BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding season is pretty much done here in Ontario. I am going to tackle changing the air filters in
the off season. Is there anything else I should be looking at while I've got the tank off?
2008 k1200lt

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Riding season is pretty much done here in Ontario. I am going to tackle changing the air filters in
the off season. Is there anything else I should be looking at while I've got the tank off?
2008 k1200lt
I would look at doing the fuel filter at the same time and possibly replacing the in tank rubber lines either with OEM as they are susceptible to Ethanol paralysis if you have Ethanol in your gas up there or replace them with the nylon flexible line kit from Euro MotoElectric.

Inspect the wiring harness and see if the covering has deteriorated which is common but maybe not so much yet on an 08 but if so, it should be re-wrapped with cloth friction tape to prevent abrasion on adjacent parts.

Not sure if all LT's came with plastic quick disconnects but if yours has QD's and they are plastic, replace them with metal ones while the tank is off.

Before you unplug the power lead from the fuel pump, put a tie wrap around it to identify it from the spare powerlet pre-wire hanging behind the covers so you don't plug the wrong wires onto the pump as the powerlet pre-wire has the same plug but is wired backwards and is hot all the time even key off.

Here is a hard one. Look up in front of the battery down to the starter and look at the hex screw that holds the starter and if possible, make sure it is tight. It can come loose and cause weird light flickering and other electrical issues as it is the ground point for the load shed relay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts