BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed an air horn on the LT? The factory horn is pretty decent but after a "seasonal resident" backed into my car while I was sounding the horn I'd like a little more noise for the bike. I looked at the following website
http://www.groverairhorns.com/motorcycle/motocycle.html. If anyone is familiar with them or has a suggestion I'd like to hear about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
IMNSHO, a 'big' horn on a bike ain't the best idea. In a situation where folks are already distracted, not looking or whatever - suddenly hearing a horn that doesn't 'fit' is as distracting as looking the wrong way.

Distracted drivers hear a 'big horn' - even one like the stock LT horn - they look around real fast expecting to see a car or SUV. They'll often look right past or through a motorcycle cuz the horn sound didn't fit a motorcycle. The horn sound creates a preconception of what they expect to find. If they don't find it, the brain doesn't recognize what is actually there. While they're looking for the presumed sound source - they run over the bike.

I've considered adding more of a 'tweet' horn to my LT, but no way I'd ever add an air-horn for safety reasons. If anything, it'd likely cost rather than add. Now, for novelty use - it'd be fun!

·
Registered
294 Posts
totally disagree

Zotter said:
IMNSHO, a 'big' horn on a bike ain't the best idea. In a situation where folks are already distracted, not looking or whatever - suddenly hearing a horn that doesn't 'fit' is as distracting as looking the wrong way.

Distracted drivers hear a 'big horn' - even one like the stock LT horn - they look around real fast expecting to see a car or SUV. They'll often look right past or through a motorcycle cuz the horn sound didn't fit a motorcycle. The horn sound creates a preconception of what they expect to find. If they don't find it, the brain doesn't recognize what is actually there. While they're looking for the presumed sound source - they run over the bike.

I've considered adding more of a 'tweet' horn to my LT, but no way I'd ever add an air-horn for safety reasons. If anything, it'd likely cost rather than add. Now, for novelty use - it'd be fun!

I had a Stebel air horn on my last bike-132db. Some fool decided to lane share and i gave him a toot. He didn't look around for the 18 wheeler or the SUV--he just jerked it back into his lane. The idea is to get their attention. Most drivers are soooo involved in non driving activities- they react first to the horn-meaning DANGER and perhaps then look for the truck as I scoot past. Another Stebel is going on my new KGT as soon as I can figure how to wire it up. Toot toot just doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
While I can see your logic, my experiences with upgrading to loud horns on my motorcycles over the last 40 years do not support it. IMHO it is always better for the offending driver to be looking in your direction, even if they are not looking for a motorcycle, rather than not having them look in your direction at all. In my experience most people who hear a loud horn will hit their brakes before they even identify the source. If I could I would try to sound like an out of control fully loaded logging truck that is about to crush them out of existence :eek:.

Most air horns sold to be installed on motorcycles are nowhere near as loud as a good set of trucker horns. The compact compressors used just don't pump enough air volume. In fact Strebel and others make compact horns that are louder than most trumpet style air horns.

I think the LT horns are actually about as loud as the Howard Horns air horn I have mounted on my HD Heritage Softail. The same can't be said for the anemic electronic buzzer sounding POS that BMW put on the R1200GS :(. I will be looking for a Strebel horn to rectify that situation.

·
Miles of Smiles
1,045 Posts
OEM Horns are Fine

I had planned to install air horns as part of my farkle upgrade. After hearing the OEM's decided not to. Long ago on my last BMW I had them as well as the not so good OEM (Hec, it was a 75/5 & 1/2) switchable as required. The air horns I used more in country riding to warn animals etc. Were most effective. 30 years of development I guess, and these stock horns really rock. And now I have a spare circuit, no need to install the auto switch for the garage remote.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Last winter I bought the Fiamm 90 horn set (2 horns) from "Neodoc" on the classifieds and I installed them parallel with the OEM horns. Although the OEM horns are not bad this new "quadrofonic" sound surely draws more attention.

Finding location for them among all my extra relays and wires was a bit challenging but I managed with it (see the pics). I used a relay that is activated by the OEM horn.

I could not figure out how to install real air horns without distracting the looks of the bike.

Regards

Attachments

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
NascaLT said:
Has anyone installed an air horn on the LT? The factory horn is pretty decent but after a "seasonal resident" backed into my car while I was sounding the horn I'd like a little more noise for the bike. I looked at the following website....If anyone is familiar with them or has a suggestion I'd like to hear about it. Thanks.
Yup, we had one of those "seasonal" residents do some "backing" a few years ago. By the time he was done, 10 people were dead and 30 more injured. I was waiting for the hysterical media to suggest a 10 day waiting period on that "assault" vehicle he was driving! But, it never happened.

·
Registered
204 Posts
air horns

I have had air horns on my 99 for 4 years, horns are mounted on the left tip over bracket and compressor is tucked into the air intake on the same side.
I know for a fact they have saved by bacon twice, my second set of horns had caps to keep the bugs out. I will buy another set if these give up the ghost.
If needed I can send pics but don't seem to have any showing horns at present
David
Stockbridge Mi.
99ltc
77R100/7

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
deputy5211 said:
That's pretty funny. When I worked for the county, our Chief Deputy used to block the air horn on his car in the same manner. Almost the same human effect, just not nearly as loud as the train horn.
There are any number of videos out there just like that one. Kids in a car with a video camera drive around, scaring the [email protected]#% out of people with that outrageous horn. Funny on one level, annoying on the other.

But it's still funny to watch people leap off the ground when they are confronted by that horn. I have to imagine you could make a cager drive right off the road!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I agree -- Funny to watch others, annoying when it's you.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
hschisler said:
This might be the effect you are looking for?
Yup, that was it! At least to get people's attention in SO KA.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
Stebel air horn

Looked up this Stebel air horn. They claim 139 db! Wow!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I just had to add my two cents' worth to this thread because I live in Miami, where there are lots of "seasonal" drivers, as well as many tourists (legal or otherwise) who just don't pay attention to their driving. Just yesterday on my way to the RTE in River Ranch, some woman changed lanes right into me on the turnpike. I honked and honked as I "gently squeezed" the brakes and she just kept coming over. She only noticed me when I threw a hand up (no, I'm dignified...no bird given) in frustration and she waved back "sorry." I later had a similar experience on the way back when another cager just merged right into my riding partner. We're paying attention at all times to stay alive, but between the women putting on make-up, people on the cell phone or those with music blasting, no one can see or hear us as they try to smash us. I once blasted the LT horn right next to a young lady too busy on her phone to notice she was driving into me and with her window down, she reacted much like those in the video posted in this thread. I'll bet she remembers me each time she sees a bike and even if foul words come out of her mouth, she won't be carelessly driving into another bike. In an age when cars are more thoroughly soundproofed, having a loud horn is necessary to even be heard. If I were able, I'd install the loudest horn possible on MeinByk for that very reason. I'd rather sound like a truck than get squashed by one.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had the Stebel Air Horn on my Yamaha Venture and cars got back in their lane pronto everytime I used it. Saved me from lane drifters many times.
Never had a case where it did not stop them from moving into my lane.
They work.

I will add one to LT.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Major Hmmmmm.

Lots of empirical evidence that's make'n me re-think my intuition.

Thanks guys - may be time to get some drum punchers here too. I do have the electronic air horn from a fire engine here. Was think'n of put'n that on the Ramcharger - not sure I could fit the speaker on the LT anywhere. The one I have is the style that'd mount on a light bar.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
neodoc said:
I just had to add my two cents' worth to this thread because I live in Miami, where there are lots of "seasonal" drivers, as well as many tourists (legal or otherwise) who just don't pay attention to their driving. Just yesterday on my way to the RTE in River Ranch, some woman changed lanes right into me on the turnpike. I honked and honked as I "gently squeezed" the brakes and she just kept coming over. She only noticed me when I threw a hand up (no, I'm dignified...no bird given) in frustration and she waved back "sorry." I later had a similar experience on the way back when another cager just merged right into my riding partner. We're paying attention at all times to stay alive, but between the women putting on make-up, people on the cell phone or those with music blasting, no one can see or hear us as they try to smash us. I once blasted the LT horn right next to a young lady too busy on her phone to notice she was driving into me and with her window down, she reacted much like those in the video posted in this thread. I'll bet she remembers me each time she sees a bike and even if foul words come out of her mouth, she won't be carelessly driving into another bike. In an age when cars are more thoroughly soundproofed, having a loud horn is necessary to even be heard. If I were able, I'd install the loudest horn possible on MeinByk for that very reason. I'd rather sound like a truck than get squashed by one.
Be careful out there, Joe. Sounds like riding in Miami is a lot like SO KA!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
You can get similer reaction run a 6 volt horn on 12 volt system. They do burn out fast, but if you happen to have a stock pile of of old HD parts laying around, your in.
Duck from WV runs a big Caddie horn on his wing, not sure of the Db level but it is obnoxious.
They do have the canonball express air horn at JC Whitney complete with air tanks (if you can find a spot to mount it) set you back over $500 :eek:
Rock

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm all for the Stebel Compact Nautilus.....matter of fact I'm probably going to be ordering them this week.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts