BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fault. I reversed fine. Stopped for a moment to talk. Forgot I was in reverse mode and attempted to shift into first while still in reverse. It made a small clunking noise as if going into 1st but it did not. Now the shifter is limp and will not shift into any forward gear. Please tell me this is an easy inexpensive fix? (Reverser still works) Thanks

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,061 Posts
May have just snapped a ball stud on the shift linkage. The reverse has a mechanical interlock on the shift drum in the transmission such that you can only engage it when in neutral. Once in reverse the drum will not move (without breaking some steel) so the likely failure is in the linkage.

This will guide you to a repair Linkage

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I have a spare linkage I can expedite to you. PM me if you need it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
John
Thank you for your linkage article
I see where the play was taken out on the foot peg
side.There is twice as much play on the intermediate flange (10)
On my 1200 lt 09 anyway
Is there any thing you can do about that or just leave it?
IAM in the middle of repairing mine
Thank you

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,061 Posts
I don't think the side to side play on the belcrank is an issue, at least I never felt it was. The pedal was a different story.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks John. You were right. It was the number 3 ball pin in the diagram that sheared. I have one on order. Thanks for your offer Deputy...but I don't guess that I'll need it.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,061 Posts
Glad you found that. They will snap if they work loose. I always check them at each 12K or 24K and clean and lube the pockets. Never had one break but I did find a loose one once.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.