BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:wave What is the easeist way to replace the air filter on a K1200LT. I have had my 2002 K1200LT for almost a year and I have not replaced it because I have not found any good instructions. I also found a friend of mine that has not replaced his air filter in over 3 years. So any help would probably be assisting a couple of LT riders. Thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
You have to remove the gas tank, cold beer and a little rock & roll and your done. Do a search "replacing air filter". You'll find all the info you need...

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
It's a fairly time consuming job, one that should be done with other jobs as in a 12K service. You have to pull both upper fairings , radio (stingray), seat frame, gas tank.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Just sell the bike!

(Could not resist that.)
As others say, you need to take off the tupperware and the radio stingray. Not a bad procedure at all, you should learn how to do it anyway, takes a couple of hours to take off and put back together.

There are 3 tricks:

* Learn how to knock off and reinstall mirrors. Search this site for instructions if unsure. Good occasion to add safety cables to mirrors if you do not have them already.

* Use baggies or envelopes to store and sort fasteners (there are well over 20 pcs involved). Mark the locations. The general rule is: short ones go through one layer of plastic into engine or frame. Long ones go through two layers of plastic.

* After you undo the stingray, you may be able to just lift up the tank to get to the filter, without actually taking it off the bike. But I found it easier to completely remove. By the way, try to avoid having a full tank: heavy!

Good luck.

Reactions: Kellster

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Not sure if you'll pick this info up during your review process, butt.... after you remove the fuel tank, DON'T temporarily store it in a warm place, or in direct sunlight. Under those conditions, the tank material has a tendency to distort just enough to make reinstallation a 'cusser'!! ;) Also, at reinstallation, if you install the right-side lower seat bracket bolt finger tight first, the others will take a set just a leetle smoother. And while you're doing all this, now is a good time to install the fuel line metal quick-disconnects - after carefully removing all of the plastic OEM parts/pieces from the lines.

Good luck in your project.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Here's a related question in reference to fuel filter disconnects. For those who purchased used, how can you tell if the fuel filter has the metal quick disconnects without totally stripping the big girl?

Right now, either you order the kit and potentially find out you wasted your money, or you wait until the kit ships to put her back together.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
BennyBob said:
Here's a related question in reference to fuel filter disconnects. For those who purchased used, how can you tell if the fuel filter has the metal quick disconnects without totally stripping the big girl?

Right now, either you order the kit and potentially find out you wasted your money, or you wait until the kit ships to put her back together.
The stock quick disconnects are made of plastic so chances are yours are made of plastic unless the previous owner replaced them.
The only way to find out for sure is to remove the right side panel. I cannot think of another way as things are very tight in there.
Should you order a kit and find out you do not need it I am sure you can sell it in the classified on out forum.

·
Registered
66 Posts
how many QD's does one need for a typical install? I've already taken most of the fwd tupperware off my bike once.. If I do it again, I'd like to get all the things done at one time if I can ;)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Two QDs are needed. When installing, best practice is to have one M->F and the other F->M. Impossible to hook up backwards then.

Order them from beemer boneyard and a few other retailers. Some options should show up at the bottom of this page under "Similar Threads".

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Red_5 said:
how many QD's does one need for a typical install? I've already taken most of the fwd tupperware off my bike once.. If I do it again, I'd like to get all the things done at one time if I can ;)
You need 2 male couplings and 2 female couplings, along with 2 O-rings. A&S BMW sells them.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
The good news is that Beemer Boneyard's kit has all the pieces you need to replace the quick disconnects. I'll just have to pop the right panel so that I know what I need to do when that time comes.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I did replace the air filter once with out disconnecting the tank. I held the tank up while someone else slipped the air filter in. But I ended up removing it all the way to replace the fuel filter though. So there you have it for what its worth. :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ok - lets see. Pay $100 for replacement brass QD or - - - - - - - $1.68 for brass connector from plumbing supply. To replace the plastic QD you need to crimp the gas line - that took 10 seconds. Incidentally, removing the plastic QD from the line is NOT a pleasurable task.

Hmmm, without a QD, every time you need to remove the gas tank you will need to crimp the gas line - 10 seconds. I guess the inconvenience will depend on how many times you plan on removing the tank.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,594 Posts
BigGeo said:
Hmmm, without a QD, every time you need to remove the gas tank you will need to crimp the gas line - 10 seconds. I guess the inconvenience will depend on how many times you plan on removing the tank.
One reason I never installed them on my 2000LT. Just crimp the fuel lines. And I have never have to worry about the QD's leaking.

·
Registered
809 Posts
zippy_gg said:
You need 2 male couplings and 2 female couplings, along with 2 O-rings. A&S BMW sells them.
Buy extra o-rings; keep some in your side cases, particularly when taking it to the dealer for service or DIY service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mtrevelino said:
One reason I never installed them on my 2000LT. Just crimp the fuel lines. And I have never have to worry about the QD's leaking.

Can i just run a straight fuel line without brass connectors to the tank or would the line be to saggy. Just bought a 2001 K1200lt; been working on it for a while. Just got the tank off.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
epgeneral said:
Can i just run a straight fuel line without brass connectors to the tank or would the line be to saggy. Just bought a 2001 K1200lt; been working on it for a while. Just got the tank off.
You need a connector of some kind, whether the quick-disconnect or the coupling. Once you try to remove the tank you'll see why. You need to be able to "break" the fuel line, with one side going to the fuel rail, and the other going to the fuel pump.
When you remove the tank you need a way to stop fuel from flowing out. The QDs work great and are easy to use, without the QDs you need a way to squeeze the fuel line; vise-grips and 2 pennies work great PER hose (you have to stop fuel on 2 hoses).

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
amills308 said:
:wave What is the easiest way to replace the air filter on a K1200LT. I have had my 2002 K1200LT for almost a year and I have not replaced it because I have not found any good instructions. I also found a friend of mine that has not replaced his air filter in over 3 years. So any help would probably be assisting a couple of LT riders. Thanks
While I have the gas tank off to replace all the radiator hoses on my '02, I decided to take the opportunity to replace the air filter with 24K. Other than some color fading the element looked like new. Considering what you have to do to get at the air filter, I wouldn't rush to replace it alone.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I enjoy maintenance just like the rest of you. However, I own a 2000LT my friend (not a gear head) owns a 2001LT. He does nothing as far as maintenance. He occasionally brings the bike to the BNW dealer on their Saturday quick lube day. He has only returned to the dealer for tires. 40,000 miles not one problem not one. Do you'all think that maybe just maybe we baby this machine to much.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts