BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have tried Werks, Wunderlich, ZTecknik’s VStream. Hands down the best is AeroFlow…..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi MacBM,

First - have a glass of Shiraz on me. I'm big fan of Barossa Valley. IMHO Elderton Command Shiraz is by far the best Shiraz out there under AUD100.

Second - watch this video by "Chris on the street". Best analysis I've seen of the various options.
Aeroflow and Werks Windshields for R1200RTW - YouTube

FYI Werks now makes 24" and 26" tall windshields, just like the Aeroflow (they weren't at the time that . I chose the Werks 26" because I didn't like the purple hue on the Aeroflow, also a little less dear.
Are R1200RT wethead windshields size-compatible with the R1250RT>
That video had to be one of the one best analysis I've seen done on anything, let alone motorcycle windshields. I finally decided to pull the trigger on a different full size shield and ordered the Aeroflow medium based on the analysis. I currently have the Aeroflow sport shield on the bike (2019 RT) and I love it. Puts my helmet in the airstream fully without any buffeting while keeping me cooler in the Texas heat.

·
Registered
495 Posts
That video had to be one of the one best analysis I've seen done on anything, let alone motorcycle windshields.
Analysis? You cannot compare windshields of two different sizes and claim the taller one is superior. The closer the screen is to your helmet, the more quiet and smooth it will be ( everything else being equal ). That a shorter screen was considered almost as good does say something. I would have been glad to proved a similar product for comparison....

·
Registered
495 Posts
go on @realshelby 'compare a similar product'...I am interested in your perspective
Not going to get into a comparison here. AeroFlow makes great products. If I WERE to do a comparison, both would be the same size or as close to same as is offered. That makes a lot of difference, and that was my ONLY complaint with the Chris on the Street video.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Not going to get into a comparison here. AeroFlow makes great products. If I WERE to do a comparison, both would be the same size or as close to same as is offered. That makes a lot of difference, and that was my ONLY complaint with the Chris on the Street video.
politically correct

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've just fitted a 22" 7 Jurock in place of the stock sports screen and the reduction in wind blast is just what the doctor ordered. In my view most of the noise I hear is coming up from the road and the bike anyway, so noise reduction is not marked (with earplugs in) even though the airflow is much reduced with the screen well below my eyeline. Raising it fully didn't make any noticeable difference. A tad expensive with shipping, VAT and customs but worth it imv.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Analysis? You cannot compare windshields of two different sizes and claim the taller one is superior. The closer the screen is to your helmet, the more quiet and smooth it will be ( everything else being equal ). That a shorter screen was considered almost as good does say something. I would have been glad to proved a similar product for comparison....
Umm, I think he did just that. For him the taller one was best. The most important part of Chris's video was his description of how much buffeting each one had. Or which one had the cleanest airflow and that one was the Aeroflow. The Aeroflow is cut a little higher on the bottom allowing more air to flow behind the shield. I know from my own experience that this results in "cleaner air" hitting my helmet and this is what I'm after.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This falls into the “ for what it’s worth” catagorie.
Here is what I know. Bought a used 14 RT, it had a quiet ride windshield on it. It also came with the stock windshield. Found theQR very nice to ride behind. Just for shits and giggles I put the stock shield on and rode for about 100 miles. I found the stock shield much noisier with lots more buffeting. I like the QR much better. I am 6’2” with a 36” inseam.
What I don’t know is weather the QR is hard coated.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Umm, I think he did just that. For him the taller one was best. The most important part of Chris's video was his description of how much buffeting each one had. Or which one had the cleanest airflow and that one was the Aeroflow. The Aeroflow is cut a little higher on the bottom allowing more air to flow behind the shield. I know from my own experience that this results in "cleaner air" hitting my helmet and this is what I'm after.
Actually he tested a taller AeroFlow against a shorter Quiet Ride. Taller was indeed best.....and usually will be. Had he tested the same height AeroFlow and Quiet Ride...that would have been a fair test.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Here is what I know. Bought a used 14 RT, it had a quiet ride windshield on it. It also came with the stock windshield. Found theQR very nice to ride behind. Just for shits and giggles I put the stock shield on and rode for about 100 miles. I found the stock shield much noisier with lots more buffeting. I like the QR much better. I am 6’2” with a 36” inseam.
No, the Quiet Ride is not hard coated. No need to hardcoat them. No hardcoating means they can be polished to remove scratches and swirl marks. Something that cannot be done with a hardcoated screen.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
513 Posts
No, the Quiet Ride is not hard coated. No need to hardcoat them. No hardcoating means they can be polished to remove scratches and swirl marks. Something that cannot be done with a hardcoated screen.
Speaking of that, what do you recommend to try to get rid of some swirl marks?

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Paige Ortez, owner of Aeroflow is a friend. I've run his windshields [and headlight cover on the 07] on three bikes and they've been great.

When I was looking for a windshield for my 15RT, a buddy that owns a 15RT with a QR let me ride it. I made the decision to go with the QR.

Just guessing here, but I think the minor difference in the bodywork between the 07RT and the 15RT make the difference in how well they work. Aeroflow on the 07 RT is very quiet and allows good air flow. Pretty much similar to the QR on the 15RT.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
. . . . .

Just guessing here, but I think the minor difference in the bodywork between the 07RT and the 15RT make the difference in how well they work. Aeroflow on the 07 RT is very quiet and allows good air flow. Pretty much similar to the QR on the 15RT.
Right on! More so in going from the 2014/2020 RT to the new 2021 RT! BMW did an excellent job with the new wind-tunnel driven design of the new front end, and that really shows up with much less turbulence.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Actually he tested a taller AeroFlow against a shorter Quiet Ride. Taller was indeed best.....and usually will be. Had he tested the same height AeroFlow and Quiet Ride...that would have been a fair test.
Well, I shall find out the truth (for me) very soon as my new medium Aeroflow has just arrived. What I like about both the QR and Aeroflow is they are both wider making them a bit better at keeping cross winds off of you and both have the flare at the top. I had an Aeroflow on my old 2005 R1200RT and it was a significant improvement. From what I've been reading both the QR and Aeroflow are a significant improvement in reducing the fatiguing buffeting and subsequent noise. Heck, the tiny Aeroflow summer shield does that too. It's almost as if BMW designed the stock shield to enhance the buffeting and create more noise :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2014 R1200RT LC
47 Posts
As I’ve got your frame and also ride a 14 RT, might I ask what size QR you have?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts