grease on the outside (metal part only) of the fuel pump assy where the big nut faces it and torque to spec. The grease helps keep the assy from turning when you torque down the big nut. Follow that and you will have no leaks.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
CharlieVT said:
I have reused my six times so far.
That's kinda where I'm at. I have a spare on hand just in case. Same with the valve cover gasket

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
I always reuse them. Before taking it apart, take a carpenter's cayon, or the like, and make a mark on the nut and a corresponding mark on the gas tank. This will give you a reference to retighten.

The arrows that line up the assembly and the tank: I put it about one inch past each other and when I tighten, they end up lined up.

If a gasket did tear (one never has), I would use my roll of cork and make a new one. I've only had to do this for the top, sending unit.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
My dealer reuses them but only after drying them out for 24 hrs as he says that they can sometimes de-form when tightening the big nut. So I suppose the answer is to have a spare if doing the job in the same day.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Just bought my air filter, fuel filter and 4 spark plugs from my dealer for only $119.00 he insisted on the rubber gasket for only $8.00 more. I love these guys. :bmw:

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
BigGeo said:
Just bought my air filter, fuel filter and 4 spark plugs from my dealer for only $119.00 he insisted on the rubber gasket for only $8.00 more. I love these guys. :bmw:
Goerge I know it's a little late now but next time get THIS kit from Beemer Boneyard. It will save you some cash.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,594 Posts
katnapinn said:
Goerge I know it's a little late now but next time get THIS kit from Beemer Boneyard. It will save you some cash.
Thanks Steve. I am going to order this kit. I was just going to take a ride to my dealer to buy these parts, but one of my friends told me that they do not give any discounts anymore. It is a shame because I believe in supporting the local dealers, but if they want to cut off their arm, so be it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts