BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any reason why an airfilter cannot be mounted or fabed into the air inlet and still work properly?

This would almost garuntee yearly filter changes.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Is there any reason why an airfilter cannot be mounted or fabed into the air inlet and still work properly?

This would almost garuntee yearly filter changes.
That is where they already are???:confused:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Air inlet behind nosecone
I want to avoid taking off the gas tank to change the airfilter.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
You can actually change the air filter without taking the tank off. You can just move/tilt it and leave it all connected but its not that big a deal to just remove it once you have proper quick connects. What is your objection to removing the tank?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the QD
My objection is the tupperware.
If I could just reach under the nose cone and unclip..........

·
Registered
117 Posts
Does the air filter actually get very dirty..I mean it's not like we have many dirt roads anymore..none around here anyways.
I see a sticker on mine where someone put a K+N filter on it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
No need to focus on the air filter yearly, unless the bike lives in and is constantly ridden in very dusty conditions. My '05 had the first filter change at 15,000 Kms, which was almost 5 years from new. That filter was still quite serviceable. The bike now has 42,000 Kms and the (second) air filter is still in place. I looked at it last year during installation of Wilbers shocks, still all good. A couple of dragon flies in there but not much else. I think the air intake is quite strategically positioned. HTH

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Air inlet behind nosecone
I want to avoid taking off the gas tank to change the airfilter.
I suspect the flow area is smaller and the velocity thus higher there. This will mean less surface area for filtraion and more resistance to flow. Probably not a good idea. Mine was pretty clean still after 24K so I can't imagine needing yearly changes unless you ride 25,000 miles a year through desert sand storms! :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
My last one was moldy so I changed it. I had trailered the bike from Duluth in pouring down rain for two days and then unloaded it and let it sit for two weeks. Should have ridden it a bit. That was a lot of rain!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I suspect the flow area is smaller and the velocity thus higher there. This will mean less surface area for filtraion and more resistance to flow. Probably not a good idea. )----------------------
Bingo! Look at the square inches of surface area for the stock filter, and you will see that it would be impractical, if not nearly impossible to duplicate that area elsewhere.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just completed a major service at 20K Air filter like new. Glad I didn't buy one :dance:

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I would almost bet money you could fit a K&N cold air intake filter where the air horn is. You could leave the O.E. in place and change/wash the aftermarket regularly, then check the O.E. at about 50,000 or so. Hell, it would at least keep the big bugs out.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmmmm, now that is an interesting thought, might be worth a try.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Did it even needed to be blown out?
Hi Dave, yeah I blew compressed air through it but seriously no dirt came out just one dead moth in the main chamber. :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts