BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is any bike perfect? I have to say that after picking up a 2014 RT three weeks ago, this bike is very close to perfect. I love it already and it beats the passion I had for all my previous bikes (Yamaha Silverado Cruiser, Goldwing, Yamaha FJR, BMW LT).

Mine is one of the returned 2014s, so it was previously registered. It had 3000+ miles on it when I bought it and of course the recall shock was fixed.

The previous owner had gone overboard on the top case and installed the luxury top case from the GTL. My significant other loves the comfort back there!

I am already appreciating the gear shift pro. As others have said, it works best in third gear and above and with the right engine revs it's flawless.

So what's not perfect? I had to add GS mirrors, as the view behind with the standard mirrors could be better. The GS mirrors are a prefect compliment and give lots of options when used together with the standard mirrors.

The seat is a little hard for me so I see a Russell Day Long in my future!

I don't see the need for the analog speedo; its hard to read and the digital speedo in the computer menu rotation is much more useful. I would use the analog speedo space for a permanent display digital speedo.

Very minor complaints for a superb bike. I am looking forward to a long and happy life together!

Ian

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I am picking up my 2014 tomorrow. I am taking the mirrors from my 2010(which is going on trade) and putting them on the new RT. I believe these mirrors I am using are mirrors for the GS, which I originally bought to put on my LT. This will be the 3rd bike that these mirrors have been on....I really don't know why BMW can't make this an option, or install "mirror ready" pipe clamps on the bars so you wouldn't have to buy the adaptor to screw the mirrors onto the bars. Add up the price of the mirrors, and the clamps and it is way to much to be able to see what is behind you. I would not ride any of these bikes with the stock mirrors, just way too dangerous for me. I like to be able to see what is behind, or passing me, without moving my elbows, shoulders, or head.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Ian,

Picked mine up yesterday, and I have to agree they are fantastic bikes. I transitioned to this from a Harley Dyna Super Glide Custom, which was a beautiful bike to look at, but sadly not what I'd expected, especially over 65 ~ 70mph. Was initially sad to see it go, but certainly don't regret selling it now.

Cheers

David

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I inquired about buy back bikes. None at my dealer. Oh well. :(

·
Registered
429 Posts
Is any bike perfect? I have to say that after picking up a 2014 RT three weeks ago, this bike is very close to perfect. I love it already and it beats the passion I had for all my previous bikes (Yamaha Silverado Cruiser, Goldwing, Yamaha FJR, BMW LT).

Mine is one of the returned 2014s, so it was previously registered. It had 3000+ miles on it when I bought it and of course the recall shock was fixed.

The previous owner had gone overboard on the top case and installed the luxury top case from the GTL. My significant other loves the comfort back there!

I am already appreciating the gear shift pro. As others have said, it works best in third gear and above and with the right engine revs it's flawless.

So what's not perfect? I had to add GS mirrors, as the view behind with the standard mirrors could be better. The GS mirrors are a prefect compliment and give lots of options when used together with the standard mirrors.

The seat is a little hard for me so I see a Russell Day Long in my future!

I don't see the need for the analog speedo; its hard to read and the digital speedo in the computer menu rotation is much more useful. I would use the analog speedo space for a permanent display digital speedo.

Very minor complaints for a superb bike. I am looking forward to a long and happy life together!

Ian
How did you install the GS mirrors on the 14 RT? I will not get mine until next week. I had my older GS mirrors on my 2011 RT, and I just screwed the upper clamps on the bar and that was it. But on the 14, I don't see where you can clamp handlebar mirrors. All I see on photos are the tanks for the brake and clutch liquid and vertical clamps. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, Beemer Lovers. I am back after a long hiatus from this forum. Wrecked my '09 K1200LT, drifted away briefly with a VStrom650, bought an '05 RT, then traded it in for the NEW, almost PERFECT 2014.
In the meantime, rode my '04 GSA a lot. Back to the New bike. What a joy this scooter is! It is the best bike I have ever ridden. I now have 1300 miles on the clock, and we are still getting acquainted, but we are going to have a long and lovely relationship.
I put Wunderlich mirrors on the handlebars, using Wunderlich adapters, mentioned by the knowledgeable on this forum. The stock mirrors are the weak point on this bike, as far as I am concerned.
Also put on Hyper-Lite LEDs front and rear. Check them out. The rears are bright and flash 5 times, then stay bright as long as you hold the brake (front or rear) on. The fronts are white, and very bright. They can be set at ON, FLASH, or OFF.
I am interested in putting crash bars on to accommodate highway pegs. I am looking at Wunderlich ($455) and Ilium ($415). The latter look like a bit more hassle to put on. Still undecided.
This bike has a throttle that is "throttle-by-wire." No cable connection, and there is ZERO slack in the grip. When you roll on a bit of throttle, it is instantaneous. Nice!
The Hill-hold is cool. When riding the hills of SFO or SEA, it can be a bit intimidating to hit a red light at the top of one of the steep hills. Hill-hold takes the sweat out of it. The brakes set when the front lever is pulled in hard, and they hold until you de-clutch and roll on some throttle. No more fear of rolling backward, killing it, and struggling to keep from dropping the scoot, while some cage behind you beeps the horn, further clenching your jaws.
This bike was brand new, and I bought it hours after they put it on the floor, following the new rear shock installation.
This is one great bike, and very likely the last motorcycle I will ever buy. I have kept my GSA---it has 117K on the clock, and has great sentimental value, having carried me without trouble to Prudhoe a couple of times, Inuvik, and Ushuaia and back. Another great bike, but the RT Wethead is a whole new horse.
I bought this bike without electronic suspension---I can change it manually the few times I need different settings. No hot seats on this one. They are nice, but not a requirement. Hot gloves and a wired vest or liner are adequate for above zero riding. I live in PHX, and say out of the frozen North when the snow flies.
Oh, yeah, I put foam grips on over the handlebars, and it gives a better feel to them. The OE was too small a diameter. $14.00 well spent.
Looking forward to a trip up the West Coast of California and Oregon in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Ian
I agree about the analog speedo. Where did you find a menu option to display a digital speedo?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hello, Beemer Lovers. I am back after a long hiatus from this forum. Wrecked my '09 K1200LT, drifted away briefly with a VStrom650, bought an '05 RT, then traded it in for the NEW, almost PERFECT 2014.
In the meantime, rode my '04 GSA a lot. Back to the New bike. What a joy this scooter is! It is the best bike I have ever ridden. I now have 1300 miles on the clock, and we are still getting acquainted, but we are going to have a long and lovely relationship.
I put Wunderlich mirrors on the handlebars, using Wunderlich adapters, mentioned by the knowledgeable on this forum. The stock mirrors are the weak point on this bike, as far as I am concerned.
Also put on Hyper-Lite LEDs front and rear. Check them out. The rears are bright and flash 5 times, then stay bright as long as you hold the brake (front or rear) on. The fronts are white, and very bright. They can be set at ON, FLASH, or OFF.
I am interested in putting crash bars on to accommodate highway pegs. I am looking at Wunderlich ($455) and Ilium ($415). The latter look like a bit more hassle to put on. Still undecided.
This bike has a throttle that is "throttle-by-wire." No cable connection, and there is ZERO slack in the grip. When you roll on a bit of throttle, it is instantaneous. Nice!
The Hill-hold is cool. When riding the hills of SFO or SEA, it can be a bit intimidating to hit a red light at the top of one of the steep hills. Hill-hold takes the sweat out of it. The brakes set when the front lever is pulled in hard, and they hold until you de-clutch and roll on some throttle. No more fear of rolling backward, killing it, and struggling to keep from dropping the scoot, while some cage behind you beeps the horn, further clenching your jaws.
This bike was brand new, and I bought it hours after they put it on the floor, following the new rear shock installation.
This is one great bike, and very likely the last motorcycle I will ever buy. I have kept my GSA---it has 117K on the clock, and has great sentimental value, having carried me without trouble to Prudhoe a couple of times, Inuvik, and Ushuaia and back. Another great bike, but the RT Wethead is a whole new horse.
I bought this bike without electronic suspension---I can change it manually the few times I need different settings. No hot seats on this one. They are nice, but not a requirement. Hot gloves and a wired vest or liner are adequate for above zero riding. I live in PHX, and say out of the frozen North when the snow flies.
Oh, yeah, I put foam grips on over the handlebars, and it gives a better feel to them. The OE was too small a diameter. $14.00 well spent.
Looking forward to a trip up the West Coast of California and Oregon in a couple of weeks.
Wonder why it needed a new rear shock, as you say, but as you say, it doesn't have ESA?

