BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the fabled ambient air temperature sensor (supposedly in the air box) and do I really want to unplug it on an early 2000 K12LT? Also how do I read the date code in the VIN?
Thanks again guys, Robert

·
Registered
498 Posts
If you are REALLY GOOD, you can reach it without removing tupperware. It is up high, kinda above and behind the left radiator. Squeeze the metal tang on one side, and it comes right off. Make sure that your brown wire (search) hasn't been cut, or your cat code plug has not been removed before unplugging this sensor. You can do one (air temp sensor or brown wire/ cat code plug) BUT NOT BOTH. You will do bad things to the motor.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cochinosucio said:
If you are REALLY GOOD, you can reach it without removing tupperware. It is up high, kinda above and behind the left radiator. Squeeze the metal tang on one side, and it comes right off. Make sure that your brown wire (search) hasn't been cut, or your cat code plug has not been removed before unplugging this sensor. You can do one (air temp sensor or brown wire/ cat code plug) BUT NOT BOTH. You will do bad things to the motor.
OK, where, when,how do I check for the brown wire/cat code plug?
Thanks, Robert

·
Registered
478 Posts
is there any diffrence between the two mods in performance or fuel milage . or do they pretty much accomplish the same thing

·
Registered
498 Posts
Individually they accomplish them same goal, better performance at all operating temps. (Ambient). They force the computer to use one fuel map. Works great. Side effect: ALWAYS RUN PREMIUM GAS, ALWAYS.
I have done this mod on all three of my LTs.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cochinosucio said:
Individually they accomplish them same goal, better performance at all operating temps. (Ambient). They force the computer to use one fuel map. Works great. Side effect: ALWAYS RUN PREMIUM GAS, ALWAYS.
I have done this mod on all three of my LTs.

I have an additional silly question. Since the sensor is giving a "bad" signal is there a replacement sensor that works and still controls detonation?

Thanks, Robert.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Scouter-50 said:
I have an additional silly question. Since the sensor is giving a "bad" signal is there a replacement sensor that works and still controls detonation?

Thanks, Robert.
Nope. Sensor is doing its job. It's the fuel map you want to fix. Disconnect sensor, fixed.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Scouter-50 said:

Thanks, Robert.
It's not a "bad" signal. It sends the ambient temp to the motronic which switches to a hot weather fuel map that causes hesitation/stumbling.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
It's my understanding that there is no brown wire to cut on a 2000 LT. I would look on mine but it is on loan right now.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
saddleman said:
It's my understanding that there is no brown wire to cut on a 2000 LT. I would look on mine but it is on loan right now.
You are correct no brown wire on 99 and 2000. Not sure when the brown wire became a factor;, but I do recall cutting it on my 03. The issue was resolved altogether on the 05 and newer models.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
saddleman said:
My 2000 did NOT have the Brown wire. Grif used a set of hemostats to reach in & unplug mine just a few weeks after I bought the bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts