BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HIi everyone from the U.K
I am new here , i have recently purchased a BMW R1200ST (2005) , now i did not get a lot of information on the bike , i have been doing work on it to bring it up to looking good again ..i discovered the was a 8 amh battery in the bike and that was the reaason the bike battery went flat rather fast .
So i replaced it with a 14amh battery , the bike was with out a battery for a week .
After replacing the battery i now get a half full AA battery symbol on the display on start up , i have looked it up and apparently it is to do with alarm power back up, i have nothing to set alarm or disable it and have no idea where the battery it located on the ST ,seem all information i can find relates to the GS and was wondering if someone here could help with information. as to the location of the battery

·
Registered
154 Posts
The alarm is called the DWA - presumably it means something in German. I am not sure if this will help
You can download user manuals from the internet but they just tell you to take it to the dealer.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,520 Posts
If it is like other bikes DWA units the battery for it is inside the DWA module. Give it time to recharge the internal battery and check it again after a week or so of riding.

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
If it is like other bikes DWA units the battery for it is inside the DWA module. Give it time to recharge the internal battery and check it again after a week or so of riding.
If it's just like the '07 RT that I had, then the battery is not rechargeable. I had to replace the battery. Fairly easy to do, and the battery is inexpensive, at least from what I recalled.

Reactions: beech

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
It had been a very long time since I had made the battery replacement in my 2007 RT's alarm. I have found the following link, for the instruction on how to do it, BUT I am very sure that when I did it, I did NOT have to take everything apart as this instruction would have you do. I vaguely recalled that the cover of the alarm unit was held in place with a single screw, and I was able to access it quite easily without having to take things apart. Anyway, take a look: Replacing batteries of BMW R1200RT 90 years anniversary edition alarm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It had been a very long time since I had made the battery replacement in my 2007 RT's alarm. I have found the following link, for the instruction on how to do it, BUT I am very sure that when I did it, I did NOT have to take everything apart as this instruction would have you do. I vaguely recalled that the cover of the alarm unit was held in place with a single screw, and I was able to access it quite easily without having to take things apart. Anyway, take a look: Replacing batteries of BMW R1200RT 90 years anniversary edition alarm
the ST is a different design i have since i started this thread come across some one who took out the underside of the rear mudguard to gain access to the unit as only 6 torx screws.....the bike is going into BMW for gear box and shaft oil change plus replacement rubber boots . I have sent them a email about the work and also asking the about the alarm position

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its nice to have a helpful dealer ..By return of email i was sent the workshop PDF file on accessing the DWA box and changing the battery step by step. it makes life so easy and no rear carrier removal , if it is of interest i could post the PDF file

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
It's always handy to have information on the site, in case somebody needs it! BTW, the battery is a fairly standard battery, quite readily available at hardware stores (here in the US anyway), which should be very much less expensive than buying from the dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The alarm is called the DWA - presumably it means something in German. I am not sure if this will help
You can download user manuals from the internet but they just tell you to take it to the dealer.
DWA stands for

DiebstahlWarnAlarm translated means Anti Theft Warning Alarm or DWA ,was not going to let german beat me lol

·
Registered
2005 R1200ST, 2014 R1200RT
34 Posts
Its nice to have a helpful dealer ..By return of email i was sent the workshop PDF file on accessing the DWA box and changing the battery step by step. it makes life so easy and no rear carrier removal , if it is of interest i could post the PDF file
Yes please. :)

·
Registered
2005 R1200ST, 2014 R1200RT
34 Posts
I could sure use that PDF

1 - 11 of 11 Posts