·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,068 Posts
Yup!! I like my skin and want to keep it.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
For sure on every ride. :bmw:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just got back from a Labor day weekend ride with a couple of HD riders and one Old wing rider. I was the only one that rode with complete gear the whole trip.

It's the culture difference between HD riders ( mostly) and the others. Although it looks comfortable to ride with just a shirt and jeans, I to would rather keep my skin.

I don't have any grand illusions that I can survive a highspeed impact with all the gear, but why not stack the deck in your favor?

·
Registered
681 Posts
FlyK12LT said:
I don't have any grand illusions that I can survive a highspeed impact with all the gear, but why not stack the deck in your favor?
I know that God placed me on this earth for X number of days and until the last one occurs I am truly invincible and cannot be killed. Of course I have no idea when that day is so I will wear the gear too since there is nothing to say I cant be hurt real bad. I was in Galena IL yesterday with some friends and saw too many HD's to count. None of the riders had gear and only a couple wore half helmets. The friend I was with is really into HD and he was ooing and awing the whole time. I told him seeing these bikes is like getting all lathered up over seeing a ford or chevy POS. I didn't see any BMWs.. :-( I really don't get the attraction.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Right on Paul!

After having experienced a ripped left knee and sutures as a result of a low speed low side on the LT in loose gravel many years ago I am ATGATT regardless of temp. The variety and versatility of riding gear that is available these days is absolutly phenominal and you will actually be cooler in a lot of it than you would be in the bare arms type clothes! Such was not the case decades ago when a lot of us started riding. Then it was leather or skin!

The only real downside is when stopped at a roadblock or light, but I wish to keep the rest of my skin, so I choose to wear the gear.

It's a free country so make your own choice folks. I made mine long ago.

John

·
Registered
375 Posts
Even on our way over across, from the west coast to the east coast in May / June regardless where, California, Nevada, Arizona or Texas in temperatures 90 up to 100 and more we have worn our gear. Both of us, my wife also.

I think is important to your self and your relatives.

Manfred

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
pauleknight said:
Looking at the pic, the fellow in the grey gear (leftmost on the photo) is either wearing sneakers, or some new-fangled riding footgear. ;)

:corn:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am not in agreement.

I believe almost all MC crashes are preventable and also believe most can be prevented by the rider if they were paying attention or by avoiding doing something they shouldn't have done (riding too fast on gravel, swerving in and out of cars, riding too fast for conditions, riding in conditions they shouldn't be, etc).

For your proverbial Sunday afternoon ride it's my opinion (remember opinions are like a buttocks, everyone has one) wearing gear is something some will do and others will not do. You are not better because you wear it, and you are not an idiot for not wearing it.

Certainly on a longer more technical ride it is worth having good gear and wearing it. And certainly you can't predict when you're going to have that 1 in 50 crash when it isn't preventable or when you do fail to pay attention for a moment. So for those times you need to decide what an acceptable level of risk is.

I sometimes don't put on my seatbelt when going for a short trip to the store, or sometimes take it off as I enter my neighborhood. I feel it is an acceptable level of risk.

There is certainly a cost v risk decision going on as well. Good gear is expensive as is a good insurance plan. We take risks in life.

However.... I will say not wearing a helmet at least 90% of the time is unacceptable. Some can argue 100% of the time, I like to think I am a realist.

So what do others think now that I have broken the ice.

Tom
bought my 2006 K1200LT 3 weeks ago
used to have a 1985 Honda V45 as my first bike
and I am old enough to know better
btw... complete disclosure, I am a paramedic in Indpls and have first hand experience with vehicle crashes. Motorcycle crashes are quite rare.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Tom,

Since you led with "I believe" you clearly disclosed that you were expressing your personal opinion. I am unsure how you came up with "almost all MC crashes are preventable" and "that 1 in 50 crash when it isn't preventable." Maybe I could agree more if causation of many crashes was not substantially contributed to by the the operators of other, non-motorcycle, vehicles often involved in a motorcycle crash.

I, too, have EMS experience, and I also have L.E. experience investigating crashes (and yes, your use of the "current" nomenclature does count :D). Too many times the primary causation was due to a "cager" hitting a motorcycle. It is true that perhaps the motorcyclist "should" have planned for a better "escape" route, but sometimes (and I speak from first-hand crash experience) that is either not possible or is not enough.

As for "Certainly on a longer more technical ride it is worth having good gear and wearing it," my own near-fatal crash was within two miles of my home, where I was headed to pick up my SUV so I could retrieve my ill daughter from the school nurse's office. Go figure.

:corn:

·
Registered
17 Posts
For all you guys with AGATT - How often do you wash your gear? How so you wash it? How often do you clean your helmet liner - or do you just wait till it smells so bad you can't stand it any longer?

·
Registered
795 Posts
traderbob_nc said:
For all you guys with AGATT - How often do you wash your gear? How so you wash it? How often do you clean your helmet liner - or do you just wait till it smells so bad you can't stand it any longer?
For this reason I prefer textile riding garments rather than leather, I can handwash my textile garments regularly to keep them clean and shiny and breathing well. Same with my helmet, now that most have removable liners I wash mine about every week just too keep air flowing freely and keep the funk-factor down.

I agree that 100% of motorcycle accidents are avoidable, just don't ride! Of course the we make a decision to accept the risk every time we saddle up, all gear does is reduce some of the risks that we encounter on our bikes. Jesus would never crash his bike if he rode, but most of us are human and will eventually make a mistake, maybe when we do, the gear will help us get out alive and relatively unscathed but I would never rely on my gear to save my life.

A couple other thoughts, my gear is all light colors or hi-viz gear. Next time you are taking a family road trip in the car watch motorcycles zipping around you, you will see the guys with a white or silver (or the occasional hi-viz) helmets a whole lot sooner than the guys with black, graphic or no helmets. So just maybe my riding gear is also helping me avoid accidents while at the same time protecting me from the effects of an accident - 2 for 2, you won't get better odds than that :bike:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
copperstatetour said:
For this reason I prefer textile riding garments rather than leather, I can handwash my textile garments regularly to keep them clean and shiny and breathing well. Same with my helmet, now that most have removable liners I wash mine about every week just too keep air flowing freely and keep the funk-factor down.
+1

I also keep a can of Helmet Fresh on the bike, and I wear a micro-fiber liner to help absorb moisture. I keep those on the bike to so I can change them out on hot days.

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
I always put on a helmet liner (Silky) before I put on my helmet for two reasons. 1. Makes it a lot easier to slip on the helmet and 2. I wash the liner every week or so. I rotate several.

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
tlsmith083 said:
However.... I will say not wearing a helmet at least 90% of the time is unacceptable. Some can argue 100% of the time, I like to think I am a realist.
This sort of confuses me! Seems like a contradiction.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
tlsmith083 said:
I am not in agreement. I believe almost all MC crashes are preventable ... blah blah blah
I am usually smart enough not to rise to trolling bait like this, but I call BS on Tom's entire post. Of course, Tom has a right to his opinion, no matter how wrong he is.

I won't deign to address each specific point or get into a pissing contest. This is my only comment on his post.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
traderbob_nc said:
I wash my gear when it needs it. I wish I could be more specific. Here are some details:

1. LDComfort underwear and helmet liner, BMW silver function shirts and socks, other silk-like helmet liners:
I wash these after each day's ride, or every other day if I am on a long trip. They are designed to be worn for long periods and kill the bacteria that causes odors. At home I use 7th Generation clear detergent and an extra rinse cycle. On the road, I carry a small vial of baby shampoo. In both cases, they dry very quickly when hung up or rolled in a clean towel.

2. Helmet Padding:
On average, every few weeks. 7th Generation detergent on the most gentle cycle, then leave on the counter to dry in the air. According to Shoei, frequent liner washing is good for your helmet, to reduce the deleterious effect of perspiration, lotions, and shampoo residue on the EPS (hard foam) liner. Before going on rides, I am careful to spend extra time rinsing the shampoo out of my hair. I think it helps the helmet, and it makes a difference to prevent scalp itch.

3. Outer jackets and pants:
A few times a year. I remove the armor pads and turn the gear inside out before washing. I believe that washing puts stress on the seams and other protections that you depend on, but dirt, sweat, bugs, and road grime are no good either. You have to find a balance.

Hint: Some BMW gear has English washing instructions that say, "Wash Left". In German, "wash left" means "wash the garment inside-out".

'Hope this helps.

·
Registered
543 Posts
XMagnaRider said:
I am usually smart enough not to rise to trolling bait like this, but I call BS on Tom's entire post. Of course, Tom has a right to his opinion, no matter how wrong he is.

I won't deign to address each specific point or get into a pissing contest. This is my only comment on his post.
Going from HD to Beemer takes a while to loose the HD brain washing.
You are now a Beemer rider for God's sake!
Our uniform happens to be very safe. I like the hi viz myself.
Nothing says nerdy engineer type better than an R1200Rt, a white Shueberth and a Hi Viz Olympia jacket......ooooo yeah!
Ellie :bowdown: :bike:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts