BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At age 63, I know that most of the LT drivers are older than me. I'm thinking of switching to the RT for lighter weight and improved slow speed handling, plus the fact that I never have a passenger. I've seen the LT age poll but know nothing about RT driver's ages. Does anyone?

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
Most of the LT drivers are OLDER than you :confused: :rotf:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I guess ar 48 I am an early starter with the LT.

:histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm about to turn 63. I have one of each. LT is for when I share my ride or want to cruise with max. comfort. Older RT-P is my "run-around" bike. Age doesn't matter; ride what's comfortable.

Ray

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm 42...

42 and have been driving a LT for over a year......

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ray,

Do you find the RT comfortable for long solo rides? ie. are your arms stretched out or your feet too far back to be comfortable; or is it as comfortable a riding position as the LT

·
Registered
110 Posts
hmm... I'm in my late 30's and have been on an LT for a few years now. Does this mean I'm wise beyond my years? LOL

·
Registered
72 Posts
You are as old as you feel.

:dance: :histerica I'm 44. First LT had an RT,GS,RS loved all BMW's I've owned including the LT

·
Registered
125 Posts
I started riding the LT at the tender age of 44. I had a one year hiatus while I rode a K12GT, and then returned to the LT. I'm now 50 1/2.
I second what Ray said earlier: age doesn't matter! Ride, what fits your style and what you feel comfy with.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I was 37 when I bought my LT. :D
What surprises me most is that we're being called "drivers". :confused: Drivers!?!? :confused: I thought we were RIDERS. I know that I am! :p

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Take the top box off and try it, feels like a RT, looks better.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I am a 47 year old "driver" of an LT...BUT, I can't wait to buy a GT so I can be a PILOT!!!!! :D I promise, the moment I get the OK from the wife...I'm on a GT!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey my first post....and its about age!!

I'll start by saying hello all and glad to be here

34 here and i should be getting(shopping) my LT in about 6 months. Past rides were a 82 Yamaha seca turbo 650, Yamaha special 650, Ninja ZX1100 w/NOS (crashed it and said to myself " no more bikes till i grow up some"). Now that I'm kinda grown up its time to cruise in style and after much pre-shopping the LT has become the bike fore me at age 34. Its my view that the LT has many styles Sport,Luxury,Quality and Style.

John

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took the topbox off........big difference. It weighs 32lbs. Also keeping the gas tank one half full helps. Still the linked rear brake at very slow speeds impedes slow speed handling. It must be me but I think it is a problem if 70% of the owners deop the bike at one time or another. It is a great machine, however and a good ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, I sold my cruiser and bought this wonderful, smooth riding bike. As I pulled proudly out of the driveway showing off my new bike my daughters told my wife that Dad is officially old now...42?!?

Doug :rotf:

·
Registered
232 Posts
I posted on another forum that I had gotten my LT last fall, and one of the first replies was "My dad has one of those. It's an old man's bike."

Well I'm an old man.

I'll be 55 in a few weeks. :D

·
Registered
628 Posts
32 here, I keep her full of gas and leave the top box on but keep her on the center stand and go vroooom vroooom in the garage. Feels just like an S but doesn't lean as much, the stereo is nice though. :histerica :histerica
I have the LT because of the Mrs., and because I like farkles and need room to add them without having a sport bike that looks like it has a bunch of crap growing out of it.
I am the youngest er looking LT rider I've ever encountered, but I'm also the youngest er looking RT rider I've encountered as well, though I'd never buy one.
Pass a lot of them though. :D

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Billy said:
Still the linked rear brake at very slow speeds impedes slow speed handling. It must be me but I think it is a problem if 70% of the owners deop the bike at one time or another.
Have 15 years till I reach that point, about another 1/2 million LT miles.
Some of us don't care if we drop the bike. I have dropped every bike I have ever owned, anytime you push to find the limit of the machine (or yourself or both) you will have that.
If your worried about it try a Buick sedan, very few people ever drop them :D
Rock

·
Registered
938 Posts
If I keep riding like ive been for the last 3 years, I will easily have 740,000 miles. And that is figuring only riding till 60. Hopefully by then I can/will be retired and move somewhere warmer so i can ride year round. I'm 23. Wonder if my 2000 will last that long? Haven't had any problem with weight, I love it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts