BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum to post this, but the LT forum is where I spend most of my time.

A couple of months ago I posted a thread telling you guys I would be off the horse for a while after having a cerebral hemorrhage and stroke. Well, I go back to work next week and I find out when I can start riding again this week. I have documented my story (with images) for all to see if you are interested. I am hoping it can help save someone in the future. I warn you it’s not an easy read so enter at your own risk.

http://www.dealercomputing.com/tonyupdate.htm

Thank you guys for keeping me busy reading your posts. It’s nice to be coming back!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Welcome back!! :wave

·
Registered
69 Posts
Glad to hear you're doing so well. My wife is in the medical field and unfortunately most of the stories I hear don't turn out this well.

I look forward to hearing about your first ride!

·
Registered
832 Posts
tonygret said:
I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum to post this, but the LT forum is where I spend most of my time.

A couple of months ago I posted a thread telling you guys I would be off the horse for a while after having a cerebral hemorrhage and stroke. Well, I go back to work next week and I find out when I can start riding again this week. I have documented my story (with images) for all to see if you are interested. I am hoping it can help save someone in the future. I warn you it’s not an easy read so enter at your own risk.

http://www.dealercomputing.com/tonyupdate.htm

Thank you guys for keeping me busy reading your posts. It’s nice to be coming back!
I just read your whole story......All I can say is (to quote Frank Romano) Holy Crap!!
What an experience. You have my best wishes on a continued recovery. It sounds like you have a great wife and family and friends.
Take care,
Keith

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome almost back, glad to hear from you. Thanks for the information. May the distant horizon be just above your windshield soon.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Wow, quite an ordeal...and one heck of a story you wrote there. Welcome back my friend. All the best.
Toolman

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
You'll be back in the saddle soon. I'm glad you're healing.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Tony,
Welcome back and its great to hear you're doing better. From several of my personal near heaven experiences, I can say you will continue to notice many many things as each day passes that you never noticed or were inclined to care about previously....as they say, take the time to stop and smell the roses and enjoy the scenery and love that surrounds you!
God bless you and your family! :wave
Sincerely,
Kenny

·
Registered
23 Posts
I dont know you fella, but I wish you all the best.
My 25 year old son had a Dermoid Cyst removed last September, six months off work. Went back to work Feb 2010 and suffered a minor stroke in May, off work for a week and now working again.
I pray for his recovery and long life. I'll be thinking of you too.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Awesome read. I sent the link to my wife (I know she'll cry) and I'll be sending it to all my friends so they can get a head start should this happen to them. So.....really.....thank you for putting this out there.

I reckon GOD had enough angels for that day.............

Hope you're on the road real soon.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Heal well and ride, Tony!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Welcome Back Tony..
Now you can Ride like life matters..:) Enjoy
Congrats on your recovery! :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Tony as you can see I live just over the hill from you. If you need any help getting your bike back in service just PM me and we'll get her done.....

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Fantastic story Tony! Glad you are doing well. The marvels of modern medicine really amaze me at times and this is one of them.

Also, I have been teaching (as a pastor) on the wonderful benefits of a healthy marriage and I thought the following comments by you were incredible:

"...although I was surrounded by a top notch medical staff 24/7, no one could compare to my wife Grettel who was with me every minute of every day though this entire ordeal. She (kind of) slept in the ICU cot next to me every night, and catered to my every whim. I honestly don't know what I would have done without her."

What a blessing you have in your wife. When marriage is right, it is one of the richest blessings with which God ever graces us. It encourages me and really thrills my heart to hear such stories. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pastor Jack,

Thank you for the kind words. My wife read your comments and fought back the tears. Then she asked me when I was getting out of the house :)
We all need to know how important our families are and how much of a role they play in our lives, becuse as the Eagles say in their song "In a New York Minute, everything can change".

As for Motomadman,

I am still not feeling comforatble about mounting the big girl yet. Still a few cob webs to shake off. But I have to admit, i think about it every day and can't wait. I'll PM you when the time comes. Thanks!

Tony

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Tony, I just finished reading your story. Well written. You are a lucky and blessed person.
Good doctors and a good wife standing beside you.

On your first page you mentioned a previous aortic aneurysm. I would like to hear more about that as I am going in on Aug 2nd for surgery.

Hope you are riding again soon. Loved the photoshop from your son.

Dan Martin

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dan,

My aortic aneurysm was discovered before there was a rupture as apparently yours was. There are two places this can happen, the Ascending, above the heart and descending, below the heart. The Ascending ones are much more troublesome and a bit more complicated. I had an ascending aortic aneurysm. My recovery time was about 3 months. I hear the descending aortic aneurysms are considerably less recovery since they don’t have to spread your chest. The good news is you know it’s there and it’s going to get fixed. The success rate for a non-ruptured aortic aneurysm is extremely high. I am living proof. I did however have to give up my modeling job at Abercrombie.

I did so much research before the procedure that when the doctor asked me as they were rolling me in the OR, "So do you know what we are going to do today". I said "Hey, if it wasn't for the anesthesia I could probably do this myself". I caution you though, unlike this forum where it's best to get all the info you can, knowing too much about a procedure like this can make you crazy.

I PM'd you my persoanl email address if you have any specific questions. I am hoping these guys aren't getting tired of this thread in this section being about as off topic as you can get. But hey, I figure if you have a favorite watering hole; you don't go find different ones to tell different stories :) Nobody knows you or cares . .

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So guys. It's been quite a while since this post. I just updated my blog for those who were following the story. After going through some of this you get the feeling fixing the LT isn't so difficult :) If anyone knows where I can get some spare parts, let me know. By the way I have put a bunch on miles on my bikes since that last post. I enjoy it now more then ever!

The first link wil take you directly to part 4 and the next link starts at the beginning.

http://dealercomputing.com/tonyupdate.htm#Part_4

http://dealercomputing.com/tonyupdate.htm

1 - 20 of 23 Posts