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
I agree about the analog speedo. Where did you find a menu option to display a digital speedo?
There is a menu item that will let you select what you want to display on your dash when the radio isn't being used. One of the selectable option is speed, and you will get a large digital speed display on your dash.

That was how I had my '14 set up, but quite frankly, I prefer to look at the speed readout on the Nav V. It's pretty much in my line of sight, and I don't have to glance down at all, even at the digital display on the dash.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The GS mirrors fit on an RT perfectly. You will need the two new brackets with mirror post holes, that replace the front bracket of the two reservoirs on the handlebars, plus related bolts.
Ask your dealer, as I am sure they have been asked before.
I fiddled with mine a few times to get the perfect location, that still allows me to use the standard mirrors in addition to the new GS mirrors. If you need more help let me know.

Ian

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IN the Vehicle settings, you can say No to an RT background logo then you get the option for what you would like to see. One of them is digital speedo.

Ian

·
Registered
5 Posts
To Moldan: You may recall the major recall on '14 RTs. This was one of the bikes recalled prior to being sold. The new shocks came in, were installed, and then put out for sale. I don't think there was any difference between manual and electric suspension models.

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
To Moldan: You may recall the major recall on '14 RTs. This was one of the bikes recalled prior to being sold. The new shocks came in, were installed, and then put out for sale. I don't think there was any difference between manual and electric suspension models.
I am afraid that you are incorrect. The recalled shocks were for the ESA models only. The non-ESA shock is different and was not affected by the recall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I mistakenly replied to Moldan not motodan. I could be wrong as well regarding the rear shock replacement. If it only referred to the ESA model, then my new bike did not have a replacement shock installed, and I mistakenly thought that it did.
Boldrider
R1150GSA, '04
R1200RTW, '14
In The Past
K75RT, '94
KLR650, 2000
K1200LT, '09
VStrom650, '09
R1200RT, '05
Kawasaki 750, '81
Vespa 125, '60?

}

·
Registered
5 Posts
I stand corrected. I now vaguely recall that the dealer took ESAU off this bike and installed non-ESA shock. Thanks for straightening me out on this. I will check with the dealer to confirm my latest recollection.
Boldrider (old rider was already taken).

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
I stand corrected. I now vaguely recall that the dealer took ESAU off this bike and installed non-ESA shock. Thanks for straightening me out on this. I will check with the dealer to confirm my latest recollection.
Boldrider (old rider was already taken).
Now, you have me totally confused! :confused:

Does the bike have ESA or not? If not, then it would have had a non-ESA shock right from the beginning! If it does have ESA, then BMW would have sent a dummy shock to put on the bike (assuming that the bike was unsold, and sitting in the showroom or in inventory) while the bad one from the bike was sent in for repair/replace!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I guess I have been confused from the get-go. I thought the dealer told me that this was originally an ESA bike, but that, due to the recall, they changed it to manual suspension with corresponding shock. I further confused the issue by saying in my original post that they had changed a manual shock because of the recall. That clearly was not the case, as clarified here by several of your posts.
So, the short of it is that I have a manual-suspension 2014 RTW.
Thank you for the instruction and clarification.
I am now going out to pick up my new Ilium Works engine crash bars and highway pegs.
boldrider

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hello boldrider...welcome
Just to be sure what you have:
Have a look at your RHS grip. Just above the red rocker switch that starts your engine....is there a "Mode" button????

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
I guess I have been confused from the get-go. I thought the dealer told me that this was originally an ESA bike, but that, due to the recall, they changed it to manual suspension with corresponding shock. I further confused the issue by saying in my original post that they had changed a manual shock because of the recall. That clearly was not the case, as clarified here by several of your posts.
So, the short of it is that I have a manual-suspension 2014 RTW.
Thank you for the instruction and clarification.
I am now going out to pick up my new Ilium Works engine crash bars and highway pegs.
boldrider
Well, either way, I am very sure that you will enjoy the bike!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts