BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about getting one for awhile. Do they make much of a difference in riding comfort?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I believe that mine does. I was able to replace an Airhawk seat cushion with an Alaska Leathers Sheepskin cover.

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
Beadrider!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have had one for 5 years. Wife has pillion version, too.
We both think they are great. Cool in summer, warm in winter & extends ride comfort for 1-2 extra hours. Installs/removes in seconds. A really nice, high quality product.
One caveat though. They raise the effective seat height 1-2" & make the saddle feel a little bit wider.
If the saddle height is already an issue for you, this will exacerbate it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
VTBeemer said:
Like 1Life2Live, I use the trifecta with the Russell seat. Done a couple of 900+ mile long day rides and my @$$ survived. Expensive, but greatly improved the ride. :dance:
I have a Russell as well. Not expensive. I got mine for 300 bucks on a group buy last year. I went cheap and got vinyl and because I almost never have a passenger, elected not to get the pillion seat done. They retained the heated seat and I've been a happy camper ever since.

My last seat was leather and being an ATGATT rider I've noticed no difference in comfort between leather or vinyl.

Seriously, 300 bucks for a brand new Russell.

Bob

·
Registered
688 Posts
One thing I have learned from riding BMW's, for me, they make terrible seats. All the years I rode Harleys, I never had a bad seat (although I know some who had problems). On BMW's I tried beads, airhawk, lambskin over the stock seats. It made very little difference, maybe an hour more of ridetime. Once monkey butt sets in, nothing helps. My suggestion is to go directly to a custom seat that makes your butt happy. Nothing salvages a bad seat, nothing.

Ultra LT
95 K1200LT
08 R1200R
10 R1200RT

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I purchased an Alaska Leather pad for my R1200R a number of years ago. The 30 minute BMW torture seat was turned into a 2 hour seat with the pad. Finally ordered a Rick Mayer custom seat and solved the seat issue once and for all:

Stock vs. Rick Mayer:

Then I was seduced by the RT. While the seat was not bad, it still was only about a 2 hour seat. While I liked the Rick Mayer, I was intrigued by the Kontour seat for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it has a lot of air flow. This is important to me in south Louisiana summer heat. No monkey butt. :D

The Kontour is absolutely the best seat I have ever purchased, period. The combination of the Kontour and the BakUp back rest is perfect, and gives me the ability to ride as far as my gas tank or bladder allows.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies, For $60 I'm going to give the pad a try. I have the low set up on my bike and I really don't find it that uncomfortable until after 3 or 4 hours so I'm hoping something small like this will help.

That Kontour seat does look really nice though! How bad does it soak up water when riding in the rain?

·
Registered
104 Posts
jzzmusician said:
I have a Russell as well. Not expensive. I got mine for 300 bucks on a group buy last year. I went cheap and got vinyl and because I almost never have a passenger, elected not to get the pillion seat done. They retained the heated seat and I've been a happy camper ever since.

My last seat was leather and being an ATGATT rider I've noticed no difference in comfort between leather or vinyl.

Seriously, 300 bucks for a brand new Russell.

Bob
^^^ OP / Forum Member: With no intention of hijacking this thread, I'm in for a similar group buy deal, if this or a similar offer still exists. I like the idea of retaining the heated seat option...
Tks/Cheers
B

·
Registered
290 Posts
dabadou2 said:
Interesting.

I had an Alaskan Leather and it made little difference for me. The Airhawk has extended my riding time from 2 hours to 3+ hours.
I had the exact same experience. I only use the AirHawk now. I can ride all day with it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Markhp said:
I have had one for 5 years. Wife has pillion version, too.
We both think they are great. Cool in summer, warm in winter & extends ride comfort for 1-2 extra hours. Installs/removes in seconds. A really nice, high quality product.
One caveat though. They raise the effective seat height 1-2" & make the saddle feel a little bit wider.
If the saddle height is already an issue for you, this will exacerbate it.
+1

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
One thing on the sheepskin. On long trips I like to stand on the pegs once in a while to stretch. The sheepskin tends to flip up in the front and fold over requiring me to pull over and adjust it. I would add a strap to the front at the tank to keep it in place. That said, I'm not in love with mine and the added thickness crimps my 30inch inseam style. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pete,

You can add a nose clip to prevent it from flipping over. I think it's an extra $5 on the site. I'll let you know how it attaches when I get the pad today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Firenailer said:
Pete,

You can add a nose clip to prevent it from flipping over. I think it's an extra $5 on the site. I'll let you know how it attaches when I get the pad today or tomorrow.
Thanks, I see that now on their site but it must be ordered with the pad. I'm going to sew one on myself. I bought it in Bloomsburg last year at the rally and it was never mentioned. :confused:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I spoke to the owner Barbara at Alaska Leather when I ordered and she seems like she really tries to be helpful.

Try giving her a call, explain the situation. maybe she can set you up with something, or let you mail yours back to get re-fit.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.