BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The antenna made for home use is a bit larger and is wired differently so that it does not need a ground plane. I tucked one under my gauge cover on the starboard side of the windshield actuator, pointed straight up. It hasn't lost the signal yet.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I actually attached my antenna magnetically to the ballast for my HID headlight on top of the headlight housing in the nose cone. Works pretty well butt I do lose the signal occasionally.

Cheers!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I need one

munson said:
The antenna made for home use is a bit larger and is wired differently so that it does not need a ground plane. I tucked one under my gauge cover on the starboard side of the windshield actuator, pointed straight up. It hasn't lost the signal yet.
Hi folks,
I have been using Sirius only since the end of Dec, I have a Sirius One and the included magnetic antenna mounted on my BMR Co-Pilot shelf. I installed a small steel plate on the right side of the BMR shelf with double-side tape and stuck the antenna onto that.

I love the Sirius content, and the sound quality through the built-in FM transmitter is not bad (I don't use the intercom), my problem is that I get "No Signal" (and no sound) about 15 times on my way to work (1/2 hour ride), and this is on pretty open roads. Have other people also had good luck with using a "home" style antenna, such as the Monster home antenna? If so I may pick one up, they seem to run $30-40. Aside from the intermittent loss of signal, I love the radio.

My next step is figuring out a way to connect the direct audio out into my ice>Link iPod adapter so I can feed directly into the factory stereo, or maybe a hard-wired FM modulator for better sound quality. Suggestions in this area?

Thanks,
OB

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Here's one option

atps1234 said:
I love the Sirius content, and the sound quality through the built-in FM transmitter is not bad (I don't use the intercom), my problem is that I get "No Signal" (and no sound) about 15 times on my way to work (1/2 hour ride), and this is on pretty open roads. Have other people also had good luck with using a "home" style antenna, such as the Monster home antenna? If so I may pick one up, they seem to run $30-40. Aside from the intermittent loss of signal, I love the radio.
I too experience this problem. Had it yesterday on my way back from Columbia, SC. IIRC, I didn't have it on my way to Columbia. Hmmmmm. Prolly need to check the antenna location on the truck.

atps1234 said:
My next step is figuring out a way to connect the direct audio out into my ice>Link iPod adapter so I can feed directly into the factory stereo, or maybe a hard-wired FM modulator for better sound quality. Suggestions in this area?
You might want to see if there is one of these that will work with your radio. Radio connection is under the left side tank panel on the stingray. One of them should be better for not letting the local signal over drive the low wattage one built into most of either the Sirius or XM cradles. I have found a couple in the past that require power and will require DC power from the bike.

Cheers

·
Registered
210 Posts
Steve_R said:
Radio connection is under the left side tank panel on the stingray.

Is this a standard "banana plug" AM/FM type antenna connector? That is what most of the modulators (including the one you linked) use.

Thanks!
OB

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Yep

atps1234 said:
Is this a standard "banana plug" AM/FM type antenna connector? That is what most of the modulators (including the one you linked) use.

Thanks!
OB
Yep, standard banana plug.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Nice!

Sweet! I saw a Sirius-branded FM modulator at Circuit City today for ~$19.95!

Thanks for the tip!

OB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts