BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Yes, I love it. Some people hate it. Did one 1300 mile day on my 1100 with it. Not sure where you're located, guessing texas, but find someone with one and try it out before you buy. $169 is a chunk to through out for something you won't use. You can borrow mine if you come close to me.

·
Registered
835 Posts
1300 mile trip

I hated it. I bought the wooden beads from bead rider and love them

·
Registered
124 Posts
Airhawk

I guess I am in the middle of the two previous posts. Pretty good but frankly I had expected a little better.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I love it. I keep it on all the time. The key is the use of lowest air without flatting out on the seat. I have recently purchased my second one (the first one lasted about 3 years in Arizona weather) fron Derby cycles for $125

http://www.derbycycles.com/

·
Registered
321 Posts
+1 on the Beadrider..
Mine is great.. and for a lot less $$.
Jeff

·
Registered
173 Posts
+2 on the BeadRider.

I did a 966 mile day this past summer and towards the end my butt was mush, and I thought it was the BR, so I took it off. It still was mush!

Love it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Air HawK

I have had two and after the first one's seams split I received a replacement. I leave the air the same most of the time. The first one I used to blow up frequently. I really am quite satisfied with the seat but to be honest I think the fact they are sold by a med supply company is the reason they are expensive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
While I was having my bike serviced one day, I started talking to another guy doing the same ... turned out to be a motorcycle policeman of 25 years and had just ridden his bike across country. He told me the single most beneficial thing I could do for comfort was to buy an airhawk ... which the dealer had and I promptly proceeded to do. Well after decades of riding and an ongoing battle of having a raw butt on long trips ... I finally found relief. I can get on the bike, right out of my office chair, ride 4K miles, and not have butt problems. The airhawk works great if your butt problems are related to rawness from heat and from continually sliding around on the seat to find a comfortable spot from pressure points. If you just want more of a padded, lazy-boy recliner feel ... I would look elsewhere.

Motorcycle seats is not Airhawks principle business ... making seats pads using the same technology for wheelchair patients is ... so that tells you a little about their lineage.

I combined my airhawk with shifting to underwear of synthetic materials that wicks moisture away (Patagonia capilene silkweight boxers is what I have, many other polypro varieties exist). Between the wicking of the underwear, the airflow between butt and seat the airhawk allows, and the uniform air cushion the airhawk provides, I ride in great comfort now.

As earlier post says, use the minimum amount of air necessary to keep you from contacting the seat by about 1/4". The airhawk kind of feels like you are sitting in jello, with vaseline smeared between you and the seat. You feel like you're sliding around on the seat, without really ever lifting you hind-end and moving it.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Limited experience

I don’t have near the experience as everyone else with the Airhawk. However, I just purchased one for a ride I did two weeks ago, which ended up being a little over 1300 miles in a couple of days. Now it isn’t 1000 miles a day, but in the past anything over 300 miles hurt my bottom side and was horrible on my back, (back surgery). I can honestly say that my butt was much better because of Airhawk, but more importantly it was MUCH better on my back.

I will say it took a few miles to get use to the height it adds (30” inseam) and the feel of the ride. I agree with the prior post to let out most of the air, so you are ridding on just a ¼ - ½ lift. Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
garry_kramer said:
Does it work with the heated seats?

Garry

The short answer is yes. I have the Airhawk and a sheep skin cover. It takes a little longer to get hot, as expected, but in time you definitely feel the warmth of the seat. I was riding in rain/snow for many hours in 25 degree weather. My seat was that last thing I was thinking about. I even turned it off at time because I was too warm……… :eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put one on a month ago and rode 700+ the 1st weekend with little soreness. I couldnt go 250 without a sore but before that! It did take a while to get the pressure right though. Then my Sister in law, who is an equestrian dressage rider, sent me her saddle gell mat...about 5/8" thick. I put it in the airhawk encasement sack under the airhawk and promptly did a 1300 mile weekend with no problems at all. Big difference.
I bought my Airhawk new on Ebay for $90.00
Thats my story and I'm sticking with it. :dance:

·
Registered
9 Posts
12K miles this summer using airhawk. Initially, I had the large airhawk. Wrong! For an LT, all you need is the Medium size. In fact, the Large model will break your b..... The people at Airhawk quickly replaced the large for a medium and I'm sure if that hadn't worked, then they would have refunded me the purchase price. I found the medium size worked well. I don't have a lot of natural padding. Good investment!
HS

·
Registered
253 Posts
I purchased an Airhawk 2700 miles into a 3500 mile trip over Memorial Day this year. I only got to use it about 400 miles or so of that trip. I was telling my SO how comfortable it was and she wanted to try it. I never got it back until we pulled into the garage at home! Now we each have one. Love them!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Use it and Love it

txsub said:
Has anybody tried the Airhawk seat cushion on long distance rides?
I have an 06, use an airhawk on the stock seat and works well for me. Had a Corbin on the last LT and also used an airhawk on that. I like the stock seat setup with the airhawk better since I can keep it on the high setting to help see over the windshield and still flat foot it at stops.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Vaselline???

lemiller said:
While I was having my bike serviced one day, I started talking to another guy doing the same ... turned out to be a motorcycle policeman of 25 years and had just ridden his bike across country. He told me the single most beneficial thing I could do for comfort was to buy an airhawk ... which the dealer had and I promptly proceeded to do. Well after decades of riding and an ongoing battle of having a raw butt on long trips ... I finally found relief. I can get on the bike, right out of my office chair, ride 4K miles, and not have butt problems. The airhawk works great if your butt problems are related to rawness from heat and from continually sliding around on the seat to find a comfortable spot from pressure points. If you just want more of a padded, lazy-boy recliner feel ... I would look elsewhere.

Motorcycle seats is not Airhawks principle business ... making seats pads using the same technology for wheelchair patients is ... so that tells you a little about their lineage.

I combined my airhawk with shifting to underwear of synthetic materials that wicks moisture away (Patagonia capilene silkweight boxers is what I have, many other polypro varieties exist). Between the wicking of the underwear, the airflow between butt and seat the airhawk allows, and the uniform air cushion the airhawk provides, I ride in great comfort now.

As earlier post says, use the minimum amount of air necessary to keep you from contacting the seat by about 1/4". The airhawk kind of feels like you are sitting in jello, with vaseline smeared between you and the seat. You feel like you're sliding around on the seat, without really ever lifting you hind-end and moving it.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
The thought of having "vaseline smeared between you and the seat" is an absolutely terrifying thought!

·
Registered
36 Posts
HLT2 said:
12K miles this summer using airhawk. Initially, I had the large airhawk. Wrong! For an LT, all you need is the Medium size. In fact, the Large model will break your b..... The people at Airhawk quickly replaced the large for a medium and I'm sure if that hadn't worked, then they would have refunded me the purchase price. I found the medium size worked well. I don't have a lot of natural padding. Good investment!
HS
I disagree I feel the large is perfect.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts