BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took a nice long ride around the county today, avoiding the local mountains as they are under about 2' of snow.

Heading north on the I5, a few miles north of downtown San Diego, I was in the #2 lane (2nd from the left) overtaking a vehicle in the lane to the right of me when the "driver" decided to switch lanes...no look over the shoulder, no turn signal...just the sound of Botts' Dots thumping. Luckily, I have gotten into the habit of keeping my left thumb on the horn button when riding on metro freeways, and immediately pressed it which caused her to stop her leftward advance, but not before her car was halfway into my lane.

My options were limited...there was a car in the #1 at my 7 o'clock. If she didn't react to my horn, I probably would have gunned the throttle and escaped into the #1 as there were no vehicles ahead of me.

One benefit of going through something like this is that it is helpful in identifying and predicting future accidents, and gives me a chance to go through the "what if" scenarios regarding the incident. If you assume they are going to come into your lane you are better prepared for it.

I'm not a big proponent of "loud pipes save lives," but in this situation they might have been helpful. Even so, experienced riding, and good judgement always trumps loud pipes.

Be careful out there!

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Glad you had a "contact-less" event!

I had a sImilar situation today on I-95 south approaching the top of the DC beltway. Things I attribute my "no contact" event to were:

(i) awareness of the "what if's" in an area where stupid cagers suddenly leap across three or more lanes at the last second (despite the last two miles of signs!) to go in the beltway direction opposite the direction they're currently aimed at; and

(ii) practicing to develop muscle memory so that my left thumb "pops" to the right place to instantly hit the horn -- a real problem for me with several bikes with horn buttons in several very different positions. For example, today I was on the '88 R100RT, whose horn button is high and hard to hit without stumbling over the high/low beam tang. On this bike, every time I start up the road, I have to practice 2-3 "quick hit" motions to retrain away from the last bike I was on if I have any hope of finding the horn when I need it.

The message: practice! practice! practice! even the smallest detail so that it is an automatic response when you need it!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Thanks for sharing Bill and glad you did not connect. I wonder if the driver was on a cell phone. I try to watch for that all the time as a defensive measure, but hands free limits what you can see.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts