BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any forum members familiar with either Trail’s End BMW in Fairbanks or The Motorcycle Shop in Anchorage? I will likely need at least a rear tire change and probably oil change on my trip this coming spring. I can do an oil change in an O-Reilly’s parking lot (BTDT), but a tire change is more problematic. Any other thoughts?

I might check the Anonymous book, but I have always considered that to be “emergency” use and hate to bother someone to ask for help with routine maintenance. Unless there is a forum member here in AK who would be willing to let a stranger use their facility for a tire change and oil change.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
FWIW...I know the Harley dealer in Anchorage is quite accommodating to traveling riders, regardless of what brand you're on. They also have free camping with available restrooms and showers.

Reactions: Voyager

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Dark Side it. =-} Won’t need a change.

Don’t recall anyone ever doing that with an LT, maybe because of the reinforced sidewall requirement.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Hi Matt, if you start out with new tires front & back you should not need to change a tire from your home to Alaska and back.

I have rode a motorcycle to Alaska & back 3 times from our home in Michigan. On a /63 R60/2 with a R60/6 motor , a '91 R100GS/PD , & a '95 R1100GS . Starting with new, duel sport...mostly road type tires The fist two times . They were wore pretty good by the time I got home , but they were still usable for a few more thousand miles. The third time I had new TKC80's kobbies on my R1100GS. We were going to Inuvik NWT then over the top of the world highway then up to Eagle Alaska. I new the Dempster , top on the world , & the
Taylor highway could be a challenging if the weather went bad, so that is why I went with the knobbies . I did take a new rear TKC80 with me & put in on around 3/4 way thru the trip. But , I put it on partly because the rear was getting wore out & partly because I was getting tired of tying the spair on my bike ever day.:wave Two of the other bikes on the trip used D/S tires with no tire problems . One other had shipped Knobbies on ahead to Dawson & we put them on there. As I remember he left the tires he road up there on there & run the knobbies the rest of the trip. :nerd:

I have been to the BMW dealer in Anchorage twice , they were nice & help me out. Once my fuel valve started leaking , & they put in a new one & once I needed to put in a new battery. :wave

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Matt, if you start out with new tires front & back you should not need to change a tire from your home to Alaska and back.

I have rode a motorcycle to Alaska & back 3 times from our home in Michigan. On a /63 R60/2 with a R60/6 motor , a '91 R100GS/PD , & a '95 R1100GS . Starting with new, duel sport...mostly road type tires The fist two times . They were wore pretty good by the time I got home , but they were still usable for a few more thousand miles. The third time I had new TKC80's kobbies on my R1100GS. We were going to Inuvik NWT then over the top of the world highway then up to Eagle Alaska. I new the Dempster , top on the world , & the
Taylor highway could be a challenging if the weather went bad, so that is why I went with the knobbies . I did take a new rear TKC80 with me & put in on around 3/4 way thru the trip. But , I put it on partly because the rear was getting wore out & partly because I was getting tired of tying the spair on my bike ever day.:wave Two of the other bikes on the trip used D/S tires with no tire problems . One other had shipped Knobbies on ahead to Dawson & we put them on there. As I remember he left the tires he road up there on there & run the knobbies the rest of the trip. :nerd:

I have been to the BMW dealer in Anchorage twice , they were nice & help me out. Once my fuel valve started leaking , & they put in a new one & once I needed to put in a new battery. :wave
Yes, the problem is that I already have two partially worn rear tires from prior trip’s so both of my rear wheels have a tire on them with about 6,000 miles left. This will easily get to Alaska, but not the nearly 10,000 mile round trip. I was trying to avoid buying a 3rd rear tire to have only partially worn out when I get back. I wanted to nearly finish off one of my current two partials. :grin:

However, if getting a tire change in AK is too much of a hassle, I will just get another new rear to mount. It looks like that may be cheaper as I see that the dealership in AK wants $60 just to mount a tire on a wheel that is already off the bike! Add the cost of paying for the tire there and it probably is cheaper to buy one here and mount it myself, even if I end up throwing away one of my partially worn tires. I take too many long trips now and it is hard to full wear out a rear tire before the next long trip requires a new one. I know, I know, a first world problem.:grin:

Reactions: Patric

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dark Side it. =-} Won’t need a change.

Don’t recall anyone ever doing that with an LT, maybe because of the reinforced sidewall requirement.
I think it is because most LT owners are smarter than that. >:)

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
It took me a few years to use up the tires I took of to put the TKC80's on. I put a new front TKC on when I got home . Then when the TKC's used up I put the tires back on that I took off before the Alaska trip. I finally used up all me spare still good used tires for my R1100GS on my R1200GSA..:wave

I do not like to have tire problems on the road, so I put on new ones if I am not positive the tires on the bike will not make the round trip. Then take them back off, put on the old ones to try to use them up around home on day rides.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts