BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come up with some parts laying around from an old camera tripod, which should work well to mount the Magellan Crossover GPS to the stingray, and provide all kinds of screen positioning options.

My question is, can I drill through the BMW emblem leaving it there, through to the other side, to mount a bolt?

Is there something in there that would prevent drilling? I could not feel anything underneath that would leave me to suggest it can not be done.

If I do use that emblem for a mount, is it solid enough to support a GPS, or will the emblem then fall out drilling out it's center?

I may need to reinforce this mount with epoxy. Any recommendations for epoxy that can be filled at one shot, almost 1" thick?

I should have the bike apart in a week or so, and hope to solve this mounting issue if I can at that time.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
That's how I mounted mine. You will have to take the dashboard out to install the nut on the back of the bolt. I would also recommend a nut and washer on the top of the dash board to reinforce it even further.

Here is a pic of my Iway 500C that installed last summer:

I attached it using a 1" 3/8 x16 threaded stud with a star washer and a nut. I attached a two inch extender to make the unit sit higher. This past trip to STC, I had the unit tilted up and resting on the tank bag. It even swings out of the way to allow better access to the radio.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks like what I will do. I hate to dismantle a perfectly good tripod, but I need the GPS and this will not cost very much. I will have the bike apart anyway, so this is a good time to get this mounted. Thanks for the reply!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts