BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all;

Need some quick help. Does the blue wire that connects to the alternator also tell the battery light on the dash to come on? I know it tells it to charge. I completed the clutch install and everything seems to work except for the alternator, which i also changed. But the battery light "never' comes on. It should when you turn the key on and go off when the engine starts.
Ideas.
Wanted to ride to work tomorrow, well we will see. Im going back in to see If I see something obvious.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Zeke said:
Hey all;

Need some quick help. Does the blue wire that connects to the alternator also tell the battery light on the dash to come on? I know it tells it to charge. I completed the clutch install and everything seems to work except for the alternator, which i also changed. But the battery light "never' comes on. It should when you turn the key on and go off when the engine starts.
Ideas.
Wanted to ride to work tomorrow, well we will see. Im going back in to see If I see something obvious.
Thanks

Hey again;

Is there another way to "excite" the alternator.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
Zeke said:
Hey again;

Is there another way to "excite" the alternator.
Show it dirty generator pictures. (Sorry couldn't resist).

The blue wire goes through a bulb(in the dash) that is tied to switched power. It also goes to pin 9 on the diagnostic plug.

You could find a small bulb and tie one end to the battery and the other to pin 9 on the diagnostic plug.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Pull the little wire from the alternator, ground it, turn on the ignition and see if the light comes on. If it does not, then there is a problem in the bulb circuit. If it does, then there is a problem with the brush/slip ring circuit in the alternator.

Use another bulb, wire from battery positive to the bulb then bulb to alternator where the small wire connects. If the bulb lights, then the alternator should charge when you start the engine.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys;

I will try it tomorrow. i guess its the train tomorrow, really sucks.
I will post dirty alt pic later.LOL
It just sucks to do all the hours of work and one little wire can stop you in your tracks.
I will let you know.

Zeke

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey again;

Well 2 alternators later from different sellers and still an issue. Now I get the light but no charging. Im going to get a 12v bulb from work and try to "jump" it. Its hard to believe 2 bad alt from different sellers. i must be missing something.
Any help will be appreciated.

thanks all.

train AGAIN.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey guys;

Well checked all the wires i could reach, cleaned them and the connection points.
And no joy in mudville. Light comes on from blue wire and no charge, tried all the way up to 6k rpm and no change in voltage and light never goes out.. So Im going to take the first ebay alternator to the auto shop for a check and see what happens.
Buyer beware. Unless you fine folks have an idea, the engine comes down again.x3
Ba hum Bug.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Zeke,

What is the latest on your alternator problem...I hope you have it resolved now.

Ron

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys had to recoup from the frustration. Well I took the first "bad" alternator to the shop and the guy took the brushes out and reseated them. I dont know what that means, just telling the story. Checked it and it was perfect, would push out 21v. So I dropped the engine again, pretty good at it now, about 1 1/2 hours. Installed and checked and all is good. She runs absolutely perfect. Ran her up to 110, runs smooth as silk. I installed the new siebnerock clutch. Hard to tell the difference because I had the other one for 218k miles. But she sure is smooth, almost feels like shes slipping but "not". Once I felt good, i redlined her thru 3 gears and the front end was a little light every shift.
So all is well. I guess I was too stubborn to believe I got 2 bad alt from 2 vendors but it happens.
Thanks to all that helped and listened to my rants. No left over parts, wow.
I have a good used plate with 1mm left on her, for sale cheap. LOL
Well thanks again, Im going riding.

Zeke

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Great news that you are up and running again...now I don't have to worry about passing you up with mileage LOL.

I just replaced a kitchen faucet 2 times because the first new one leaked. I feel your pain.

Enjoy the ride!

Ron

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sometimes that worse, you're on your back plus the twist oh yipee.
Just take a ride here for dinner and you will be closer in miles to me. I promise I wont ride till you get here. Cross my fingers. lol
Enjoy your new faucet.
Keep the rubber side down.

Zeke

1 - 11 of 11 Posts