BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dislike looking through the windshield but when I put it all the way down my face gets blasted. Most of the air must have been coming off the slanted dash nose because ever since I put this hi-density pipe insulation on the lower edge of the windshield I've been able to ride with the shield all the way down without my eyes drying up. I do put it up in the rain and noticed on interstates when passing big rigs I get more windshield flex. I suspect the foam restricts the air that used to help support the backside of the shield creating a low pressure area. The foam comes with 2 sticky edges. I only attached the top side to the shield and left the protective film on the other half so if water caused the top to fail I could reverse it. So far its seen about 8k miles, 800 in the rain and multiple washings and its still going.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
That is a first!

thanks for posting it.
Bob

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Do you need the sticky part?

Did the foam come off at speed and that is why you are using sticky tape?

I have some of that foam in the shop and it might be cool to try, but I would not want to stick it on with tape for ever.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pauleknight said:
Do you need the sticky part?

Did the foam come off at speed and that is why you are using sticky tape?

I have some of that foam in the shop and it might be cool to try, but I would not want to stick it on with tape for ever.
One way to find out. I don't think it will hurt anyone if it comes off.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Neat fix but won't it keep you from getting bugs on the INSIDE of the sshield? I thought this was a feature of the LT.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wa1200lt said:
Neat fix but won't it keep you from getting bugs on the INSIDE of the sshield? I thought this was a feature of the LT.
Only if I back up too fast. Back side gets road film but no bugs to speak of.The rain that used to penetrate via the dash nose is reduced also.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
A donkey dick air dam!

A "donkey dick air dam" ghetto mod on an LT.... :thumb: Well, I'll be - damned! :rotf:

(but you only get one thumbs up since it has to look OEM too.) Maybe with the dark black stuff and a little trimming....

...but it's not the first use on an LT: I used it to pad the hard metal support of my Back Up backrest to keep Mom happy, covered with Alcantara suede.

I think you should give it a try in a smaller diameter on the TOP of the windshield instead. I mean, if Saeng?TA sells their "micro swirl" top trim for $12.90 a FOOT :eek: (and it does work) you may have something there:

SAENG/TA, Sport Touring Accessories - Micro-Swirl™| Edging

I love that pipe insulation. I've got it surrounding vertical 2X4 supports on a storage loft in my garage to keep the car doors happy. I've also used it to cushion the horizontal top rim of hot air balloon baskets ...and the list goes on.

It's almost as useful as duct tape! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: A donkey dick air dam!

RonKMiller said:
A "donkey dick air dam" ghetto mod on an LT.... :thumb: Well, I'll be - damned! :rotf:

(but you only get one thumbs up since it has to look OEM too.) Maybe with the dark black stuff and a little trimming....

...but it's not the first use on an LT: I used it to pad the hard metal support of my Back Up backrest to keep Mom happy, covered with Alcantara suede.

I think you should give it a try in a smaller diameter on the TOP of the windshield instead. I mean, if Saeng?TA sells their "micro swirl" top trim for $12.90 a FOOT :eek: (and it does work) you may have something there:

SAENG/TA, Sport Touring Accessories - Micro-Swirl™| Edging

I love that pipe insulation. I've got it surrounding vertical 2X4 supports on a storage loft in my garage to keep the car doors happy. I've also used it to cushion the horizontal top rim of hot air balloon baskets ...and the list goes on.

It's almost as useful as duct tape! :D

Send me your check book Ron I'll dress it up purty for ya.From where I sit I don't have to look at it. My HD neighbor thinks I should chrome it. Your right BMW wouldn't be associated with something like that. But so far its outlasted my trunk latch and CD left channel and God only knows how many final drives. And when I'm out on the road and park it at night I can rest assured it will be there come morn unless a frost is predicted and Clem doesn't want to run all the way down to Ace for something to cover his spigot.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Re: A donkey dick air dam!

Samir said:
Send me your check book Ron I'll dress it up purty for ya.From where I sit I don't have to look at it. My HD neighbor thinks I should chrome it. Your right BMW wouldn't be associated with something like that. But so far its outlasted my trunk latch and CD left channel and God only knows how many final drives. And when I'm out on the road and park it at night I can rest assured it will be there come morn unless a frost is predicted and Clem doesn't want to run all the way down to Ace for something to cover his spigot.
LOL,,, how about some silver rattle can paint for your neighbor? :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts