BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing the air filter in an LT is not a quick and easy task, with having to remove the gas tank and all. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried putting a K&N Conical filter over the air intake tube behind the headlight? It seems to me this would easily accessible for service.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,259 Posts
That's a great idea but you still need to pull the old dirty one out. Might as well replace it while you are in there and then put the K & N conical on to keep it clean and catch anything the K & N lets through.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Might as well just replace the stock filter and leave it at that. Save your money for farkles that others can see and admire... :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm ordering parts to do my 24k service. Any pictures or details would be appreciated.

I'm worried about replacing my filter during pollen season being a waste of time and effort... A cone might be a good idea....

Yall imagine a honey bee.. I wear a yellow jacket black overpants and covered head to toe and bike in yellow pollen, :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
gaghai said:
Yall imagine a honey bee.. I wear a yellow jacket black overpants and covered head to toe and bike in yellow pollen, :)
I thought that bee pollen was healthy... the health food stores sell it...

·
Registered
150 Posts
You need to find a alternative for the fuel filter first. The changing the air filter is no trouble at all once the tank is off to change the fuel filter. Both filters are suppose to be changed every 12K miles.

BTW, when I change air filters, I wash the dirty one in warm soapy water, rinse well and let dry until the next 12k service. I can't tell the difference between a new one and a cleaned one in appearance or air flow. If it didn't look perfect, I'd use a new one.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Maintenance Modifications

I still don't get it, folks relocating the air filter, gas filter, sparkplugs, etc. to make maintenance easier.

BMW says to do a bunch of stuff every 12K miles. Once you have the plastic off to change the sparkplugs and check the valves, doing the air and gas filters is quick and easy.

Seriously, who sets out to change only the air filter? And if you do, why?

I submit that folks who do these modifications to make maintenance faster and easier will spend more time doing the modification than they'll ever spend changing the filters in their stock configuration.

Hey, lots of us like to tinker and make "improvements". So do the mods, have fun, but don't kid yourself that you're gonna improve performance or save time.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I live on a dust road (dirt).

With sparse rain fall here, there is constant dust.

The first time I changed the air filter, I expected to see gray pleats. They were nice and white. I just assumed that indicated the filter works great in a dusty enviroment.

My guess is that the engine is designed to be run with just the one air filter.

Bob

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This really isn't an expensive or differcult mod. And in my opinion, I don't feel a gas filter that size has to be changed every 12K, in fact, I think 36K is more than adequate. And, in that case, and easy air filter service would be a good thing to have. I guess I'll give it a try.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts