BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
09 LT plenty of black soot out the rear of the bike indicating a rich fuel mixture, I'm pretty sure there is no way to remap the system. Has anyone run into this and what did you do to correct the issue? I'll be taking it into the shop but I was wondering if anyone has corrected the problem themselves. Maybe a Remus Exhaust to open the flow up?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Kra961 said:
09 LT plenty of black soot out the rear of the bike indicating a rich fuel mixture, I'm pretty sure there is no way to remap the system. Has anyone run into this and what did you do to correct the issue? I'll be taking it into the shop but I was wondering if anyone has corrected the problem themselves. Maybe a Remus Exhaust to open the flow up?
Kevin, let us save you a trip to the dealer. what they are going to say is: "They all do that!" And in this case, it is the correct answer. I think we all have this question early on, but a search of this site will show that it is nothing unusual. What you have is an enrichment system that kicks in whenever you start up the Bike, and that is your black soot you are seeing. In fact I keep an old piece of carpet pad under where my tailpipe exhausts onto the floor just to keep from turning the floor black.

Just ride it!

John

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
AlaskaFish said:
Kevin, let us save you a trip to the dealer. what they are going to say is: "They all do that!" And in this case, it is the correct answer. I think we all have this question early on, but a search of this site will show that it is nothing unusual. What you have is an enrichment system that kicks in whenever you start up the Bike, and that is your black soot you are seeing. In fact I keep an old piece of carpet pad under where my tailpipe exhausts onto the floor just to keep from turning the floor black.

Just ride it!

John
It also richens at high throttle accelleration to help cylinder cooling. Pretty high compression, high RPM engine, so fuel cooling is used to advantage. Notice the smoke on any LT when accellerating at full throttle.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But but ....... the nasty beast leaves black spots all over the floor!

AlaskaFish said:

Just ride it!

John
!

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I hope this reply is not seen as a hijack but maybe you have the same problem I do. My 05 starts right up but kinds chuggs for a few seconds and then idles OK. If I attempt to twist the throttle quickly the bike will die. I have to let it warm up for about 60 to 90 seconds and then gradually twist the throttle. Bike is fine once it's warm. I was not happy with this condition so I took to a dealer. They had it for two days. Put many miles on her with diagnostic equipment attached and said they can't find anything wrong. I brought her there also because my mileage was down to the mid 30's. They say they've fixed that but I've not ridden it yet to verify. They did not replace the 02 censor. Just corrected the mapping I think. Seems to me the two conditions are related.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts