BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The military has developed airless tires. Is it even remotely possible these could be adapted for other uses: car, motorcycle, tractor - any wheeled vehicle?

·
Registered
588 Posts
That's pretty cool. I wouldn't expect to see them on civilian vehicles. We don't get shot at (well most of us don't).

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Michelin was working on something like that a few years ago they called it a , Tweel Airless Tire.

Humm google search says a couple years ago was 2007, article in HowStuffWorks.

Polaris has introduced a civilian version of the MV850 ATV it supplies to U.S. Special Forces, November 2013.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Heck, those aren't new. I had an airless rear tire on my last trip. Didn't handle worth s&^%, though.

Sorry, Howard...I couldn't resist.

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heck, those aren't new. I had an airless rear tire on my last trip. Didn't handle worth s&^%, though.

Sorry, Howard...I couldn't resist.
OK, I shoulda added: airless and safe/adequate for riding! :)

I'm just wondering if it wouldn't be neat to have a tire that could do everything our current technology does - in all modes and in all respects - without worrying about punctures. My guess: it's not possible on a motorcycle because of the unique requirements it has. On a car? Maybe!

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
The wheel barrow I have had for 10 years has an "Airless' tire. Works great as it is alway ready to use even after setting for a few years but is hard as a rock. I would not want it on any car/bike.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Tires like these were tested on a MercBenz back in 2004 - I posted pix and a link to a short video of running a tire over a curb and a view of the 'spokes' flexing and deforming. I searched in the archives, butt lately haven't been able to find most things from back in the day.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I searched in the archives, but lately haven't been able to find most things from back in the day.
that's a common problem anytime you introduce the word "senior", Dick! senior member, senior citizen, senior anything!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
that's a common problem anytime you introduce the word "senior", Dick! senior member, senior citizen, senior anything!:rolleyes:
I hear ya, Mike. Problem here is, the archives only show posts and threads back to bout Sept, 2005. So we're missing years '04 (when the first pix of that tire showed up on the internet), '03, and '02. Prior to '02, we were on either a Yahoo forum group or Egroups. No biggie on this current topic tho, as Howard's picture is definitive in the installed appearance of the 'airless tire'.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts