BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure where to post this, moderaters, you are welcome to move it.

I don't normally post my mistakes, but this one made me think.

I rode 600 miles today in ten hours. 500 miles into the trip, I was on a two lane road, with a stop light coming up. Light was green, warning light was not flashing, traffic ahead of me was moving. I started playing with my GPS. I looked up and saw brake lights directly infront of me. I hit the binders. I was coming in fast enough that the car infront of me swerved to the right so I wouldn't hit him. I was able to stop in time, I would have missed the car infront of me even he didin't move right, but I would only have missed him by about 2 feet. The ABS did not engage, but I definately heard the tires start to squeal.

This was entirely my fault, I was not paying attention. I saw a green light and traffic moving, so thought all was fine.

Just thought I would let everyone know what can (and almost did) happen.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Glad you lived to learn from your mistake. We all space out from time to time, and I am no exception.

The key is to learn from those times when you catch yourself at it (letting the mind wander), and remain diligent in keeping repeat mistakes to a minimum!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hallzee said:
Glad you lived to learn from your mistake. We all space out from time to time, and I am no exception.

The key is to learn from those times when you catch yourself at it (letting the mind wander), and remain diligent in keeping repeat mistakes to a minimum!

That is why I posted this. I am no stranger to long distance riding. In the last two seasons I have done 3 SS1000's and one bun burner gold. Not all have been documented, but I did them. I know when to stop when tired etc. This was just "one of those things" and thought I would share it in case others have done similar things.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,981 Posts
Thank's for sharing Tony: I've been riding since 1970 and had my first ever major close call a few weeks ago. I was waiting to turn left & a Ford Explorer was coming at me with the right turn signal on. The Explorer started to turn right & it was a turn that has a yield sign before they can complete the right turn. I went and started to make my left turn thinking to make sure they would yield because I now had the right of way. They decided to go straight & we almost collided head on. I thought the Explorer would roll over trying to avoid me. I learned the few seconds I was trying to save isn't worth it. At least I hope I learned.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Your not alone. As much as I hate to say it...Been there, done that. Just not paying attention.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Like Hallzee sez; 'Learn from it..........' When you suck up a little seat cover, it always pays in to a higher level of education.................That little catch phrase,'stay alert'.........sort of looses it's meaning after a while..............Glad it worked out OK and thanx for a reminder to us all.............B-Safe.............Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts