BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wanted to ride north to get a taste of the Alaskan Highway. Unfortunately, to do any justice to this beautiful part of the country you really need to spend a few weeks and I just don't have that kind of available time.

So here's my idea of a minny LT adventure. The dates are used merely for purposes of an example:

Friday, July 21 Leave Portland/Vancouver and ride to Bellingham (260 miles) - Board the ferry at 6:00 PM

Saturday and Sunday, July 22 - 23 Ferry ride - $352 per passenger, $463 for motorcycle, cabins available at varying prices.

Monday, July 24 Arrive in Skagway, Alaska at 2:30 PM and ride to Whitehorse, YT Canada (112 miles). This could be a meeting place to connect with other riders.

Spend July 25 - 30 riding the Alcan Highway and returning home. Heading immediately south that's 6 days to cover around 1,860 miles. Riding up into Alaska would require a brisker pace.

Anyway, let me know what you think! Anyone interested? Do you have other ideas, suggestions other options? Anyone taken the ferry?

Dan

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
You ask for ideas, so I feel free to post a link to my recent trip to Alaska, last July.
It's a bit different from your (I rode all way up and down), but I guess you can take some ideas from there:
http://www.viajareua.com/alaskaCanada.html

I will go going again, and I guess this time I will get the ferry from Oregon to Seward or Valdez and ride all way back.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great Information

Excellent website! You have a lot of good data that I will study. Obrigado!

Dan

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Hey Dan, sounds like fun buddy! Give me a jingle or a PM and I'll tell you more about the Alaska Marine Highway (otherwise known as the "Blue Canoe" in Alaska talk!) than I can type here and keep it readable! If only I have the time to spare I could sure see joining you as well! Gotta check my schedule.

John

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the INFO

John & Marilyn,

Thanks for all the information and materials. Your tips are greatly appreciated, especially from someone like me that hasn't got a clue. It looks like August may be the month to plan for. There is lots to look forward to and think about. Thanks again...

Dan

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts