BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 62 and have a 2005 LT which I love, except for the weight. Is the RT leg position with the knee more flexed more uncomfortable. I would love a lighter bike but I do love the winter driving comfort of the LT. I did review the poll of BMW drivers and most are younger than me. Are the ones my age all driving LT's because of the comfort or are some switiching to the RT because of the lighter weight?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Go ride one and that should give you a good idea, I have ridden the 1150 and the 1200 and would not trade the LT for them to many vibes.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I bought my 2000 LT new, when I was 63 and plan to keep it until they redesign it. I take an ERC every two years keep my skills sharp.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I am 62 as well. Went to my dealership a few months ago with intentions of buying an R1200RT. Still love the looks of it. That was until I took the LT for a spin. I think the riding positionand smooth engine make the LT more desirable. Not to mention passenger comfort. I personally like the weight of the LT. I feel like I now have a "presence" on the road. What did I move to the LT from? An F650GS!!!!

Ray

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
If you want to make it feel much lighter then take the back case off, easy to do and see how you like it, some do, some want the extra room of the case.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm 57 and just got my first LT. Traded an 04 RT for the 06. Wonderful bike that only requires just a little more attention during slow speed movement. Once you are rolling it's all good!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I currently own and ride both an LT and a 1150RT. While they are different, I don't find one more comfortable than the other with regards to leg position. (I have a 32" inseam and size 10 feet). I'm relatively thin (170 lbs 5' 10") and in good physical condition. I'm stating all of this so you have some reference for comparison against yourself. As far as handling goes, the RT is much better in my opinion and a lot easier to muscle around at slow speed.

YMMV so, if possible rent or otherwise ride an RT for a whole day to find out if you would like it better.

Good luck!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Rt Vs LT

My solution was to have the LT Triked I am almost 65 and for me was the best solution

·
Registered
247 Posts
Age ,RT vs LT

Hey young man, I ride a 2005 LT and I am 66 years on this earth. I find the LT a much more comfortable ride for long distance. I find the difference in weight between the two bikes is insignificant when it comes to smoooooothness and handling. However that being said the RT is easier to work on.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
I am 51 but could easily pass for 63 :rolleyes: and I ride my LT all around town and on the road. It has become the perfect replacement for a car in the L.A. traffic, with the added benefit of splitting lanes. Because my SO is so comfortable on the LT I can hardly think of getting a smaller - and possibly nimbler - bike.
It took me several months to a year to be very comfortable splitting lanes while 2 up, and I remember dreading making U-turns on narrow roads. Not so anymore. Can't comment on the RT as I haven't ridden a newer model. I remember not being impressed with the 1150 owned by a friend.
That is where personal preferences come into play...!

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Every day above ground is a GOOD day.

I'm 58 and in fairly good shape for an old man..... ;) Horsing a little weight around is good for you. I ride 2 up almost all of the time. That keeps me on my toes. I've never ridden an RT but I would like to. I'd only swap if I liked the bike. I plan to stick with my LT for a while.

B

·
0 Posts
i bought the LT primarily because of my wife. it is the most comfortable bike she has ever ridden, period. it is the perfect escape pod for two-up touring.

if i were riding solo i'd choose something lighter and more sporty.

in my book you are still a young man, since after all you ride a bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same concerns! Love the bike but age and inseam (30'') make me wonder sometimes. Keep the advice and input coming, there are alot of us out there with leanings toward the lighter bike. The great fear is losing the comfort of the LT and the amenities! Anybody tried a shift to the new style K1200GT???

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Ed Kopping said:
I have the same concerns! Love the bike but age and inseam (30'') make me wonder sometimes. Keep the advice and input coming, there are alot of us out there with leanings toward the lighter bike. The great fear is losing the comfort of the LT and the amenities! Anybody tried a shift to the new style K1200GT???
Yes, I am seriously considering the new GT with the top box and passenger lowered pegs for Kathy. Trying to get a test drive scheduled, although the actual purchase may be months away... or never if the bike doesn't fit the both of us!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Still Young

Bill,

I think it is part mental, as far as being old. When I get old, I think I will go for a trike like John. The power stand is a help. I am not old, just born early-Nov. 1939. Did about 20,000 miles last year.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I am 56 and am 3 months into my first LT (06). Had ridden Road King Classics until now. I really love this bike. My goal is to figure out all the features.....

Do not see me on anything else. And am looking forward to our local groups Iron Butt Run in April.

Sheepskin or Beads???????? :confused:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I traded my LT for a new RT in late November. I have a radio, Garmin 2730 with XM, and I have a new seat on order. I DO enjoy my comforts. I didn't expect it to be as comfortable for this 56 year old body as the LT was, and it isn't. But, I am satisfied. I especially like the low speed handling and lighter weight. The first time I put it up on the center stand, I nearly tossed it out of the garage.

Wayne Malaise
Rock Island, IL
06 1200RT

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
GBaker said:
I am 56 and am 3 months into my first LT (06). Had ridden Road King Classics until now. I really love this bike. My goal is to figure out all the features.....

Do not see me on anything else. And am looking forward to our local groups Iron Butt Run in April.

Sheepskin or Beads???????? :confused:
Had sheepskin, didn't do much for me. Have Beadrider.com beads, love 'em. PM if you want more specifics on my experience as this is off-topic.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming . . .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Billy said:
I am 62 and have a 2005 LT which I love, except for the weight. Is the RT leg position with the knee more flexed more uncomfortable. I would love a lighter bike but I do love the winter driving comfort of the LT. I did review the poll of BMW drivers and most are younger than me. Are the ones my age all driving LT's because of the comfort or are some switiching to the RT because of the lighter weight?
Billy I am 69 with 30in inseam. Took me a while to become accustom to the weight and tendency to fall over at slow speeds. I don't think I would trade for a lighter bike. I love this big whale.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts